You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A thread about a man named Xabi

dave u

What to do?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. What to do?

• Buy Dave House, Gerrard centre mid, go 442.
    • Buy Augero, Gerrard centre mid, stay 4231.
    • Gerrard in the hole, buy centre mid, stay 4231
    • Don’t care, kill Rafa, burn down RBS

This place is complete fucking madness

I think I can wait two days to find out the fucking truth of all of this

Where the fuck is zerbedy when you need him

Unbelievable and all those Xabi fans building themselves up for an even bigger fall.

If CB isnt half right on this one he is totally finished.

Out of interest as I am not that critical of him, has he actually got anything right this season.?

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So are we believing bascombe on this one?

You should believe him if you believed him when he said he had an Exclusive to the effect that Alonso could not stand playing at LFC anymore and that in order to make his transfer happen would be handing in his written transfer request within a few days. It didn't happen.

I would believe those who have said consistently that Alonso authorised his agent to enter negotiations with Real Madrid and agreed terms with them subject to Real Madrid not having to pay more than a certain transfer fee.

If Alonso stays it will not be because he has changed his mind but because his scheme did not work. LFC said he is not for sale. Real Madrid have not made an offer. LFC have not refused an offer. If he puts his request in writing to LFC and if Real Madrid put a suitable offer in writing then he might go.

Except the bit about them having a chilly relationship and not talking is wrong. Alonso has said repeatedly that he has the same professional relationship with Rafa that other players have with him. Rafa said two weeks ago he has spoken to Alonso several times by telephone during the Confederation Cup.

Other than that I and many others have seen Rafa talking to Alonso on numerous occasions last season.

You should believe him if you believed him when he said he had an Exclusive to the effect that Alonso could not stand playing at LFC anymore and that in order to make his transfer happen would be handing in his written transfer request within a few days. It didn't happen.

I would believe those who have said consistently that Alonso authorised his agent to enter negotiations with Real Madrid and agreed terms with them subject to Real Madrid not having to pay more than a certain transfer fee.

If Alonso stays it will not be because he has changed his mind but because his scheme did not work. LFC said he is not for sale. Real Madrid have not made an offer. LFC have not refused an offer. If he puts his request in writing to LFC and if Real Madrid put a suitable offer in writing then he might go.

I can't ever remember him having an exclusive to that effect. Nearly every single national tabloid and yes even the Echo ran the story last week that he was leaving. Bit unfair and not all all surprising that you lay all the blame with Chris B.

From thisisanfield.com, who are usually not dumbass rumor mongers:

Alonso joins up with Reds squad

Article added: July 19th, 2009

Midfielder Xabi Alonso has arrived in Vienna to join up with the rest of the Liverpool squad ahead of their pre-season friendly on Sunday evening.

The Spanish midfielder, a target of Real Madrid, along with Torres, Arbeloa, Riera and Reina had extra time off following their Confederations Cup exploits.

It had been speculated that Alonso would not rejoin the Reds squad and instead be Bernabeu bound.

But he looks set to travel from Vienna with the rest of his team mates for the tour of the Far East. It is also believed he will also commit himself to Liverpool and remain at Anfield for another season.

I can't ever remember him having an exclusive to that effect. Nearly every single national tabloid and yes even the Echo ran the story last week that he was leaving. Bit unfair and not all all surprising that you lay all the blame with Chris B.

Your memory is a bit selective isnt' it? Rafa commented on it, actually, pointing out that the private, confidential meeting he had with his agent on the Friday was reported by Bascombe only two days later.

Well AS.com and Balague are reporting that Xabi will push for his exit today but it is not clear whether Madrid will come up with 35 million euro's Liverpool are asking for (which was 41 million at one point). Though with the Ribery signing not looking promising, Real might might up their bid to around 30 millions euro's. Benitez should just continue to be himself (stubborn) in my opinion regardless of what Xabi or Madrid say. Set his price and walk away until they meet it.

So Xabi 'hates' Rafa so much, if we are to believe what the insiders on here have told us all summer, that he is willing to stay another year.... right!

Actually, Marca are reporting that Liverpool are negotiating with Inter for him. It will be interesting to see how desperate he is to leave if Inter make us an offer, or whether it is only Madrid that he would leave for. What is clear is that Madrid don't rate him enough to make a sufficient bid for him - or that Valdano simply can't bring himself to back down when Benitez is his opponent. Whatever way, their loss...

But after all the hot air and 284 pages...

Your memory is a bit selective isnt' it? Rafa commented on it, actually, pointing out that the private, confidential meeting he had with his agent on the Friday was reported by Bascombe only two days later.

Well Benitez was only too happy to let details of a private conversation between him and Xabi out when it suited him. Like in monday's Echo.

I lived round the corner from that beast not so long ago.

Wierd thing is, it works.....

I live 5 miles from Swindon and had to deal with the magic roundabout on my driving test. Truth is as long as you know which road off it you're aiming for it's easy.

Wouldn't entirely surprise me if we put in place an agreement with madrid to sell Xabi next year just like the Mancs did with Ronaldo. They end up getting their man and the player gets the move, and we get to say that we kept him when we didn't want to sell.

I live 5 miles from Swindon and had to deal with the magic roundabout on my driving test. Truth is as long as you know which road off it you're aiming for it's easy.

Wouldn't entirely surprise me if we put in place an agreement with madrid to sell Xabi next year just like the Mancs did with Ronaldo. They end up getting their man and the player gets the move, and we get to say that we kept him when we didn't want to sell.

I don't think Benitez's pride works that way, he'd much rather be able to say, I screwed them for 25m for a 18m player.

The Sunday Times had this yesterday (not sure if it's already been posted):

Liverpool will intensify their efforts to sign David Silva, the Valencia playmaker, with Xabi Alonso expected to complete a £32 million move to Real Madrid next week.

The Spain midfield player is not expected to travel with the Liverpool squad for their pre-season tour to Asia tomorrow night. Real Sociedad, who sold Alonso for £10.5 million in August 2004, stood to receive 20 per cent of the transfer fee, but that agreement is scheduled to expire today.

It was unclear last night whether Wesley Sneijder, Real’s attacking midfield player, would be used as a makeweight in the prospective transfer.

Liverpool will intensify their efforts to sign David Silva, the Valencia playmaker, with Xabi Alonso expected to complete a £32 million move to Real Madrid next week.

The Spain midfield player is not expected to travel with the Liverpool squad for their pre-season tour to Asia tomorrow night. Real Sociedad, who sold Alonso for £10.5 million in August 2004, stood to receive 20 per cent of the transfer fee, but that agreement is scheduled to expire today.

It was unclear last night whether Wesley Sneijder, Real’s attacking midfield player, would be used as a makeweight in the prospective transfer.

the sunday express are saying much the same,silva likely to become our record signing.

I think the 20% Clause ran out back on 30th June and Xabi will be on the plane to Asia hopefully.

Did we get Alonso for 'only' 10m because of the sell-on clause?

Bit daft of them agreeing to it I suppose, but Liverpool can expect to be dealing with clubs wanting the full price from now on, no clauses.

Saving in the short-term, perhaps......

I wish we'd sold Gerrard when he said he'd wanted to go. Players who express a desire to leave and then end up staying never do anything.

Exactly, the money isn't the only thing.

We've got a large part of the team sorted, and if there is any chance of diplomacy keeping the player here then it should be taken.