You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Football opinion amnesty thread

RedinSweden

On 13/05/2023 at 08:52, redrosetints said:

LFC under Roy Evans was like the Mancs under OGS.

IRoy Evans signed Phil Babb on Sept 1st 1994 for a British record fee for a defender of £3.5m, on the 2nd of Sept he signed John Scales for £3.4m. In June 95, he spent £8.5 on Stanley Victor Collymore a then British record fee. That’s two Harry Maguires and an Enzo Fernandez or £265m.

love Evomfor his service to the club and it pains me to think it, but that era provided being successful was more than just spending the money and about all the little things , those marginal gains, the intangibles, that make one club successful and another not.

wasnt Roy sfault, there were a lot of outside factors too, as we were a club in decline off the pitch too. 

love you Roy if you read this, 

We had a decent defence,but a shit goalkeeper! Those transfers were good,as was Friedel,if he'd been able to stay. Ruddock was bad,as was Ince and these were apples who infected the barrel.

25 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

We had a decent defence,but a shit goalkeeper! Those transfers were good,as was Friedel,if he'd been able to stay. Ruddock was bad,as was Ince and these were apples who infected the barrel.

Ruddock was capable of being a very good centre-back (Southampton and Tottenham - second spell), but was unprofessional and had weight issues. Scales was a good defender, too.

I liked Ruddock's story about McAteer, when he'd locked himself out of his car. A copper came along and saw them, offered to help, and suggested the coat hanger trick. Sent McAteer into the house, and he came back with a wooden coat hanger. Asked what he thought the trick was, he said he thought they'd use it to smash the window.

22 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Ruddock was capable of being a very good centre-back (Southampton and Tottenham - second spell), but was unprofessional and had weight issues. Scales was a good defender, too.

Scales was a brilliant defender. Unfortunately he had a touch of the. Naby Keitas about him and injury plagued him.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

An observation - we've won a lot of games since Thiago got injured, and we look much more solid. 

Fewer silly passes and many more percentage plays is part of the reason. A bigger squad and a better defence is also a reason. Fabinho has also really turned a corner too. He's been excellent of late too.

I think we're a bit more direct without Thiago, but agree that it's hard to know where improvements come from when we've had so much flux in terms of personnel all season. 

And similar to Vlad - sad that this has to be in an amnesty thread, but Fabinho is far from finished. He's 29 and he's often been brilliant for us. He was very good last night again. Mo Salah was shocking for about six months after the ANC, Jota didn't score in 12 months, why can't people stretch to  the view that it might have just been bad form rather than something terminal with Fabinho too?

For the first half of this season Fabinho was almost a waste of a player but he certainly wasn't alone. It just seemed with him that every-game he looked shot of confidence and a DM should not be letting the game pass him by. Fair play to Jurgen for sticking with him and he definitely benefits from the extra energy of Trent around him in the middle. 

If she was my bird I'd be fucking knackered and all 

0_Fabinho-wife-shares-pic-ahead-of-Atlet

• Upvote 2

That fact that most people, after years and years, still sing the Bobby chant with 'Si Senor' instead of 'Sim Senhor' is pretty embarrassing.

We've had our fair share of Brazilians over the last few years, you would think most would sing in Portuguese, you know, the language that they speak.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Em City said:

That fact that most people, after years and years, still sing the Bobby chant with 'Si Senor' instead of 'Sim Senhor' is pretty embarrassing.

We've had our fair share of Brazilians over the last few years, you would think most would sing in Portuguese, you know, the language that they speak.

Firmino has been here for 8 years and can't speak English! 

1 hour ago, Em City said:

He can speak german so the song should start with jawohl

1 hour ago, Em City said:

To make matters worse, I don't think there's even a line about him running down the wing in that song. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

To make matters worse, I don't think there's even a line about him running down the wing in that song. 

I’ve always had a bit of a snigger when the line “give him the ball and he’ll score everytime” is sung given his goal tally is pretty poor. 

I've heard interviews with Bobby speaking english, mostly those PR pieces they do though where they ask players questions about eachother and such. Based on that I think he probably speaks and understands enough English to speak to his teammates and about football related stuff but he's just not confident in his overall ability to speak it with the longer form stuff or where he wants to make sure he's understood completely.

Also I don't know if he just doesn't like dealing with the media but if that is the case it's a pretty convenient excuse to not have to do it.

8 hours ago, Em City said:

This is something I never understood either. Mind you,I think most modern football songs are pretty crap,let alone the translation into their own language. 

15 hours ago, Saintslfc13 said:

I've heard interviews with Bobby speaking english, mostly those PR pieces they do though where they ask players questions about eachother and such. Based on that I think he probably speaks and understands enough English to speak to his teammates and about football related stuff but he's just not confident in his overall ability to speak it with the longer form stuff or where he wants to make sure he's understood completely.

Also I don't know if he just doesn't like dealing with the media but if that is the case it's a pretty convenient excuse to not have to do it.

Yeah, this is about B1.1/B1.2. It's not great, but not terrible for your fourth language.

• 1 month later...

I’m ok with ‘project signings’. Same with keeping paths to the first team open for our best youth products. 

We’re not spending our way to silverware anytime soon so we might as well embrace another way, a better way, a more rewarding way.

Whether that translates into pots down the road, who knows. If it does though, won’t that be something. 

We’ve run our course under these owners. What we did 2017-2021 was incredible. Winning the CL and PL was a fucking remarkable achievement and what a fantastic side we put together.

But the game has changed and some of our best have left and our stars have aged. The owners don’t have the appetite or ambition to go again. The signings we’re linked to are completely underwhelming and the Bellingham fiasco really conveyed where we’re at the table.

We’ve wasted a lot of the Klopp years.

• Upvote 1