You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sunderland Match Thread (17th October 2009)

Herp McDerp

This one's going to be tricky, especially with Sunderland playing the way they are, Bent & Jones are going to be a right handful. That we'll probably be missing Gerrard & Kuyt certainly doesn't help, and I don't know what the latest on Torres is but I'm assuming he'll be ok to play Saturday, hope so anyway.

The injuries are bad enough, but add to that the fact that Mascherano will be shattered after the round trip he'll have made, and that Lucas may need resting as well after playing today, and we have a very, very tough game on our hands. Insua didn't play today so should be fine to play, however him not playing today coupled with Gerrard's injury prolly means we're going to see Aurelio in midfield again.*

I'm assuming Babel will start on the right seeing as Kuyt's done his ankle, I don't think Benitez will risk starting Agger either, 3 games in a week will be to much for someone who's just back from injury surely? I think he'll be on the bench, same goes for Torres if he's still sore. I think we may just see the team below, unless Lucas loses a leg, in which case Spearing may get a look in.

-----------Reina

Johnson-Carra-Skrtel-Insua

-------Aurelio---Lucas(Spearing)

Babel----Benayoun----Riera

------Torres(Voronin)

* What I meant to say was that if Insua had played today Aurelio would probably start at left back against Sunderland, but seeing as Insua didn't play he should be OK to start on Saturday and Aurelio will probably play CM.

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This one's going to be tricky, especially with Sunderland playing the way they are, Bent & Jones are going to be a right handful. That we'll probably be missing Gerrard & Kuyt certainly doesn't help, and I don't know what the latest on Torres is but I'm assuming he'll be ok to play Saturday, hope so anyway.

The injuries are bad enough, but add to that the fact that Mascherano will be shattered after the round trip he'll have made, and that Lucas may need resting as well after playing today, and we have a very, very tough game on our hands. Insua didn't play today so should be fine to play, however him not playing today coupled with Gerrard's injury prolly means we're going to see Aurelio in midfield again.*

I'm assuming Babel will start on the right seeing as Kuyt's done his ankle, I don't think Benitez will risk starting Agger either, 3 games in a week will be to much for someone who's just back from injury surely? I think he'll be on the bench, same goes for Torres if he's still sore. I think we may just see the team below, unless Lucas loses a leg, in which case Spearing may get a look in.

-----------Reina

------Torres(Voronin)

* What I meant to say was that if Insua had played today Aurelio would probably start at left back against Sunderland, but seeing as Insua didn't play he should be OK to start on Saturday and Aurelio will probably play CM.

Looking at this team, and if the team highlighted in bold plays I feel for us I really do,

Carragher should be rested well seing as he hasn't done anything in a while so cannot have any excuses for a shit game.

-----------Reina

------Torres(Voronin)

If we're missing Gerrard, Masher and Torres, and field a team that includes Voronin/ Eggnog/ Lucas/ Aurelio/ the rest of the spastics, we will get fucking humped by Sunderland, because they'll have a better team than us on the pitch.

I fear our 4th defeat of the league campaign is coming up on Saturday. Especially if Gerrard and Torres don't play.

Yeah, it has that feeling of inevitability about it.

And if we do lose then - like has happened every time Benitez has been under severe pressure - we willl go out and batter someone, thus releasing some of the pressure and buying him more time, while failing to really disguise the fact that we've fucked the title. Again.

So watch out United.

We're going to concede, just a question of how many we can score, Benayoun & Babel will have to shoulder some of the goalscoring burden as Riera doesn't seem to be able to shoot anymore, he was fucking around in the Spain match as well.

I believe that if Benayoun & Torres play we're sorted up front, Riera will do his useless headless chicken/couldn't be arsed act down the left and Babel will be Babel on the right, but we've got bigger problems in the middle I reckon, I've got no idea how we're going to do up against those two butchers, Aurelio wouldn't last 5 minutes before breaking.

I also keep thinking about that interview Spearing gave about him learning how to play the Mascherano role in our team? What are the chances of him featuring?And is that alleged pisshead Plessis still fucking around or has he cleaned up since that uselss fuckwit Itandje was fucked off to Turkey?

I reckon Masherano is going to have to play. I know he's travelling back today but it's not like he's going to be on Easyjet with his knees crushed back behind his ears.

Just pray Torres can play and that Yossi weaves his magic. I'm far from confident though.

I dunno, will Benitez risk playing him when we've got Lyon coming up?

I dunno, will Benitez risk playing him when we've got Lyon coming up?

I think this game is more important and we'll need what he brings to the team more considering their midfield. Also, it sounds like there's more of a chance of Gerrard being fit for that game so he'll be abel to step in for that one.

Basically, we're close to being out of the league race already so he cant arse around resting players until we're in a better position imo.

I reckon Masherano is going to have to play. I know he's travelling back today but it's not like he's going to be on Easyjet with his knees crushed back behind his ears.

Just pray Torres can play and that Yossi weaves his magic. I'm far from confident though.

I want to cry that our domestic and European dreams could be over in a week, sunderland lyon and the mancs is a tough week with only half a fit squad it aint gonna be easy.

All i can keep doing is remembering.;

When you walk through a storm

Hold your head up high

And don't be afraid of the dark

At the end of the storm

Is a golden sky

And the sweet silver song of a lark

Walk on through the wind

Walk on through the rain

Tho' your dreams be tossed and blown

Walk on, walk on

With hope in your heart

And you'll never walk alone

You'll never walk alone

I think this game is more important and we'll need what he brings to the team more considering their midfield. Also, it sounds like there's more of a chance of Gerrard being fit for that game so he'll be abel to step in for that one.

Basically, we're close to being out of the league race already so he cant arse around resting players until we're in a better position imo.

Whatever your personal views on which competition is more important (& i'd always take the CL), it isn't even a discussion given our financial state.

Lyon is effectively a home/away for £10m.

Any doubt on a key player's fitness & he needs to rest to ensure he can play against the French.