You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Degen not so bad after all....

RafaLaBamba

Hes average. I don't see how anyone could see him as being totally shite nor above average. He'd probably be a good player for a lower table team.

Plus hes played a handful of games now. Wait till the end of the season before we judge. As alot of people have pointed out he looks like he wants to do well.

Lucas got by on that merit for ages till his performances picked up.Degen should be given the same chance.

is right, repped.

The lad is decent, he's certainly not Liverpool class and I doubt anyone would honestly say he is, but he's doing a decent job.

He didnt do anything spectacularly right or comically wrong last night. He should have shot when he got the chance but there have been so many times that i've seen other players do that this season. Benayoun, Kuyt etc.

He shouldnt be first choice, and hopefully soon enough he wont be. In fact, if Benayoun was fit he wouldnt be, if maxi settles he wont be, if johnson was fit he wouldnt be, it torres was fit he wouldnt be, if babel wasnt a shithouse he wouldnt be etc.

Cut the lad some slack, in the full knowledge that he's not going to be bothering you permanently for much longer, and save your anger and bile for someone or something that really deserves it.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So to make ourselves feel better we are comparing ourselves with the yids? Jesus Christ, we are in crisis.

Perspective Mr Nando. Try it. I stopped posting here because of the ridiculous lack of perspective. We overachieved last season, turning draws into wins with many last gasp goals, until our spectacular end of season run. This season, we've underachieved, turning draws into losses, or wins into draws by conceding last minute goals I hope we now go on a run similar to last season.

But overall, we a re a weak squad, because we dont have the money to compete. People can hate net spend all they like but its a reflection on our ability to attract and buy the best players, who afterall are the ones we want and who we sold the club in order to be able to afford.

This year, we concentrated all our moneies into making the first choice 11 the strongest it could be, with the unfortunate effect of leaving us with a thinner squad due to having to sell in order to buy. Given the injuries that still plague us (5 missing last night) the we are doing ok, sad as that may be and until we get proper investment, this is the way its going to be. Spurts and Citeh have bigger squads more expensively assembled than ours, yet were going to romp to 3rd whilst they flag and fall by the wayside.

he shouldn't ever play for us again. Because he's not good enough, end of story.

Also, what's all this tosh about him having "pace"?????

Last night, on tow occasions he had a five yard head start on his man and missed out miserably both times.

he's just absolutely shit.

Anyway, fuck it. I'm trying not to moan today, and he'll never get a sniff ones we get some players back. I was fucking made up with the result and if we can just keep scrapping wins like this until we get our big guns back in the team, then we have a (long) chance of fourth.

Perspective Mr Nando. Try it. I stopped posting here because of the ridiculous lack of perspective. We overachieved last season, turning draws into wins with many last gasp goals, until our spectacular end of season run. This season, we've underachieved, turning draws into losses, or wins into draws by conceding last minute goals I hope we now go on a run similar to last season.

But overall, we a re a weak squad, because we dont have the money to compete. People can hate net spend all they like but its a reflection on our ability to attract and buy the best players, who afterall are the ones we want and who we sold the club in order to be able to afford.

Spurts and Citeh have bigger sqauds more expensively assembled than ours, yet were going to romp to 3rd whilst they flag and fall by the wayside.

You talk about perspective when the yids haven't won an away game against a top four team for 16 years?

I really don't care about our over achievement last season, but when we are comparing ourselves to a bunch of cuntish under achievers, it tends to irk me.

Wow we are average, great!

he shouldn't ever play for us again. Because he's not good enough, end of story.

Last night, on tow occasions he had a five yard head start on his man and missed out miserably both times.

Anyway, fuck it. I'm trying not to moan today, and he'll never get a sniff ones we get some players back. I was fucking made up with the result and if we can just keep scrapping wins like this until we get our big guns back in the team, then we have a (long) chance of fourth.

He does have pace. Anyone can see that. Don't make me school you *again* Tom.

If we keep scrapping wins like this for a month (when our big guns come back) we'd have beat Wolves, Bolton, Everton, Arsenal and City.

I'd think wins against all of them would have 3rd in our sights.

All things considered I think he did okay this past couple of games and I'm glad to have him available under these conditions. I don't think he'll be here next season and if he gets a few appearances now he'll maybe command a little bit of a fee too.

Certainly one bonus from him is his attitude and that's probably more important than normal right now. Better players with shitter attitudes just don't work out at times like this.

I've not read the match thread or any other comments on here about the match but did those who've really got worked up about Degen get worked up most because Maxi was on the bench instead of him?

If we can get £2 Million for Voronin I seriously think we could get that for Degen.

Told ya so.

Degen has been progressive all season. Which does beg the question with Degen AND Kelly as right backs why did he buy Johnson?

Johnson needs to play on the wing now. An unintended consequence and maybe a happy accident. No?

Also Carragher was awesome last night.

Nice to see the players get motivated AFTER they crossed the line.

If Benitez wont do it then Carragher will have to.

Looks like theyre managing themselves right now.

Players 10 Benitez 1.

Told ya so.

Degen has been progressive all season. Which does beg the question with Degen AND Kelly as right backs why did he buy Johnson?Johnson needs to play on the wing now. An unintended consequence and maybe a happy accident. No?

Players 10 Benitez 1.

It doesn't really given that Johnson is a top-class player whereas Degen is a decent but injury-prone back-up and Kelly's a kid. Neither are first teamers...

It doesn't really given that Johnson is a top-class player whereas Degen is a decent but injury-prone back-up and Kelly's a kid. Neither are first teamers...

And Johnson is a 17m injury prone right back.

Dont get me wrong, im glad Johnson plays for Liverpool, but i think given the price of any decent winger is out of our league, then we need to move him forward.

Kelly will be fine.

Chuck him back in when hes fit i say.

Thought he did well last night and he is better in midfield, as he doesn't need to be as solid defensively.

But ultimately he is average and not good enough for us, given we want to be challenging for the title.

In the summer I think he should be sold, along with Riera, Babel and Kuyt - three players who we could lose, get some decent funds and then reinvest in better players.

Told ya so.

Degen has been progressive all season. Which does beg the question with Degen AND Kelly as right backs why did he buy Johnson?

Johnson needs to play on the wing now. An unintended consequence and maybe a happy accident. No?

Players 10 Benitez 1.

That is utter tosh. So basically, if we show desire and win, its because the players did it, if we show no desire and lsoe, its rafa's fault. Priceless.

The players should be fired up, and as captain, it was a great lead by example performance by Carra, but it doesnt mean by any stretch that the players are managing themselves, thats just crap.

Were they wrong then, do you think?

Isn't it irrelevant?

Right or wrong a player at least deserves a decent chance. What possible benefit could is achieved by getting on a players back before he's touched a ball then moaning and whinging (especially in the ground) when a pass goes stray as soon as he get's a game?

That is utter tosh. So basically, if we show desire and win, its because the players did it, if we show no desire and lsoe, its rafa's fault. Priceless.

It's not a new thing on here.

It's always been the managers fault when we lose and when we in we get phrases like "we win inspite of benitez not because of him". We've had people wish we lose before now because it might hasten the departure of the manager going back a good few seasons.

Isn't it irrelevant?

Right or wrong a player at least deserves a decent chance. What possible benefit could is achieved by getting on a players back before he's touched a ball then moaning and whinging (especially in the ground) when a pass goes stray as soon as he get's a game?

No. The thread is about his ability (or lack of). Not sure why you feel the need to avoid all that and try to steer the discussion in a different direction (actually I am, but we'll let it go).

So, do you think he's rubbish then?

If I was Deggen then i would consider hanging myself today because I was so fucking bad last night.

Hmm, worth a try.

TomR, stare into your monitor. Repeat the following for the next 5 minutes:

I am Degen

I am Degen

I am ....

The forum can thank me en masse later !

The players should be fired up, and as captain, it was a great lead by example performance by Carra, but it doesnt mean by any stretch that the players are managing themselves, thats just crap.

You said it.

And theyre not are they?

Thats why last year we beat our title rivals home and away, yet dropped points against lesser sides.

Its Benitez that needs to motivate his team, and he doesnt do it well enough.

Do you think Lucas, Babel, Insua etc are suitably revved up to play Stoke, Birmingham Wigan etc? Do you think they grew up knowing who htese teams are? Thats the boss's job to point out that theyre in a battle EVERY WEEK to win the prem. Benitez has failed on that score. Too cagey, too cold.

This is not news.

Last night, Carragher with the licence as captain, did Benitez' job for him once they crossed the line.

If Carragher had not done that and set the tone, i doubt we would have even drawn the game.

Credit to him.

No. The thread is about his ability (or lack of). Not sure why you feel the need to avoid all that and try to steer the discussion in a different direction (actually I am, but we'll let it go).

So, do you think he's rubbish then?

And the post I responded to directly was about the idea of giving him time and patience which was a pointless comment given his fate was decided long before he'd even signed.

As others have said he's never going to be a world beater but he's as far away from that as he is from being complete shit. He's an average premier league right back/wing back. Although he's also far better than alot of young defenders we've released in the past 10 years that had angry posts dedicated too even taking into account the scouse/local living co-efficient.