You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Barca £150m loan to pay wages

They should fuck that UNICEF off , cheapskates

They've actually donated over 1mil a year to Unicef aswell as part of the agreement when they started the deal off in 2006. So they actually pay for that sponsor in a way, rather than being paid for it.

I dont get all the Barca hating. An excellent club who look after their fans.

No problem with the fans.

My problem with them, is how they think they're above the rest of the world in the transfer market. Tapping up players to unsettle them, so they can drive down prices for their targets and rip off clubs. Also, they're cheating and pretty poor behaviour in the Champions League, inability to accept defeat to the superior Inter Milan etc. etc.

No problem with the fans.

My problem with them, is how they think they're above the rest of the world in the transfer market. Tapping up players to unsettle them, so they can drive down prices for their targets and rip off clubs. Also, they're cheating and pretty poor behaviour in the Champions League, inability to accept defeat to the superior Inter Milan etc. etc.

1. Every club does that. Its called bargaining. (Well most clubs and I dont like it myself)

2. Cheating? I dont hear you complaining when Torres and Gerrard dive and feign injury to try and gain an advantage.

3. I'd be pretty pissed losing and that cunt Mourinho winding me up ny running the length of the pitch.

1. Every club does that. Its called bargaining. (Well most clubs and I dont like it myself)

2. Cheating? I dont hear you complaining when Torres and Gerrard dive and feign injury to try and gain an advantage.

3. I'd be pretty pissed losing and that cunt Mourinho winding me up ny running the length of the pitch.

No club touches Barcelona when it comes to tapping up players. Look at Henry a couple of years ago, fast forward to Fabregas today. All of their presidents and players have all come out and openly discussed his transfer. Pique and their president have done the same for Torres, if they could afford Torres, believe me, they'd do it. Remember Masch last summer? I remember a good few comments from them.

They have the worst habit of it, it's a clear lack of respect for the clubs they're dealing with. But they really go over the top near enough every time they don't get their way.

They dive and cheat alot, remember Buscunts against Inter, they had the nerve to call Inter cheats yet forget their encounter with the Chavs the year before.

I hate Maureen, but I was made up for him that night, cause I couldn't stand to see Barcelona winning, after all the bitching and moaning they made about Inter's counter attacking football, and how Inter cheated, total football, some comments from that sour twat Cruyff afterwards.

I don't respect them as a club anywhere near what I used to. I prefer Inter, AC or Bayern anyday. Real Madrid are obviously the club to hate in Spain, I despise that circus just behind United and the Blueshite.

1) it's a clear lack of respect for the clubs they're dealing with. But they really go over the top near enough every time they don't get their way.

2) They dive and cheat alot, remember Buscunts against Inter, they had the nerve to call Inter cheats yet forget their encounter with the Chavs the year before.

1) Gareth Barry?

2) Gerrard CL Final?

1) Gareth Barry?

2) Gerrard CL Final?

Yeah Barry was a one off, and which final?

The difference is, Liverpool aren't seen as this wholesome, wonderful club that everyone loves and respects. More often than not, people who don't support us, hate us. Most are revelling in our current demise at the moment.

I'll also admit, I was horrified at the Barry incident, I thought we'd hit a real low there, I wasn't impressed at all. I didn't want Barry in the first place either, but tapping him up was pretty disgraceful. We shouldn't have gotten away with that so lightly, no club should. But at least I can admit that. At least we're not renowned for it.

The difference is, Liverpool aren't seen as this wholesome, wonderful club that everyone loves and respects. More often than not, people who don't support us, hate us. Most are revelling in our current demise at the moment.

I'll also admit, I was horrified at the Barry incident, I thought we'd hit a real low there, I wasn't impressed at all. I didn't want Barry in the first place either, but tapping him up was pretty disgraceful. We shouldn't have gotten away with that so lightly, no club should. But at least I can admit that. At least we're not renowned for it.

Christian Ziege?

Everyone hates Barca in Spain because they are succesful, everyone hates Liverpool in England because we were succesful.

We are actually a very popular club outside of England believe it or not and a bit like Barca in that sense everybody respects us as a club and aspires to have fans and history like ours unless you play in the same country as us obviously.

And when Gerrard went over in the box for the pen in Istanbul.

Everyone hates Barca in Spain because they are succesful, everyone hates Liverpool in England because we were succesful.

We are actually a very popular club outside of England believe it or not and a bit like Barca in that sense everybody respects us as a club and aspires to have fans and history like ours unless you play in the same country as us obviously.

It was a penalty ;)

I thought Real Marid was the club everyone in Spain hates?

Regardless of the love or lack thereof for Barcelona, the point here is that an absolute giant of the game, a team that is very successful, is IN DEBT to the tune of many millions of pounds - and not because of unscrupulous owners piling purchase debt back onto the club.

If Barca can't sustain it legitimately, given all these favourable factors:

large fanbase

large stadium

sweet tv deal

lots of recent success

then serious questions need to be asked about the future of the game.

Regardless of the love or lack thereof for Barcelona, the point here is that an absolute giant of the game, a team that is very successful, is IN DEBT to the tune of many millions of pounds - and not because of unscrupulous owners piling purchase debt back onto the club.

If Barca can't sustain it legitimately, given all these favourable factors:

large fanbase

large stadium

sweet tv deal

lots of recent success

then serious questions need to be asked about the future of the game.

But my understanding is that this is not new. This has always been the case in Spain. A local council/government/friend who owns a bank/fascist dictator will be along shortly to do the deus ex machina thing, as they always do.

That might be true but fact is I hate Barca and I hate Real. Why ? Cos they cheat in all aspecs of football from getting goverment and bank hand outs to buy untold amount of players to diving and play acting on pitch cheating to them is like dancing naked to a monkey.

Peter Jones (Yeah guy of Dragons Den) sums it up nicely for me about football clubs "You can't make money owning a football club its like pouring liquid gold down a drain"

Betcha H&G do. Just like David Dein did. Paid 292K for his 16% Arsenal shareholding and sold a 14% share for 75m. It's a stupid over-generalization.

Football will implode if it's not careful, in fact it's not careful. Look at the World Cup, FIFA have most probably made an absolute killing in South Africa. It cost South Africa something like £33 billion to put the World Cup on, they have brought in £38 billion so they've made a £5 billion profit.

FIFA will have probably doubled what the South African government have paid in the first place.

FIFA and UEFA have a lot to answer for allowing it to get as bad as it is has gotten, especially with 4 of the biggest clubs in the world being saddled with huge amounts of debt.

Betcha H&G do. Just like David Dein did. Paid 292K for his 16% Arsenal shareholding and sold a 14% share for 75m. It's a stupid over-generalization.

Yeah of course a few will make money who own clubs but in long term its a mine field and depending on results you can go from having a club worth 200 mil to having one that is worth 25m like Newcastle or Leeds.

Yeah of course a few will make money who own clubs but in long term its a mine field and depending on results you can go from having a club worth 200 mil to having one that is worth 25m like Newcastle or Leeds.

Sure things can go wrong, but if you are not stupid it doesn't seem all that different than any other business to me. It's only when ambition exceeds common sense and you ignore basic stuff like consistently spending more money than you bring in that you will fail.

If a team that wins,was it 6 trophies in a year? Plus there massive fan base can't be run in profit what hope is there for any club?

They only have to stop shovelling the money into the pockets of players and agents. Football is awash with money, it's what they do with it that is the problem.

Guest Pistonbroke

Spain are going down the same route as Greece as far as the country goes on a whole, they have lent to much and are skint. Other countries are not far behind. Football and it's overpaid players are in for a shock imo as something is going to give eventually. Personally i want the bubble to burst so the game can be restructured and clubs to be run at a profit and cheaper for the fans to watch. If the players/managers can't be arsed playing/coaching for half of what they already earn then enough others will be willing to take their greedy arse places.

Real and Barcelona have been bailed out for years now as have many clubs. It only takes a salary cap to sort this out and clubs to be given a squad total that everyone has to adhere to. It would also make the game more interesting than the usual clubs dominating each league and cup.

• 3 weeks later...

BBC Sport - Football - Extent of Barcelona's debt revealed by fresh audit

Extent of Barcelona's debt revealed by fresh audit

Barcelona had to take out a loan to pay player wages last month

A new audit into Barcelona's finances have revealed the club's debt is 442m euros (£369.5m) after a loss of more than 77m euros (£64.36m) last season.

The previous board, led by Joan Laporta, had announced the club was 11m euros in the black at the end of June.

But a new audit carried out by Deloitte for new president Sandro Rosell's team reveals a far less healthy scenario.

The news comes as Barca spokesman Toni Freixa said Arsenal are still refusing to negotiate the sale of Cesc Fabregas.

Fabregas has been the subject of a transfer saga which has run all summer, with departed Barca president Laporta and Rosell both left frustrated by Arsenal's tough stance.

Since having a 35m euro (£29m) bid turned down earlier this summer, Barca have made several attempts to speak to Arsenal, but Freixa says the Londoners are unwilling to budge.

"Arsenal don't want to sit down and negotiate with us. It's not a problem with the wishes of Cesc or of Barca - they simply don't want to negotiate," he said.

Fabregas, who still has five years to run on his Arsenal contract, has stated he would like to play for Barcelona, while Barca players such as Andres Iniesta, Xavi and David Villa have all publicly urged the 23-year-old to leave London for the Catalan giants this summer.

Still, along with Arsenal's unwillingness to enter negotiations, it remains uncertain whether Barcelona could afford what would almost certainly be a weighty fee for the Gunners playmaker.

The audit shows that Barca's costs in the 2009-10 season rose to £400m, with their income at £341.7m.

Barca also had to recently take out a loan of around £125m after falling behind with the payment of player wages at the end of June, while central defender Dymtro Chygrynskiy was hastily sold to Shakhtar Donetsk to raise much-needed funds for the club.

Nevertheless, Barca have already signed striker Villa this summer for £33.4m and are willing to spend as much or even more to bring Arsenal midfielder Fabregas to the Nou Camp, Rossell said earlier this month.