You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Noel Gallagher quits Oasis

Mendoza

6 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

It's hard to believe somebody could change so much politically,it's almost as if it's a wind up or he's just doing it to have less in common with his brother again. 

He's been a multi-millionaire for 25 years almost, living in leafy London. I'm sure the general company he's kept since then has changed quite a bit and it does have an impact. Plus Labour or 'New Labour' as they called themselves didn't help many people remain fiercely Labour. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

If Noel had a millionth of the talent he thought he had they’d have been the greatest band of all time.

Sadly, they’re Oasis, a Slade for the New Labour generation.

Nice try. 

7 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Exhibit A, m’lud...

‘What a life it would be
If you could come to mine for tea
I'll pick you up at half past three
We'll have lasagna’

They've dome some half decent tunes but no better than the other britpop music doing the rounds back then. What I could never abide was the swaggering self importance, like they'd invented music, or the fact that both comically seem to think they're hard, yet are both clearly as soft as shit and look - and always did look - absolutely ridiculous. If they'd walked into a pub in Liverpool as unknowns back then they'd have been laughed out of town.

Noel seems to think he's clever or insightful too, bizarrely.

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

If they'd walked into a pub in Liverpool as unknowns back then they'd have been laughed out of town.

They pretty much did and walked out with one of the most defining albums of a decade. 

14 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Exhibit A, m’lud...

‘What a life it would be
If you could come to mine for tea
I'll pick you up at half past three
We'll have lasagna’

I'd keep away from The Beatles as well if I was you.... 

9 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

They've dome some half decent tunes but no better than the other britpop music doing the rounds back then. What I could never abide was the swaggering self importance, like they'd invented music, or the fact that both comically seem to think they're hard, yet a both clearly as soft as shit and look - and always did look - absolutely ridiculous. If they'd walked into a pub in Liverpool as unknowns back then they'd have been laughed out of town.

Not just the views of you, but also of proper musician Mark Lanegan...

‘I detested bullies and refused to put up with them,” Lanegan writes in the book.

“Liam Gallagher was an obvious poser, a playground bully. Like all bullies, he was also a total pussy.”

Describing Liam’s exit from the tour, he claimed: “He had quit and bailed before I could have a go at him before his promised playground battle royale in Miami.”

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

I have read on Twitter they needed to bring in a session player to cover the drum tracks. True?

Tony McCarroll could barely play although their early stuff does suffer a bit for it so I'd be interested to hear which tracks we're talking about.

Alan White was a good drummer though, he would've been fine in the studio.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Not just the views of you, but also of proper musician Mark Lanegan...

‘I detested bullies and refused to put up with them,” Lanegan writes in the book.

“Liam Gallagher was an obvious poser, a playground bully. Like all bullies, he was also a total pussy.”

Describing Liam’s exit from the tour, he claimed: “He had quit and bailed before I could have a go at him before his promised playground battle royale in Miami.”

OASIS lead singer Liam Gallagher was beaten up by a group of estate agents and computer salesmen in a nightclub fracas 17 months ago, not gangsters as was originally claimed, according to Munich police.

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

OASIS lead singer Liam Gallagher was beaten up by a group of estate agents and computer salesmen in a nightclub fracas 17 months ago, not gangsters as was originally claimed, according to Munich police.

He was beaten up in Rain Bar in Manchester by his own shadow, true story.

59 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

If Noel had a millionth of the talent he thought he had they’d have been the greatest band of all time.

Sadly, they’re Oasis, a Slade for the New Labour generation.

Slade were boss at their peak. Their gigs at that time must have been fantastic, proper raucous good time stuff.

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

His work with Yes was more impressive.

Not sure how they used the makeup in the photos though - geezer he was by then...

I know you know he's a different bloke.

His work with Yes was amazing but I love those straight fills he plays across the shuffle on Instant Karma, just perfect...

7 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Slade were boss at their peak. Their gigs at that time must have been fantastic, proper raucous good time stuff.

OK, I get it Slade and Sweet were both better than Oasis.

What about The Quo*, are they an acceptable Oasis comparrison?

*I love 'Pictures of Matchstick Men'

• Upvote 1