You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Degen not so bad after all....

RafaLaBamba

Yup

He was ok, provided an outlet, nothing special and I don't think anyone is claiming otherwise

But sadly, just like The Greek, he's been fucking slaughtered so much, primarily for being injured, people would argue night is day before they'd give him any credit

He provided an outlet and put his body on the line last night. He was fouled the most and kept the ball quite well. I agree that his passing is indeed terrible but he did much better than Lucas last night.

He has pace and a bit of trickery about him. If we give him some time to adapt then we might have good squad player on our hands.

Average I agree with but at least we saw something of what he can possibly do.

That and I rate everyones determination to win last night despite their lack of creativity.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair he came with a reputation for being ridiculously injury prone as well. And don't forget he was Switzerland's third choice right back at the Euro's too.

A list of accolades that would make any athlete proud.

not disagreeing with you, although i dont think he is as poor as you are making out, but the 3rd choice at the euro's thing was becuase he went into it coming straight from injury.

Not that that makes him good, just explains why 3rd choice.

He's not that fast, no.

He is fast enough to not being beaten purely on pace as a fullback. But not fast enough to beat a defender on pace alone. Those are two different things.

Degen is faster than you give him credit for, he can beat almost anyone on pace alone.

Trouble is he has a very, very poor football brain.

I don't think he has any pace, he got outran by Bale everytime they were up against each other. He had to be told by Carragher to cover his man at every throw in, he also had to be told to move up field when Carragher was bringing th ball upfield. He went writhing in pain on three different occasions and whenever he was called upon to track back he's jog back at half the speed he'd gone forward.

He's an average to below average footballer, he wasn't great last night and I'm not sure if Darby would do a better a job simply because Darby hasn't had as many games for me to judge him.

I don't think he has any pace, he got outran by Bale everytime they were up against each other. He had to be told by Carragher to cover his man at every throw in, he also had to be told to move up field when Carragher was bringing th ball upfield. He went writhing in pain on three different occasions and whenever he was called upon to track back he's jog back at half the speed he'd gone forward.

He's an average to below average footballer, he wasn't great last night and I'm not sure if Darby would do a better a job simply because Darby hasn't had as many games for me to judge him.

Like I said, poor football brain.

not disagreeing with you, although i dont think he is as poor as you are making out, but the 3rd choice at the euro's thing was becuase he went into it coming straight from injury.

Not that that makes him good, just explains why 3rd choice.

Yeah I know. I was guilty of exaggerating for effect there.

He'd probably be second choice anyway, though, behind Behrami.

At one point in the game he outdribbled Bale and took the ball from defense to midfield. I would hardly think that would happen if he didnt have any pace at all.

I never said he was slow or anything. Only said that he isn't fast enough to be regarded a particulary fast player.

He doesn't have tempo problems :P

threads like this make me laugh!!

degan whilst not the best player anyone has seen did a job lastnight like the rest of the team....yes thats right TEAM!! Last time i looked each team had 11 players on the park and the idea is for that team to function together and try and win the game. Lets be honest it not like we can go out and blow a shit load of money on another player to replace him is it?

WE WON who gives a shit who played bad as a TEAM effort we played better than ive seen us play in a while

He is not the best but, when fit, not the worst. Don´t think he will ever be much different.

Fuck me, there are some miserable people on here.

I am not a Rafa fan, but we won last night, gave it our all. We are Liverpool fans, be happy just for once.

Anybody see when the ball went out for a throw early in the game and Degen just left the ball there which meant Carra had to move an extra few yards to get it.

'DEGEN! DEGEN! THE FUCKING BALL! SOFT TWAT!'

Aye, see it when the camera went on Degen and you could hear Carra in the background going DEGEN DEEEEEEGEN, DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEGEN. getting him to pull back a bit.

He proper flinched.

Given his contribution (or to be more accurate lack of contribution) since siging for our club 18 months ago it is hardly surprising that he gets stick especially when we hear rumours of how much we are paying him.

Personally I felt his best games for us were earlier this season (Leeds, Arsenal and maybe even Fulham prior to the red) and showed me he can play a bit. Now Glen is out and so we need to rejig the right side so to me to include Degen is sensible as he is experienced and has shown he can get forward. Tbh the Stoke game and last night he has not been quite as good as before but the thing I did like was the effort he showed (are u watching Babel) and his willingness to chase around and also to get up again after being heavily clattered. Also imo he showed more ability as a RM to do what RMs should do than Dirk (not hard) - namely get into the box, find space, run into it, try to find colleagues with incisive passes (which did not always come off but hey you have to try as that is the way you break defences down)...etc. Obviously the worst moment for him last night was when he passed instead of shooting which was painful to watch - I loved him getting into the position and as the ball came to him I just wanted him to have a go (even if it was off target) and he bottled it and passed - shocking!! Shows a lack of confidence in his ability to be a real attacker - which is bad for a RM. But then that is not really his position - tbh I don't see Carra as a FB and much prefer him at CB and I usually dislike Skrtel (tho he was OK yesterday) so i would prefer a back four of Degen, Carra, Greek and Aurelio whilst Glen is out with Maxi as RM probably (depenidng on how he plays when given longer on the pitch)