You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Recommend a British TV drama

Paul

• 1 month later...

Appropriate Adult is being repeated on ITV Encore HD.

I've only watched the first episode so far but was drawn in. I swerved it first time round because I tend to avoid anything work related on the tv but found myself hooked. I am an Appropriate Adult myself so was a bit tormented by the way the role was presented as I couldnt work out whether it was a different role in England or whether the programme makers were playing fast and loose with factual details, which is usually the case.

Anyway, well worth checking out and I've got the second episode lined up for tomorrow (when Mr 'what are you watching this for' Champ's out.)

• 6 months later...

that was very good. never knew Dominic West was English either after seeing him in the wire

that was very good. never knew Dominic West was English either after seeing him in the wire

I enjoyed the repeat.

I was doubtful about a second series but it won me over. Sarah Lancashire is superb

She's amazingly good. It blows my mind a little bit how convincing she is and also how much she can do.

One of my closest mates works for the company that produced it and she's apparently the stereotypically highly-strung actor type. However, as he says, when she's that good, who cares?

Line of Duty series three next week. Can't wait for that. Can only repeat just how good Happy Valley is, one of the best shows on TV in years - series one especially.

Agreed on Line of Duty. I really liked series one, but I thought it stepped up significantly for the follow up. I'm hoping that pattern continues.

This Life.

If you missed it because you're too young or it passed you by for some reason then you need to investigate it. Rather good stuff.

It's interesting reading back over this thread. I loved This Life at the time but I think it's aged really badly. It was very much of its time. I also think Andrew Lincoln is almost unwatchable as Egg now he's so firmly fixed in my mind as Rick Grimes.

Our Friends in the North was brilliant

I watched that at the time and thought it was fine but I've always felt it never quite matched the hype. It was self-consciously "important television", for me.

Has anyone watched the new Le Carré adaptation on BBC 1? We've plussed it but not got going with it yet. It's been getting boss reviews but I can't help thinking it's probably a little bit dull.

She's amazingly good. It blows my mind a little bit how convincing she is and also how much she can do.

One of my closest mates works for the company that produced it and she's apparently the stereotypically highly-strung actor type. However, as he says, when she's that good, who cares?

I have to confess having been about sniffy about her in the past and had no real expectations about the first series but was drawn in by the trailer and then was blown away by her performances, in particular the relationship with her sister.

Special mention to Sally Wainwright's writing though.

There was clearly a third series being lined up at the end there as her gaze fixed on Ryan.

And, like you, we have recorded Night Manager but not got to it yet. I've heard nothing but good things about it though. I've got Easter off so maybe there's an opportunity there...