You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A thread about a man named Xabi

dave u

What to do?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. What to do?

• Buy Dave House, Gerrard centre mid, go 442.
    • Buy Augero, Gerrard centre mid, stay 4231.
    • Gerrard in the hole, buy centre mid, stay 4231
    • Don’t care, kill Rafa, burn down RBS

It would be great news regards Alonso but im not sure on Ashley Young.

Started well with Villa but after the good start faded away quite badly and cant even get in the England team in a position where they are desperate for.

Would cost easily over £20m and i would expect far more for my money for that.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drewy keeps telling us about silva coming as if he knows something, spill the beans lad.

I know I was thinking that. I am confident he isn't signing and have even betted on the HJC thread to state he won't sign.

Walton Red is another one who seems to think he will sign.

I am totally the confident the other way he won't be signing for us but time will tell.

I'd give Babel another season.

Young .. English so over priced; doesn't score goals (so he'll fit in perfectly with our midfield); shite against quality; always comes inside. We'll have to listen to O'Neil moan; other than that, he's ace .. :whistle:

Shite against quality? He ripped Man U to shreds at Old Trafford, shame his strikers at Villa couldn't finish the chances he created that day.

I don't see how he is overated, I really don't.

He has got all the attributes needed to be a top wide player and I think he already is, he just needs to be surrounded by more quality and he get that here.

I also like it how he has a great corner delivery on him. We have needed that for years.

It would be great news regards Alonso but im not sure on Ashley Young.

Started well with Villa but after the good start faded away quite badly and cant even get in the England team in a position where they are desperate for.

Would cost easily over £20m and i would expect far more for my money for that.

Don't you think that is a touch harsh?

Villa as a whole faded away. Plus he's behind Gerrard in the England team on the left.

I personally think he should be in the England team instead of Walcott.

I think he looks a good player mate but for the price which is going to be over £20m it is a lot to pay for a player who hasn't really proved anything on the 'big' stage.

The same could have been said i suppose regards Torres but like its been posted in the past after the disaster that was last summer i get a bit nervous about spending big money on a player who may potentially be like a fish out of water.

Hahaha fuckinhell well spotted I am a dozy twat. It is all this talk of Aston Villa that made me type David Villa. Honestly.

Haha you are not the only one, I have seen press reports all over the net today saying we have increased our interest in Villa and then the article goes on about Silva.

I was going to say in the HJC thread that if we get Villa I will happily pay £100.

Edited by Code72
being drunk

Reading between the lines although I could be wrong it translates as something like Xabi will stay if Madrid don't cough up the cash even if it is for another season. If they bid 35m then it is down to Rafa but Xabi isn't or doesn't seem to be actively looking to leave for whatever reason. Maybe the upheaval in a World Cup year has made him think twice or maybe the senior players at the club have had a word and asked him to reconsider.

Whatever it is I would be delighted if he stays and we keep what we have and if we somehow have the funds for Ashley Young then even better.

I actually think you may well be right there John and before everyone starts celebrating Alonso staying this news could well be the final straw for Madrid and they come back with the 35m euros asking price.

I think he looks a good player mate but for the price which is going to be over £20m it is a lot to pay for a player who hasn't really proved anything on the 'big' stage.

The same could have been said i suppose regards Torres but like its been posted in the past after the disaster that was last summer i get a bit nervous about spending big money on a player who may potentially be like a fish out of water.

Know what you mean mate, but the Mancs have pretty much done the same with Valencia.

I'd be happy with either Silva or Young. Silva has more experience at a higher level (Champions league/internationals), while Young won't need to settle in the Premiership.

Would want Ribery, but we've got fuck all chance of signing him. Both have an element of risk.

I think he's proven himself in the league which helps.

I also think that 20 million isn't too bad given the prices bounded round Europe this summer.

He could play for us for 5, 7 maybe 10 years, won't look expensive then, it will look at shrewd investment.

I am unsure about Ashley Young, let alone the price involved. Kuyt scored 12 and got 8 assists in the league and Young scored 7 and got 7 assists. Young is far more pleasing to the eye than Kuyt and can beat a man more readily, he has room to improve but at £20 million+ I expect more than potential.

I think Hamstrung summed it up best for me in that i certainly wouldn't be dissapointed with either Silva or Young i wouldn't be too excited either.

Of course once they pulled on the Liverpool shirt i will think they are a cross between Pele and Maradonna.

Another thing if Alonso does stay at Anfield then maybe the relationship between Rafa and Xabi is not as bad as some suggest.

Or the lad is acting professional and putting his personal feelings to one side for the benefit of his career.

By CHRIS BASCOMBE, 18/07/2009

RAFA BENITEZ and Martin O'Neill will go head-to-head again in a £20million battle for Ashley Young.

Aston Villa are bracing themselves for Liverpool's offer for England winger Young, although O'Neill has warned potential bidders to expect 'short shrift'.

That will not deter Kop boss Benitez, who is also on the verge of winning his fight to keep midfielder Xabi Alonso.

The lure of a Premier League title challenge and Champions League action at Anfield will be tough for Young to resist, especially in a World Cup season.

Benitez and O'Neill fought a bitter transfer war over Gareth Barry 12 months ago. The Villa boss frustrated Benitez on that occasion, when the Anfield board refused to meet the midfielder's £18m valuation.

This time Benitez can expect the funds to get his man, although Villa recently slapped a £30m price tag on the 24-year-old.

In another massive boost to Liverpool's title hopes, Alonso is ready to commit himself for another season.

Alonso WILL be part of the club's Far East tour having rejoined the squad ahead of a friendly in Vienna tonight.

Real Madrid had set a deadline of this weekend for a £27m transfer, but that will pass without a deal and they will not be encouraged to bid again.

I wouldn't be disappointed, nor entirely convinced, by either Silva or Young.

I would prefer Young personallu as I think we need a player who can beat opposition defenders and is direct and that's more Young's type of game than Silva, who is more about guile and we have that with Yossi.

Plus I do think his set play deliver will be a bonus as he's got one of the best crosses in the league from corners and free kicks around the area. Plus then we can have Gerrard in the box attacking the ball as he's great in the area and more of a threat in the box.

Another thing if Alonso does stay at Anfield then maybe the relationship between Rafa and Xabi is not as bad as some suggest.

Or the lad is acting professional and putting his personal feelings to one side for the benefit of his career.

Of course it is not as bad as people suggest, you just have to look at how Alonso performed last season to see that.

So are we believing bascombe on this one?

Yes why wouldn't we? He wouldn't just make that up on a whim would he?

Reading between the lines it looks like it doesn't mean Xabi won't leave still though as Madrid could come in with the asking price next week and Rafa takes the dough despite Xabi not actively wanting to leave. I don't think the article is meant to be a Xabi is 100% defo staying piece but more of a he isn't actively looking to leave and if he does leave it will be others who make it happen rather than himself which was the case only two short weeks ago.