You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

From the Melwood section on the Offy :

If possible, I like to be out on the training pitch with the players during the session so I can see how the players are performing. Sometimes I am in meetings, though, but we have a top class staff at the club who all do a good job every day.

....and they must have all been raving about Dossena on the left in training, and needing two goals to get back in the game, they must have suggested swapping a defensive midfielder for another defensive midfielder, as going to three at the back and putting an extra forward on would have been ridiculous.

Does nobody on the backroom staff question any of these decisions? I have always been pro Rafa, but my patience is wearing mighty thin.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

....and they must have all been raving about Dossena on the left in training, and needing two goals to get back in the game, they must have suggested swapping a defensive midfielder for another defensive midfielder, as going to three at the back and putting an extra forward on would have been ridiculous.

Does nobody on the backroom staff question any of these decisions? I have always been pro Rafa, but my patience is wearing mighty thin.

I admire you for having that much patience mate

I looked hard at Mascherano's tackle. I cant see intent and I watched all the replays. Ben Haim makes a lot of noise but doesnt seem to get caught. He then spends the next minute or so remonstrating with a few Liverpool players before falling to the ground and rolling around. I can see intent to get Mascherano sent off.

And the ref duly complies.

I totally agree with this. In fact, I thought Mason's all round performance was dreadful. He was very easily influenced by the slobbering mongs in the crowd, of which they are plenty. The bookings against Lucas and Johnson were shambolic refereeing.

Brown's tackle with his studs up was far worse than The Chief's - and that wasn't even a booking.

I'm sick of watching opposition teams play more cohesively than we do. Happens most weeks these days. Aboslutely no pattern to our play.

Also defensive headers. Every single one of our players just tries to get the ball as far up the pitch as possible. Not one tries to play it to another red shirt. Woeful.

Edited by cmuller

It was me who predicted that Piquionne would score and when he did (with a fucking brilliant finish to boot) I just laughed to myself.

Today was just horrible. I've said it before that if a manager makes a decision I don't agree with i'm happy to go along with it if there's some logic involved.

Today there were several things which just had no base of logic whatsoever for me. Insua has been really poor all season yet he was in the team ahead of Aurelio, who is a clearly superior player.

Dossena has been demoted in terms of squad number and hasn't been involved, yet in he comes ahead of Benayoun; one of our best players in terms of ability and certainly form.

Kuyt has been dreadful all season yet he continues to be selected for the amount of ground he covers. I said before the game that it didn't look right to me for us to have a midfield of, Kuyt-Lucas-Masch-Dossena and that turned out to be a correct concern.

As for the match itself, we were extremely poor. The sending off didn't change the game at all as we were already stinking the place out at that point and 1-0 behind.

The substitutions were also laughable. 1-0 down in a game we really need to score a goal in; swap the left backs around. Then at 2-0 down, with attacking players on the bench (Babel and N'Gog), change the defensive midfielder! There is no logic whatsoever in those decisions and this is the biggest issue right now. Rafa's ability to make decisions has always been cause for debate, but right now it's deteriorating even further.

Having said all of that, I actually felt sorry for Rafa watching the post match interview. He looked a broken man and his answers indicated to me that he's concerned about his job. As much as my respect and belief in him has waned over the years I don't like to see him in so much pain and I wouldn't want to see his health affected, which isn't impossible.

On that note, i'd like him to bow out now so we have Istanbul to remember and can look to build on what we have. He's a good manager, there's no doubting that, but it looks as though his time here is up.

Woeful performance,no excuses,im sitting here fucking fuming in a nice warm house in halewood,god only knows what those great fans who have made a trip halfway down the country for an early kick off in the freezing cold must be thinking.its just not good enough,we showed no team spirit today and portsmouth,a doomed team,showed plenty.im fucking made up for their fans.I fear for our future. I dont know the answer.

We cannot afford to sack him - or indeed rid the club of players like Kuyt who have nice, long lucrative deals on £90k per week. We have potentially years of this decline still: and the only way is down we'rer heading under Rafa and under the two owners is down.

Torres WILL be off in the summer. No question at all about that. So will Pepe.

I don't think a single player had a good game today and some were fucking awful. Kuyt, Dossena, Insua, Lucas, Mascherano and Johnson were all utter shite and Carra, Agger, Gerrard, Yossi, Torres and Aurelio were poor. Speo and Pepe had little to do and are thus exempt, but we are a complete shambles right now and will be as low as 9th if the clubs around us all win their games in hand. If the board aren't looking for top class replacements for the manager right now then they're not doing their jobs properly. Oh, wait a minute...

(We're fucked, aren't we?)

We've always had the potential for a shit season like this, that's what happens when you depend on individual players for everything - when they lose form, can't be arsed, want a move, or are injured - you're pretty much fucked. Our football has no solid foundation.

Just heard Rafa's interview - he sounded like a loon.

We've always had the potential for a shit season like this, that's what happens when you depend on individual players for everything - when they lose form, can't be arsed, want a move, or are injured - you're pretty much fucked. Our football has no solid foundation.

Just heard Rafa's interview - he sounded like a loon.

I heard it too. Sounded like a petulant child not wanting to answer questions about what he's done. Sending off is the best thing that could've happened to him as it gave him something to blame

We cannot afford to sack him - or indeed rid the club of players like Kuyt who have nice, long lucrative deals on £90k per week. We have potentially years of this decline still: and the only way is down we'rer heading under Rafa and under the two owners is down.

Torres WILL be off in the summer. No question at all about that. So will Pepe.

Fuck me, and I thought I was miserable.