You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A thread about a man named Xabi

dave u

What to do?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. What to do?

• Buy Dave House, Gerrard centre mid, go 442.
    • Buy Augero, Gerrard centre mid, stay 4231.
    • Gerrard in the hole, buy centre mid, stay 4231
    • Don’t care, kill Rafa, burn down RBS

Whatever happens, we will move on. We always have always will. It will mean how the the team plays if he goes, however it's just something that Rafa will need to adapt the team to. I would want a player that can make a difference to what Xabi does, I don't neccassarily feel getting a different player to Alonso as opposed to replacing him would be a bad thing. Evolution of the team, no.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever happens, we will move on. We always have always will. It will mean how the the team plays if he goes, however it's just something that Rafa will need to adapt the team to. I would want a player that can make a difference to what Xabi does, I don't neccassarily feel getting a different player to Alonso as opposed to replacing him would be a bad thing. Evolution of the team, no.

If we manage to evolve as a team and not weaken because of Alonso's departure then I agree, it will probably be forgotten.

I'm just a bit worried about this though because as I said earlier, I can't really think of many players who could replace Alonso. All i'm interested in is that we have as good a team as possible and don't weaken it.

Only time will tell.

If he goes we defo move on

If he stays I think moving on might be a lot more difficult than some people think

Rafa's in contol now and he will be judged on the close season as a whole.

I wish we'd sold Gerrard when he said he'd wanted to go. Players who express a desire to leave and then end up staying never do anything.

A lot of people probably expressed the same sentiment. OK I know this is an attempt at sarcasm. If Xabi turns around and says he wants to stay we can carry on. But if he is adamant he wants to go then he can go, as far as I am concerned. He's not irreplacable and we will still be here when he's gone.

The more I read about this Xabi Saga, the more I realise both Xabi and Rafa are cut from the same cloth, they seem to share similar traits. Both extremely private men who don't wear their heart on their sleeves, extremely professional and any decisions they make will be based solely on what is best for their careers.

So if he does stay as some are suggesting, I very much doubt it will be detrimental to their working relationship. According to many on here it has been strained for the past year and we didn't get too much negative story's coming out in the football season, last year.

The more I read about this Xabi Saga, the more I realise both Xabi and Rafa are cut from the same cloth, they seem to share similar traits. Both extremely private men who don't wear their heart on their sleeves, extremely professional and any decisions they make will be based solely on what is best for their careers.

So if he does stay as some are suggesting, I very much doubt it will be detrimental to their working relationship. According to many on here it has been strained for the past year and we didn't get too much negative story's coming out in the football season, last year.

Totally disagree on both Xabi and Rafa there.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

All the Spanish lads have travelled

Edited by Ulysses Everett McGill

This whole saga dragging on is no good for anyone.

Rafa will want it sorted so he can finalise his plans - no doubt he has several plans if Xabi goes and also several plans if Xabi leaves.

Xabi will want it sorted so he can move, find a house, or just simply settle into the training routine.

Personally, after the support Xabi has received during last pre-season i'll feel a little let down if he hands in a transfer request.

The constant neverending saga is a major source of discontent for me. If he stays - great, let's hopefully sign Silva, Young or someone to add that attacking flair we need. Or if he goes then lets bring in a slightly more attack minded centre mid and that attacking flair player.

Either way - i'm looking forward to the next season.

All the Spanish lads have travelled

Ah yes but, but, Xabi is a basque.....erm....erm....

If they have all gone then that surely leads towards him staying as if he didn't go it would be the confirmation we need to say he is going. Surely if he hadn't gone he wouldn't be able to speak to Real representatives from Madrid? Or is Rafa forcing him to go out there to be more of cunt?

The longer this goes on the more I am certain he won't go, as certain as I was when this whole saga began. I would like to him stay, however I wouldn't deem it the end of the world as some over the top girls would do.

If we manage to evolve as a team and not weaken because of Alonso's departure then I agree, it will probably be forgotten.

I'm just a bit worried about this though because as I said earlier, I can't really think of many players who could replace Alonso. All i'm interested in is that we have as good a team as possible and don't weaken it.

Only time will tell.

I think by trying to get that replacement will end up in us putting all our eggs into one basket and losing out. That's why I think if he does go, it would be best for us to find an alternative who has the quality to keep us going forward. It would mean changing the side's style, but you should be able to keep the core dimensions.