You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The thing is, and I don't know how this happened, he's somehow sorted that out.  I've seen Henderson do things this season that I literally wouldn't have believed him capable of.  Taking on defenders, playing through balls even if there's a high chance it'll be cut out, even taking on shots from half-chances. 

He was doing those things in the first season, just not as often.

I posted a video at the time of the highlights of his first season, showing why I thought he'd come good as he showed in glimpses of all the quality he is showing now.

Here is that video all from his first season, now it is great he is doing it consistently.

Have to hold my hand up and say I was wrong about him.

His first couple of years here he suffered from a seeming revulsion to the act of providing the final ball, of taking the responsibility for the ultimate success of the move, and I didn't think it was curable.  He would constantly, CONSTANTLY get the ball in a promising position and then, rather than taking on a player or having a shot, retreat into a shell, cover the ball, turn his back to goal, and play a sideways/backwards pass.

That kind of mentality is a problem, but not necessarily a crippling one, for a defensive midfielder, but for someone who plays further up the pitch it was a dealbreaker as far as I was concerned.  

The thing is, and I don't know how this happened, he's somehow sorted that out.  I've seen Henderson do things this season that I literally wouldn't have believed him capable of.  Taking on defenders, playing through balls even if there's a high chance it'll be cut out, even taking on shots from half-chances.  I don't know whether to credit Rodgers, Henderson himself, Steve Peters, or some mixture thereof, but somehow Henderson grew a pair of bollocks over the summer.

As for me, I thought it was the much-discussed "purple patch" at first, but he's now done it for long enough that I have to hold my hand up and say "I was wrong."  

Henderson is now not only a suitable squad option, he's worked himself into a position where he's borderline essential to our squad, and he deserves a lot of praise for doing so.  Long may it continue.

You weren't wrong about him, because he did display (and still does imo) those traits you ascribe to him.  You were just being objective.  He was poor and now he's improved. He was bound to improve, and I believe and hope that there's plenty more to come in that regard.  The improvements in mentality I am not yet convinced of, as in every game there are signs that he hasn't conquered it yet, but if he does he'll be a decent player.

• 1 month later...

Brilliant player become key for me now. I think he has what it takes to fill stevies boot we just have to get some goals into him.

It's not about filling Gerrard's boots. They are completely different players. He has a different role in a different system but he does it brilliantly.

if any of our youngsters played for the London or Manchester clubs there'd be a media frenzy on how great they are, what they eat for lunch, etc. as it stands, i personally think Henderson is a better team player than Wilshere, an has shown a lot more than him in the past two seasons (and the stats back me up on this), as for cleverly... i hope he goes on to have a long career at the scum, he's THAT "good".

Anyone notice that when ever Rodgers wants to change something he calls Henderson over to do it?  Not the captain or Suarez or any senior player - Henderson.

He's turning into a bit of a leader and I'm sure he'll captain us in the future.

Another thing is we always go on about his energy, which is superb.  But his position is very good.

Should be starting for England in the summer.  Then again so should Sterling, Sturridge and Gerrard.

• Upvote 1