You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Britain's Underworld - Liverpool

paddyberger15

For anyone who hasn't seen this and might be interested, I thought it was quite a good watch.

Does/did anyone have any knowledge/dealings with these characters? Particularly Michael and Delroy Showers from back in the day? I know a book has been written about Warren, but I'm surprised a book hasn't been done about the Showers and including Ste French.

Anyway, have a watch and see if it brings back any memories for some. It might stimulate a bit of discussion.

[YOUTUBE]wQ67OgZYzCg[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]0plqoMRbcFU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]eYDHXZJYFBM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]nh9uP2RQr7k[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]viUEX7mDJig[/YOUTUBE]

I'll give this a watch when I get chance.

I've read both Cocky and The Devil. Both good reads, don't know whether Stephen French tells the truth or exaggerates somewhat to make it a good read.

The one thing I've gathered from hearing Ste French is that he has a massive sense of self importance. Exaggeration and a good romantic story and sense of righteous piety go hand in hand.

"I've left all that behind, that's not me, increase da peace"...but spends hours talking about how much he loved being an outlaw.

I've never met Michael Showers, last I heard he was banged up on remand in Turkey on Heroin smuggling charges, but when you see him, he looks and sounds like the most unlikely Godfather of all time.

I've no doubt that back in the 70's and 80's he ruled Tocky but if you didn't know who he was, you'd probably laugh in his face. So the stories go, he was responsible for most of the South End shit that went on for a long, long time.

He says in that Documentary that he renounced his former life, yet in 1990 he got a 20 stretch for Heroin importing and now he's back inside for his old tricks.

Last I heard, Delroy is in clink in Denmark or Holland for the same thing.

Ste French is now a pillar of the Community trying to give disaffected youth a 'way out' of the cycle of 'deprivation'.

Whilst I don't doubt that the social and economic conditions played a part in the Tocky riots, and not wanting to sound like I agree with Whitelaw and Thatcher, there were undoubtedly criminal elements at the heart of the unrest aswell.

I'll give this a watch when I get chance.

I've read both Cocky and The Devil. Both good reads, don't know whether Stephen French tells the truth or exaggerates somewhat to make it a good read.

By the way mate, I've not read or heard of The Devil. What/who's that about and written by?

trying to remember, wasnt he stopped in a car?

I do remember everyone going round saying all the time in school, Muuuuurrder haha

that and, "just cook will ya" from the Adelphi documentary

That is correct mate. He shot the lad in Toxteth and was arrested in Knotty Ash, comedy gold that moment. Obviously it is sad that somebody has died, but the arrest scene was classic

That is correct mate. He shot the lad in Toxteth and was arrested in Knotty Ash, comedy gold that moment. Obviously it is sad that somebody has died, but the arrest scene was classic

my bird seems to think it was called "blue" something or other

It was called Mersey blues, episode: murder squad.

I found a site because I remembered Elmore Davies name, he was the copper who got nicked for corruption ater it aired. Far too much of a technofobe to find a video though.

BFI | Film & TV Database | MURDER SQUAD (1999)

Yeah, Elmore Davies was the Copper who got sent down for corruption. He passed on info to Warren when he was in Holland about investigations about his gang. It was big news at the time. I bet he got a nice ride inside when the news got out that he was a bent Policeman. The Bizzies in Holland had wiretapped Warren's phone.