You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Football opinion amnesty thread

RedinSweden

4 minutes ago, dave u said:

This team would absolutely destroy that team. Barnes and maybe Hansen are the only two players who get near a place in this one. That team were amazing in the era they played in, but most teams were based on British players only.

That team was competing against Nottingham Forest (who would be in the Championship given today's standards). This one is up against a team with unlimited resources.

Nonsense.

11 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

There was that of course, but that side deserved the treble and the fact it was denied us by that shower of bastards has always stuck in my craw.

Got as far as Skelhorne St on the morning of the Utd game before my dad spotted our dodgy tickets highlighted on the front page of one of the morning papers and didn't take the chance of going. Probably for the best.

On 04/06/2022 at 11:04, dave u said:

This team would absolutely destroy that team. Barnes and maybe Hansen are the only two players who get near a place in this one. That team were amazing in the era they played in, but most teams were based on British players only.

That team was competing against Nottingham Forest (who would be in the Championship given today's standards). This one is up against a team with unlimited resources.

A few midfielders in that team would get in for me in place of Henderson. Awaits the return of certain posters………

I'm only putting this in here because it's an argument that's been done to death and clearly Klopp and co know a LITTLE more about football than me, but...(wait for it)... would having Neco at right back and moving Trent forward solve the midfield shortage we seem to have? It wouldn't even have to be permanent, just as and when needed.

Buying a class midfielder now would have an impact on the number of games Curtis and Elliot would be getting. Moving Trent there when needed instead of using someone new would surely stop this?

If we had a phenomenal right back in reserve that wasn't getting games then I could see the the sense in sometimes moving Trent to the right hand side of the midfield three so the game time was being shared.

At the moment we haven't though so I'd rather see Elliot being moulded into that creative right sided centre mid and Gomez/Ramsay deputising for Trent.

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

When Trent has played there for England he's looked shit. 

Not a massive advocate for playing Trent in midfield but England's tactical set up is completely different to ours so don't think you can draw too much from that.

On 06/06/2022 at 15:16, johnsusername said:

I'm only putting this in here because it's an argument that's been done to death and clearly Klopp and co know a LITTLE more about football than me, but...(wait for it)... would having Neco at right back and moving Trent forward solve the midfield shortage we seem to have? It wouldn't even have to be permanent, just as and when needed.

Buying a class midfielder now would have an impact on the number of games Curtis and Elliot would be getting. Moving Trent there when needed instead of using someone new would surely stop this?

I would do that. 

It just feels like Trent has another gear, I don't want to see him having to waste energy tracking some grock pulling him back to win a header.  

He's a unique talent with the ball, surely he should be on the ball more, and be able to cover the right back from midfield. 

I don't see what extra gear you'd expect from Trent playing him in midfield. He already sees loads of the ball, his most devastating passes are his long ones in behind a defence, and playing at right back gets him on the ball earlier and in more space after we win it back.

Plus in our system he probably does less defending at right back than he would on the right of the midfield three. He's fine where he is.

The Spurs one looks shit but they made top four and will likely kick on again this season under Conte. It's a shame he's such a arsehole really, he's a top class coach.

The downside is that he'll fill the squad with over-the-hill players he's previously managed, never bring through any youngsters, and constantly whinge for more money to spend on even more over-the-hill players. They've got Perisic in already this summer, for example.

Not sure if it's amnesty material but I still think kennys 1st spell as a manager is massively underrated.

The double had been done twice before yet we got within touching distance of 4 doubles in 5 years building 1 of the greatest sides anfield has ever seen in the process. 

Even Liverpool fans tend to focus on his achievements as a player rather 86-91.

Even now 30 years later how many young  mangers come in to a big Premier club and do what he did?

• Upvote 3