You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Secret Santa 2011

RobbieOR

Stoner Metal, All of the Time: An Introduction to stoner/desert rock and other assortments

Right, here goes, I’ve had one full listen and I’m reviewing on the second time round. I’ve heard of barely any of these bands before and I don’t recognise a single track, it’s all way out of my usual spectrum and that, for me, is what Secret Santa is all about. It’s loud, dirty metal for the most part and I can only assume I’m going to have to turn in up to 11 at some point:

1. The Passing – Lamb of God

Starts slowly, gentle picking of a guitar until 30 seconds in when the riffs start and the heavy tone of the album is established. Completely instrumental this and just as I was getting in to it the track stops abruptly, I’m guessing this is the opening track of an album and leads straight in to the second track.

2. Black Tongue – Mastodon

A mate of mine loves these, so I’ve heard of them and he used to play odd bits around the house when I lived with him a few years back. Good track, excellent drumming and riffage.

3. Quote Unquote – Mr Bungle

Bit odd this one, starts off in the same vain with crunching guitars but with some plonky keys and then drops in to a slightly bonkers arrangement with vocals that sound like Paul Draper from Mansun having a go at something a bit different. Doesn’t really all come together very well for me I’m afraid.

4. Judith – A Perfect Circle

I’ve heard of these as Kurt put them on my SS in 2009 (I think!), a rock supergroup with the vocalist from Tool I believe. I like this a lot, one of the strongest on the album. Excellent vocals

5. Lee Van Cleef – Primus

Haha, didn’t expect this! Funky bass intro, Modest Mouse-esque vocals (think Dance Hall) and lyrics about the films of van Cleef and Clint Eastwood, excellent interlude to the metal.

6. Black Horse Stampede – Textures

Speaking of metal, this is heavy. Too heavy and screamy for me, my least favourite on the CD, even the interspersing of some softer singing doesn’t redeem it enough. I’m too fragile for this.

7. Seen What I Saw – Sixteen Horsepower

This starts off sounds like something I’d be more comfortable with and it’s fair to say it is. Slower paced but still with retaining elements of rock, this one instantly stands out.

8. Four Corners – Mondo Generator

Another one with a slower vibe, I thought this had a QOTSA vibe and I wasn’t wrong, this is Nick Olivieri’s full-time band since his split from QOTSA and has frequent collaborator Mark Lanegan on vocals. My second favourtie track on the album, it has an excellent lo-fi vibe to it and catchy hooks.

9. Texas Pt I & Pt II – Lowrider

Back in to the heavier side of rock here, it doesn’t have the shouting and screaming but it still attracts little attention from me, again it’s just too heavy for me.

10. Thumb – Kyuss

Kyuss, another QOTSA connection here (all the original QOTSA members where formally in Kyuss) and another track I really like. Never really paid much attention to these despite knowing a little about how they tie in with some of the other bands in the ‘Palm Desert’ scene but I’ll definitely check them out more.

11. Sabbath. Bloody Sabbath – Black Sabbath

Not really all that familiar with Sabbath but I know this is a classic. Top tune.

12. Hunger Strike – Temple of the Dog

This has a familiarity about it due to Chris Cornell’s vocals, it’s decent but a bit one paced.

13. Senor Moreno’s Plan – Hermano

Straight in with some big riffs, I’m instantly sucked in. Another band descended from the remnants of Kyuss, I’m beginning to dig the vibe that’s coming out from this mob.

14. Died in California – Fatso Jeston

One on a slightly different vibe here, less metal than most on the disc, a bit more blues and punk in this and some ace lyrics.

15. Polly Wants a Crack Rock – Desert Sessions

A track from the famous Desert Sessions, John Homme’s project which has features such contributors as Nick Olivieri, Mark Lanegan and PJ Harvey. This is stupendous, my favourite on the disc, it has everything I love about QOTSA in there - rhythm, riffs, a little bit of shouting and masses of rock and roll cool. Ace.

16. Acid Bubble – Alice in Chains

A classic band I know little about, whenever I’ve heard them they haven’t really grabbed me but I can definitely pick up on the influence they had on the grunge scene from the few bits I have heard. This is good but I won’t be clamouring to get more.

17. Blue Soul – Graveyard

A slow one to bring me down gently to the end of the record, it sounds a bit like Kermit the Frog on vocals, with a distinctly darker side than might be expected from the amphibian that brought you ‘Bein’ Green’ but it’s a great way to finish off.

So there we go, I’m delighted with the CD as it’s opened me up to lots of things that I really like and stuff that I’d been on the edges of (mostly through listening to QOTSA) without ever delving further in to. Thanks to Santa and I’m sorry that due to timing over Christmas of me being away that I’ve only just got to reviewing it.

My first thought was that this may have been from a Mr Skidfingers McGonical (if that is his real name), it’s definitely his vibe and after a bit of digging on some music threads I’m sticking with my guess.

A roaring success for me yet again in TLW SS, cheers to JNP for sorting it too.

You'd be dead right. Glad you liked it.

I did myself a copy for the car and was listening to it yesterday after reading your review and there are a few tracks I would take out, the Textures track, Hunger Strike and Quote Unquote.

I just felt those tracks (after listening to it again myself) moved away from the general vibe I was trying to get. But hindsight is a wonderful thing

I was gutted that the cover didn't print properly as the front cover should have been blue and the inside cove should have been a little more psychedelic colouring.

It's inspired me to start writing tunes again listening back to tracks like Señor Moreno's plan. Also getting back in to trying to mess around with album cover designs.

If your going to check out Kyuss, Blues For The Red Sun is the best album out of the 4.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Review time:

1. Breadfan – Metallica

I have, on several occasions, tried to properly get in to Metallica. I’ve got several albums, and I do like quite a few songs, but at times it’s just too heavy for me. Not this, though; this is just fantastic. The riffs are incredible, as one would expect, and as a perspiring (little Duncan Jenkins joke for you all there, mates) drummer, the variation in drumming is amazing. Love this song, fantastic opener for the CD, and I’d definitely appreciate anyone’s advice on what albums to listen to in order to try and really get in to them.

2. Sure Shot – Beastie Boys

One of my favourite songs by one of my favourite bands; a bonafide classic. Not sure if there’s any more I can say. The beat is typical Beastie’s: melodic, but still hardcore. If you don’t like the Beastie Boys, you might as well cut of your ears like that mad painter fella. Y’know, the Dutch one? Think he played in goal for United at one stage, too. Shit, what was his name? Raymond Van Der Gow! That’s the fella.

3. Know The Ledge – Eric B & Rakim

Another favourite from one of my favourite Hip-Hop acts. This is either a very, very pleasant coincidence, or my SS has done in research and what stuff I like. Again, there’s not much I can say about this. The beat is funky as fuck, and Rakim’s flow is just mesmerising; he’s rightly lauded by some as the greatest MC of all time. 3 boss tunes out of 3. Secret Santa knows his shit, yo.

4. Heavy Soul – The Black Keys

Make that 4 out of 4. Another band I love, and this is off their debut album, which is one of my favourite debut albums ever. I nice change from the previous tunes, but whilst this is more Bluesey, the drumming is very Hip-Hop orientated - my SS must know I’m a lover of funky beats. Dan Auerbach’s voice is tremendous, and the guitar playing is filthy in a very good way. Another hit.

5. The Girl I Love She Got... – Led Zepplin

Like most people, I love a bit of the Zep, but for whatever reason I’m not massive on them, and have never delved any deeper in to their substantial back catalogue than their greatest hits collection. This is vintage stuff, though. The instantly recognisable riff, the funky drumming – a recurring theme throughout the CD – and Robert Plant doing his thang. Can’t ask for much more, really. Well you could, but you’d have to be a massive cunt.

6. Date With The Night – Yeah, Yeah, Yeah’s

Fuck sake, stop putting songs I like on the CD! The YYY’s get a regular airing on the ipod at Casa Del Woo, and this is a prime example of why. There’s nothing I can add that I’ve not previously commented on in earlier songs. A nice modern sounding indie riff, boss drums, and Karen O proving why she’s one of the best frontwomen (frontwomen, that’s a word, isn’t it? If it’s not, it fucking should be) of the 21st century. Bitch can sing.

7. Shine Like Stars – Glasvegas

Hmm, maybe I shouldn’t have said that, as we get to a song I don’t like. Glasvegas remind me of my mid-to-late teens, when I was going through a right iffy spell in terms of the music I was listening to. I was in a dark, dark place, I kid you not, friends. They’re just a meh band. The lead singer is an obnoxious prick, and not even one who has the talent to justify it. It’s just a mediocre Indie song. Musically it does nothing, either. Not for me, sorry. You’re allowed an off day, though, SS.

8. Berlin – Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Whoa, talk about a blast from the past! I used to fucking love BRMC, but haven’t listened to them for a few years. Fuck knows why, as they’re boss. This is an awesome tune. Baby 81 is my favourite album by them, and I remember this song being one of the first few on the album as it was before ‘Weapon Of Choice’. A really catchy song by a really good band. Now we’re back on track.

9. Trick For Treat – Neon Neon

As above, Stainless Style is another album I love that I’ve not listened to for a while, and this is one of the best tunes off the album. Crack Rock’s a really good MC, and Har Mar Superstar is a winner. True fact: someone once called me Har Mar Superstar when I was in Popworld in town; it was the greatest compliment I’ve ever had. This is just a really good electronic/hip-hop collaboration. Also, SS, whilst being the initials of the album name, are also the initials of Secret Santa. Coincidence? I think not! I smell a conspiracy. *puts on tin hat*

10. Baby Says – The Kills

Despite the tracklist saying this song is called ‘Baby Girl’, which it’s not, this is a boss tune. Blood Pressures is one of my favourite albums of the last year, and I would do very bad things to Alison Mosshart, the sexy little minx. Another winner, and a more laid back feel to the song compared to the others on the album.

11. Day Tripper – Jimi Hendrix Experience

An absolute legend covering one of the best songs made. There is literally nothing I could say about this song that we don’t already know, other than I prefer this version to the original. Soz, Macca lad! Jimi Hendrix is my second favourite Hendrix of all time, after the utterly incredible Christina Hendricks. What a woman. What a rack.

12. Pictures Of Matchstick Men – Kasabian

I’m not ashamed to admit that I love the original version of this by the Quo. Kasabian are a band I used to like, and their first two albums were boss, as were the band live when they played that stuff. Bar a few songs since then, their material after that has been shite, and they seem to have disappeared right up their own arse, which is a shame. This, however, is a very good cover. I knew I recognised the riffs as they’re sampled on ‘Scorpio Rising’ by Death In Vegas, which incidentally features Liam Gallagher on vocals.

13. I Just Checked In – Kenny Rodgers

I’ve never listened to Kenny Rodgers, really, and that’s something I will be putting right in the near future. Any advice on what records to start with would be helpful, like, as the man has made a looooooot of music. Great tune, this. Again, I’m drawn instantly to the quality drumming on it than anything else.

14. Jigsaw Falling In To Place – Radiohead

Radiohead are a band I used to mock in my late teens, but I knew it wouldn’t be too long before I finally got in to them. I tend to still listen to their earlier stuff, so will have to give In Rainbows a couple more airings. Thom Yorke, despite looking like a serial killer, is a fucking genius.

15. History Song – The Good, The Bad And The Queen

Damon Albarn being Damon Albarn, which, considering Damon Albarn is a fucking genius and everything he touches turns to gold, is a very good thing. Pity TGTBATQ didn’t do more stuff, as the album was a corker.

16. Carey – Joni Mitchell

This was one of the few artists on this CD that I’d never really listen to, so I’m pleased that I really like this song. Jingly jangly acoustic singer songwriter stuff. I fucking love it, me. Joni Mitchell has a beautiful voice. I’ll be delving in to her other stuff soon. Lovely song.

17. Steve McQueen – Lambchop

Never even heard of his band, let alone listened to any of their stuff. This is a truly wonderful song, though - I’m a sucker for some strings. This is what Secret Santa is all about: discovering new acts that you really like. Hook a brother up with some recommendations, muh’fuckers.

18. (Wading Through) The Waters Of My Time – Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley is one of the most underrated artists of the past decade.

Morrissey side, he has the best voice of any artist that I regularly listen to. I often say he’s our Roy Orbison, in that he has a very unique and brilliant voice. This is one of the best songs off Coles Corner, which whilst not being my favourite album by him, is still a very fine record. If you don’t like Richard Hawley, then you’re doing music wrong.

19. Fresh Feeling – Eels

As with Lambchop, I’ve never heard of these, but this is another pearler of a song. The lead singer reminds me of Beck, and again, the drumming instantly hits me. This sounds like one of those obscure, ridiculously catchy 90’s songs, complete with a nice bit of strings in the middle of it. Another win for Secret Santa.

20. The Piano Has Been Drinking, Not Me – Tom Waits

A lovely way to end what has been, one song aside, an excellent CD. Not massively in to Tom Waits, but his gravelly voice is instantly recognisable, and I admire his stance against corporate America using his songs for adverts without his permission. You stick it to the man, Waitsy!

All in all, a really enjoyable CD, so massive thanks to my SS. It seems they did their research and had a good idea of what music I like. I don’t mind that I already own most of the stuff on this CD, as I hadn’t listened to a lot of it in a while and this will prompt me to resolve that, and the stuff I didn’t know, I really liked. It was one Glasvegas song from being perfect.

As for who it is, I’ve not got a clue. The CD was sent from Leeds if that helps anyone? A complete guess would be Cochyn, but whoever it is, many thanks, and apologies the review is so late.

I reckon that's off Jon, too.

As for Lambchop, get hold of a copy of Nixon, Al - it's fucking boss. The Zero 7 Reprise mix of Up with People is fucking amazing too; an Oxton Soul classic (not on that album, though - check it on YouTube).

I reckon that's off Jon, too.

As for Lambchop, get hold of a copy of Nixon, Al - it's fucking boss. The Zero 7 Reprise mix of Up with People is fucking amazing too; an Oxton Soul classic (not on that album, though - check it on YouTube).

For some reason, I thought Jon lived down south somewhere...

Downloaded my CDs (plural... crikey!) yesterday so will give them a listen and get the reviews up sharpish. Like the look of the tracklists a lot. Out of the two albums 'Guitar Shit' and 'Funky Shit' the former is going to get listened to first as I've neglected the world of the six string for all too long. Cheers, SS.

Right, here goes my review.

Cool vinyl cdr as I said, with peanut M&M's large bag. They were a nice touch, cheers mate ! I made a bit of a boob when I received it. I posted that I'd received it, and that 2 of the tracks on this were on the CD I had sent. The person I sent to hasn't reviewed yet so might want to guess who their Secret Santa is. My mistake I know, I was just excited ! I've left the track reviews for these blank, just take it as I think they're ace.

1. Mirrors - Crocodiles

Great start to the album. San Diego rock, slow building riff, nice guitars, floaty vocal, love it.

2. Boeing 737 - The Low Anthem

Kinda folky, Dylanesque. Not usually my cup of tea, but not bad by any means.

3. I follow Rivers - Lykke Li

Whoah ! Well outside of my comfort zone here. First thought was what the hell ! But then the trippy, dream pop, starts to grow on me. A bit like Bjork maybe ?

4. - Ace tune !

5. You Are A Tourist - Death Cab for Cutie

Slowing down the pace here. Indie, almost emo rock, soothing vocals, ethereal. Another tune not necessarily my cup of tea, but liked it.

6. Buy Nothing Day - The Go! Team

I'd heard this before. Ok, poppy and fun. This band have a singer called Chi Fukami Taylor. Just thought I'd share that.

7. Don't Play No Game That I Can't Win - Beastie Boys

Hadn't heard this before. Magic ! The boys with reggae beats, ska flavours, love it !! Santigold on female vocals, and she sounds dirty. I wanted more dammit !

8. Tumbling Dice - Rolling Dice

Which is a rare time I've been slightly disappointed to hear a Stones track. Love the Stones, just wanted maybe a bit more of the style of the previous track.

9. Desire Lines - Deerhunter

A slow number, ambient punk, jangly guitars, shoegaze music ! Just ok for me. Nothing offensive, but nothing to really get excited about. For me.

10. Recharge and Revolt - The Raveonettes

Never heard any of their stuff before. Fucking loved it man ! Love the psychotic bassline. Garage surf rock from Denmark Just intense and dark.

11. Hurt Me - The Jezabels

Aussie, intensindie. Hayley Mary on vocals, which is nice. Fast pace to it. I was thinking

Cerys Matthews or Wendy James. Not the strongest for me, but not bad.

12 - Ace tune !

13. Battery Kinzie - Fleet Foxes

This had a folk rock, 60's feel to it. Which is a good thing. Almost like Simon and Garfunkel. I could smoke a peace pipe to this. Easily.

14 Satellite - The Kills

Slow beats and dirty riffs. Reminded me of The White Stripes. Loved it !

15. The Alter - Wye Oak

All the way from Bodymore Murderland ! Gentle floaty vocals give this a Floyd feel.

Very dreamy, great guitars, builds up. Nice.

16. The Colour of Earth - PJ Harvey

Really folky. Not really something I'm into at the moment. Nice tune though. Maybe more cow bells and I'm sold !

17. Possibilty - Lykke Li

Nice finish ! Well, Swedish actually.. Floaty ethereal vocal and piano, dreamy and weird. Mmm, mmm, mmm !

Great end to a fascinating journey.

This person has a very eclectic taste in music ! This CD has definitely steered me in a few directions I never would have thought of. I will definitely be listening to more of -

Crocodiles

Lykke Li

Death Cab

Raveonnettes

I really enjoyed listening to the CD many, many times over the last few weeks, and I really appreciate the time and obvious effort you've put into it mate. Thank you so much.

Tough to guess this one. This was my first year, plus I don't really know many people's musical tastes on here. I'll shortlist 3 -

Sugar Ape

Chauncey

or The Ghost

If it's one / none of the above, can you reveal yourself for your much deserved rep please ? Ta.