You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If SG Goes, Should Carra Be Captain Automatically? If Not, Who And Why?

aiyic

It's no where near as important as its made out to be, Gerrard can't even wear the armband properly for fucks sake.

Pepe for me.

I don't think Masch would be very disciplined, and would be a poor example to others. He's better in the mad-bastard role. I'll be amazed if Masch stays, which is why I didn't mention him. Pepe has the gravitas and drive to be a great motivator and rep, but I just think that goalies can't be in two places at once.

Agger is a bit left-field, but could be very effective as a leader and rep for the team.

I disagree with lifetime fan. As great as Gerrard has been for us as a performer, his on-field leadership skills have let us down on numerous occasions; he's not vocal enough, let's situations get out of hand, and goes missing at times. A mistake (understandably) was made stripping Sami of the role all those years ago (although I don't want to go there).

Did anyone notice that how John Terry was at pains to show that Gerrard was captain of England in name only?

Did you even read my post?

Disagree with me how?

Captain is mainly a superficial role and Gerrard isn't even that great at it.

I love him too, but how do you feel about goalie-captains? I'd run through a brick wall for him, but how can he be influential as last man back?

Thats an outdated view, Dino Zoff won a world cup for his country

We need a new captain that loves the club and who doesnt need his place questioned, Carra will be alright for this season but who knows after that

Did you even read my post?

Disagree with me how?

Captain is mainly a superficial role and Gerrard isn't even that great at it.

Of course I read it. How could I disagree with something I didn't read? I disagree that it's not that important.

It's you who missed that I agree with you that Gerrard is not that great at it. And no, he can't even wear the band properly.

Thats an outdated view, Dino Zoff won a world cup for his country

We need a new captain that loves the club and who doesnt need his place questioned, Carra will be alright for this season but who knows after that

The time is now. If Carra accepts the captaincy, and it's taken away after a season, people will think it's a vote of no confidence. If it's done now, it can be seen as a new-era move. I think Zoff is the exception, as is Zubizareta.

Of course I read it. How could I disagree with something I didn't read? I disagree that it's not that important.

It's you who missed that I agree with you that Gerrard is not that great at it. And no, he can't even wear the band properly.

You stated you didn't agree with me.

You didn't qualify that you agreed with part of what I was saying but disagreed with other parts. Any sensible person would take it you disagreed with my whole post.

It isn't that important. A group of fully grown men who are professional athletes know what they need to do. They do not need Gerrard or J fucking T giving Churchill esque speeches.

The actions and words of a captain off the pitch are just as important as on it.

Yes actions, words, no.

The best captain in recent British sport was Martin Johnson, his own players till this day take the piss out of his speeches, or lack of them.

They all to a man would run through a brick wall for him.

The captain should be someone who is all but guaranteed a place in the side and he should be well regarded by the group. He should also be a leader of men.

So, based on this I would go:

1. Carra - though not long term

2. Reina - not ideal as a goalie, but he ticks all the leadership and player stature boxes

After that we are perhaps looking at Kuyt (is he staying, will he be in the side regularly?); or perhaps Agger (are his injury problems behind him?)

Goalie captains don't work only if the goalie isn't good enough and Pepe probably has what it takes. Of course you never know unless he gets a shot at it but that's the case with anyone.

The 'keeper is in a unique position, almost seperate to the rest of the team, anyway. If he's worth his salt he will be constantly watching and analysing the overall game, more than an outfield player who is more involved in play.

A decent goalkeeper is captain of his defence and penalty area already. Pepe has the authority, character and intelligence to extend that upfield.

The man literally covers everyone's back anyway.

Guest PurpleNose
Yes actions, words, no.

The best captain in recent British sport was Martin Johnson, his own players till this day take the piss out of his speeches, or lack of them.

They all to a man would run through a brick wall for him.

So because Martin Johnson's speeches are shit every other captain's have to be?

Its not just about speeches anyway. Generally dealing with the board, the manager, fans, the media. Saying the right things before games. Saying the right things after games.

Pepe all day everyday. He is a fantastic leader who wont snarl and growl at his own players when he isn't happy with them. He would push the men in front of him and lead from the back.

All this nonsense about goalies being bad captains is just that. Nonsense.

Even if Stevie stays I'd love to see the band given to Pepe.

So because Martin Johnson's speeches are shit every other captain's have to be?

Its not just about speeches anyway. Generally dealing with the board, the manager, fans, the media. Saying the right things before games. Saying the right things after games.

No, it just shows 'speaches' are far too overarted.

What the fuck does the captain have to do with the board?

The captain is a ceramonial role, leading the players in to the local hospital and all that shite.

What you need is a group of leaders not a single captain.

Someone who delivers results is by far a better 'captain' than some twat like Michael Owen who knows what to say to the press.

Guest PurpleNose
No, it just shows 'speaches' are far too overarted.

What the fuck does the captain have to do with the board?

The captain is a ceramonial role, leading the players in to the local hospital and all that shite.

What you need is a group of leaders not a single captain.

Someone who delivers results is by far a better 'captain' than some twat like Michael Owen who knows what to say to the press.

I'd absolutely love a captain who took ours to task.

What the fuck has Michael Owen got to do with anything?

I want Pepe as captain. His character couldn't be more different from that odious little rat.

I'd absolutely love a captain who took ours to task.

What the fuck has Michael Owen got to do with anything?

I want Pepe as captain. His character couldn't be more different from that odious little rat.

Not going to happen is it, certainly not with Gerrard or Carra. The most vocal player against the owners is Pepe.

You were wanting a captain well versed in dealing with the press and saying the right things, thats exactly what Owen did/does. He aint a captain though by any stretch of the imagination.

I agree Pepe should be captain, the role however means more to fans and is over exagerated.

Guest PurpleNose
Not going to happen is it, certainly not with Gerrard or Carra. The most vocal player against the owners is Pepe.

You were wanting a captain well versed in dealing with the press and saying the right things, thats exactly what Owen did/does. He aint a captain though by any stretch of the imagination.

I agree Pepe should be captain, the role however means more to fans and is over exagerated.

Which is part of the reason I want him made captain. Whether Gerrard stays or not.

I don't want a captain who is a boring cunt (I'm not aiming this at Gerrard, its just a general point) spewing out cliches to the press. I want someone to take the piss out of them. Someone to put them in their place. Someone to make people aware of the situation at our club.

Which is part of the reason I want him made captain. Whether Gerrard stays or not.

I don't want a captain who is a boring cunt (I'm not aiming this at Gerrard, its just a general point) spewing out cliches to the press. I want someone to take the piss out of them. Someone to put them in their place. Someone to make people aware of the situation at our club.

I feel this is leading to a debate/argument when we pretty much both agree on the main point.

Johnson took his players out on strike against his manager and fa for more money. His speaches were shit but he 'led' them as a group.

I don't want someone who 'says' the right thing.

I want someone who 'does' the right thing.

If Gerrard leaves, Carra should be captain and Pepe vice captain. When the day comes some time in the future that Carra no longer is good enough to hold down a regular starting place, and that won't be the coming season, then Pepe should have the armband.