You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

At Gremio Lucas was a very attacking player, scored lots of goals in a box to box role. So he probably has attacking ability within him, maybe it's more difficult in the English league of Rafa has told him to stick to being a defensive midfielder.

Now I`ve heard it all.

Can you fill me in on these stats please?

Your definition of "lots" is pretty intriguing by the way?

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he'd been wearing a blue shirt yesterday and put in the same performance he'd be lumped in with Fellaini as a joke footballer.

Perhaps in Ted fantasy land.

Back in reality...

Aquilliani must be getting seriously pissed off that a nothing footballer like Lucas is keeping him out the team.

Nick, Lucas may not be the next Zidane but what I saw yesterday was someone standing up to a physical Evertonian midfield. A midfield that was hell bent on fouling our midfielders in the hope of getting back into the game. And the twat of the referee was allowing it to happen whole game long.

Lucas didn't hide though, he took everything that came his way and still was determined to break the play, which he is pretty decent at.

I don't have a fucking clue how screech escaped without a yellow card. Still, Lucas stood like a man and fighted until the end.

As I said, he may be an average footballer but you have to at least give him credit for trying his best out there. It may not be good enough for us but fuck it, we are yet to see if Aquilani is any good for us or not.

Lucas isnt an avarage player he is a good young player who will get better and better its just with Alonso Gerrard and Masch 3 of the worlds best midfielders we have been spoilt in recent years for midfield players and when trying to measure a young lad to these player levels it isnt suprising that he comes up a little short at 21

Lucas isnt an avarage player he is a good young player who will get better and better its just with Alonso Gerrard and Masch 3 of the worlds best midfielders we have been spoilt in recent years for midfield players and when trying to measure a young lad to these player levels it isnt suprising that he comes up a little short at 21

He's almost 23.

Date of Birth: 09/01/1987

Lucas is still in development and although he was hyped to be a more attacking intent player, we have seen him develop into a good defensive midfielder that can make attacking runs.

I would think that he and Mascherano have developed a great understanding by now and against the big quality teams they can close down almost anyone. This is not the problem however.

The problem is when we play lower league teams that we cant seem to break down. As much as I like the defensive side of Lucas and Mascherano, they dont have that creative spark that can unlock teams, although I did see Mascherano try a few long passes which came off against Everton.

If we do stick to a 4-2-3-1, with Lucas and Mascherano being the 2, then we need the attacking three to be more creative with the defensive two supporting them.

And by the time he's around 25-27 could still be world class. You'd think he was 33 the way some people completely write him off.

But he won't, because he's shown zero sign of developing into anything even approaching world class.

Have the standards we expect from our midfielders now dropped so low that we're willing to laud this awful example of a footballer?

I fucking despair.

But he won't, because he's shown zero sign of developing into anything even approaching world class.

Have the standards we expect from our midfielders now dropped so low that we're willing to laud this awful example of a footballer?

I fucking despair.

Apparently.

Good midfielders are judged on number of errors these days, fuck effectiveness. Someone used the term "attacking runs". What attacking runs?

The lad will be decent in a much slower league but not here. Too slow in thought and execution. Bench stand in? maybe.

i think he is OK and could well get better, but i watched him on sunday quite closely and his lack of ability to go forward with the ball or look for anything more than a simple pass is infuriating. At the moment he is nothing more than a backup player in my mind. that's not to say he should be binned, but as soon as Rafa lets Aquilani play, sometime in the next couple of years, he should difinitely be the one to make way.

He runs like he's 43.

And please, using phrases like "world class" when discussing Lucas is amking you look a fucking div.

Not bothered at all, will take my chances on this one.

I fucking despair.

I'm not lauding him at all, he regularly does my head in too, I just think that he could end up a world class player. Probably not the type of player we expected him to be, but maybe as a holding type that has the ability to attack, and that he can one of the best at it.