You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Football opinion amnesty thread

RedinSweden

18 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Not sure if it's amnesty material but I still think kennys 1st spell as a manager is massively underrated.

The double had been done twice before yet we got within touching distance of 4 doubles in 5 years building 1 of the greatest sides anfield has ever seen in the process. 

Even Liverpool fans tend to focus on his achievements as a player rather 86-91.

Even now 30 years later how many young  mangers come in to a big Premier club and do what he did?

As you've correctly alluded to, this belongs in an amnesty thread like Freddy Mercury belongs in an HMRC call centre.

Just now, Section_31 said:

As you've correctly alluded to, this belongs in an amnesty thread like Freddy Mercury belongs in an HMRC call centre.

Maybe I should have clarified hat outside Liverpool, his managerial achievements are often overlooked. 

But yeah..like putting Katy Perry in the amnesty thread I guess. 

14 hours ago, Arniepie said:

Not sure if it's amnesty material but I still think kennys 1st spell as a manager is massively underrated.

The double had been done twice before yet we got within touching distance of 4 doubles in 5 years building 1 of the greatest sides anfield has ever seen in the process. 

Even now 30 years later how many young  mangers come in to a big Premier club and do what he did?

I was 8 when he resigned so I don't know much about it first hand, but was there actually talk of him coming back instead of us hiring Souness? Got to be one of the biggest what-ifs ever that.

16 hours ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Losing Mane will be the start of our demise.

My amnesty is actually the opposite with both him and Salah.

I don't give a flying fuck about either of them going, they have been really effective for us, but that's because of a system geared around getting the best out of them.

We may end up with wide players who don't score as many as they do, but a system tweak and some goals from elsewhere can replace that. 

They'll both do well no matter where they end up, but I don't think we'll see either of them doing as well as they did here. We've had their peak years, I don't have any qualms about us moving onto other players. 

It's also what consistently successful teams typically do, sell them before they go off the boil so you get a decent return and then move on. Ferguson did it time after time at the Mancs, and he was only copying what Paisley did here. 

I'm totally with Bob on it "let their legs go on someone else's pitch". 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Chairman Meow said:

My amnesty is actually the opposite with both him and Salah.

I don't give a flying fuck about either of them going, they have been really effective for us, but that's because of a system geared around getting the best out of them.

We may end up with wide players who don't score as many as they do, but a system tweak and some goals from elsewhere can replace that. 

They'll both do well no matter where they end up, but I don't think we'll see either of them doing as well as they did here.

It's also what consistently successful teams typically do, sell them before they go off the boil so you get a decent return and then move on. Ferguson did it time after time at the Mancs, and he was only copying what Paisley did here. 

I'm totally with Bob on it "let their legs go on someone else's pitch". 

Great post 

19 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Better than the 1st half at Old Trafford last October?

Yes. Nothing compares in my eyes. The achievement maybe bigger in terms of historical significance, but the actual intensity of the play was something to behold. Weren't Arsenal top of the league then? 

I can't get on board with the downplaying of Mane and Salah's importance to us. They are absolutely elite, 2 of the finest wide players to ever play in England and we had them at the same time. Undoubtedly our recruitment has been excellent, but Mane and Salah performance, consistency and fitness record has been freakish.

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, LFC 6 Times said:

I can't get on board with the downplaying of Mane and Salah's importance to us. They are absolutely elite, 2 of the finest wide players to ever play in England and we had them at the same time. Undoubtedly our recruitment has been excellent, but Mane and Salah performance, consistency and fitness record has been freakish.

I don't think anyone is downplaying their importance to us, just that they're both on the wrong side of 30 and the only way is down. Clearly they will be very difficult to replace but we've done it with great players plenty of times in the past.

22 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

I was 8 when he resigned so I don't know much about it first hand, but was there actually talk of him coming back instead of us hiring Souness? Got to be one of the biggest what-ifs ever that.

I've read a few different things.

Without a doubt he was totally fried in 91(look at the pics at that press conference)I read somewhere he was offered to take a break and he said he just wanted out.

But in his biography, I think,he said he would have come back of asked.

I remember when he was at Blackburn there was a lot of talk of him coming back.. like you say..one of the big what ifs?

On 08/06/2022 at 22:22, Arniepie said:

By contrast, his second spell was overrated albeit under difficult circumstances.

5 hours ago, Mook said:

I don't think anyone is downplaying their importance to us, just that they're both on the wrong side of 30 and the only way is down. Clearly they will be very difficult to replace but we've done it with great players plenty of times in the past.

A player's peak is now 32 or 33. Saying someone is on their way down at 30 is total and utter horseshit.

13 minutes ago, m0e said:

A player's peak is now 32 or 33. Saying someone is on their way down at 30 is total and utter horseshit.

We will see if it's 'total and utter horseshit' with Mane & Salah over the next three or four years.

Personally, I think 30/31 is a reasonable time to start moving fast forwards on & looking for younger players.

Too many forwards over 30 age like pears; one day they're fine, then they're gone. That fraction of a yard lost, or a slightly heavier first touch can be all it takes.

I doubt that'll be Mané or Salah, as they keep themselves in top shape, but we've all seen supposedly elite level strikers turn to shit suddenly. Who'd have predicted Salah's form in the second half of the season?

24 minutes ago, m0e said:

They aren't going to want contracts taking them to 32 though. They'll want long term security of high wages going into their mid to late 30s. 

I don't have any issue with them leaving, my only concern is the transition period between them leaving and the new guy getting up to speed. Can't afford to lose a season while they adjust, meanwhile the blue mancs mop up the trophies again. 

5 hours ago, Mook said:

We will see if it's 'total and utter horseshit' with Mane & Salah over the next three or four years.

Personally, I think 30/31 is a reasonable time to start moving fast forwards on & looking for younger players.

I'm not arguing with your second point.

The fact that players are on a downward curve from the age of 30 is total and utter horseshit.

By practically every metric out there.

4 hours ago, Aventus said:

They aren't going to want contracts taking them to 32 though. They'll want long term security of high wages going into their mid to late 30s. 

I don't have any issue with them leaving, my only concern is the transition period between them leaving and the new guy getting up to speed. Can't afford to lose a season while they adjust, meanwhile the blue mancs mop up the trophies again. 

If they each get 3 years deals today, they will still be at their peak when they're next on a bosman.

40 minutes ago, m0e said:

I'm not arguing with your second point.

The fact that players are on a downward curve from the age of 30 is total and utter horseshit.

By practically every metric out there.

Funnily enough, your last sentence there looks like total & utter horseshit... Unless you can back it up with these metrics you're referring to.

I'd imagine some players aged 31 onwards are on their way down, others will improve but ambitious clubs don't tend to sign a lot of players aged 31 and over & it's because their best years are behind them, generally speaking.