You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Howard Webb

RobbieOR

The most damning stat: In the last 30 minutes, 53% of all penalties given are game-changing ie. equalising or winning. In Howard's case, it's 9%. Clearly proves Usher's theory that being a shithouse gets you to the top. Image and perception over reality, as per fucking usual.

Can't take the credit for that theory, I'm only repeating what both Graeme Poll and Mark Halsey have said about him, and clearly they know what they're talking about.

That Telegraph piece is brilliant, those numbers are pretty startling, it's even worse than I thought it was.

This stands out:

So, a quiz. Howard Webb has refereed 500 matches, at all levels of the game, over 13 years. How many times do you think he's sent a player off in the first 15 minutes?

If you said none, come down to the front and collect your prize. You're right.

He could have sent Eto'o off for his studs up 'challenge' on Hendo and didn't even give a card - that was within the first 10', no? I wonder if the chavs knew that and tried to take Hendo out early, or at least stall his motor, knowing that Webb would do nothing.

I hope we get safely up on them at Anfield for someone to take a good yellow for the team against Eto'o.

When the team is as cynical as one of Mourinho's, even the player assigned to make the challenge might well be pre selected.

OK fair enough, those stats suggest it would have made no difference anyway but, if one of their hatchet men had made that challenge, a normal ref might have seen it differently. When it's an attacker who everyone just assumes can't defend so it's not really his fault, he is more likely to be given the benefit of the doubt. Something someone like Mourinho will be well aware of.

Just sent this to the FA..

My enquiry relates to whether The FA has any controls in place for measurement of referee statistics. In many walks of life top professionals are measured statistically to look out for anomalies. For example surgeons are measured against death rates to ensure the safety of all patients that go for operations. Schools are subject to league tables to measure standards.

I wonder whether The FA has such measures to enforce impartiality amongst the officials?

I have no doubt measures are in place to ensure a referee doesn't get to officiate in games of teams they inform you they support, however an assurance from an official should not be the 'be all and end all'. 

I write this as I have come across a recent statistic. Liverpool have lost 14 of the last 22 games refereed by Howard Webb. I'm not going to list those decisions that have gone against Liverpool (that is too subjective). This figure is clearly an anomaly and I wonder whether these stand out figures are investigated as the would be in other walks of life?

Many Thanks.
  • Upvote 2

Just sent this to the FA..

My enquiry relates to whether The FA has any controls in place for measurement of referee statistics. In many walks of life top professionals are measured statistically to look out for anomalies. For example surgeons are measured against death rates to ensure the safety of all patients that go for operations. Schools are subject to league tables to measure standards.

I wonder whether The FA has such measures to enforce impartiality amongst the officials?

I have no doubt measures are in place to ensure a referee doesn't get to officiate in games of teams they inform you they support, however an assurance from an official should not be the 'be all and end all'. 

I write this as I have come across a recent statistic. Liverpool have lost 14 of the last 22 games refereed by Howard Webb. I'm not going to list those decisions that have gone against Liverpool (that is too subjective). This figure is clearly an anomaly and I wonder whether these stand out figures are investigated as the would be in other walks of life?

Many Thanks.

Except it isn't, not without a massive amount of analysis of other factors - the opposition, the players, all of the decisions, Webb's win / loss stats with other teams etc etc.

He's a cunt though and I've no doubt everything about the bloke stinks.

The situation is ridiculous. Webb has a 25 year association with and is paid by an institution that is currently under investigation for the death of 96 Liverpool fans and mass corruption afterwards. He has colleagues, past and maybe even present, that are likely to face criminal proceedings and serve prison sentences for their involvement.

Regardless of whether he is corrupt, biased, incompetent or even the best referee in the world, no sane organisation would put him in a position of potential conflict with Liverpool fans. Yet the FA and PGMO repeatedly do this.

It is inappropriate for LFC or anyone associated with Hillsborough to have to point this out and cast aspersions on him. It's not even necessary for the FA and PGMO to make a statement that they will not use him for these matches. In practically any other world, it would just be quietly sorted out that the potential for a contentious situation would not arise. It is frankly unbelievable that the people who run football in this country cannot realise that

• Upvote 7

The situation is ridiculous. Webb has a 25 year association with and is paid by an institution that is currently under investigation for the death of 96 Liverpool fans and mass corruption afterwards. He has colleagues, past and maybe even present, that are likely to face criminal proceedings and serve prison sentences for their involvement.

Regardless of whether he is corrupt, biased, incompetent or even the best referee in the world, no sane organisation would put him in a position of potential conflict with Liverpool fans. Yet the FA and PGMO repeatedly do this.

It is inappropriate for LFC or anyone associated with Hillsborough to have to point this out and cast aspersions on him. It's not even necessary for the FA and PGMO to make a statement that they will not use him for these matches. In practically any other world, it would just be quietly sorted out that the potential for a contentious situation would not arise. It is frankly unbelievable that the people who run football in this country cannot realise that

Good post . I am not comfortable linking Hillsborough and the performance of a referee and I don't think you are too from what you say. It really does leave us wide open to accusations of playing the victim card and crucially cheapens the suffering of the victims.

It is unbelievable that the authorities are not aware of this. I am amazed that Webb himself

wants to be officiating our games, The bloke is probably just a complete cunt .

• Upvote 1

Here is a section rules from the FA.com under Regulations for the registration and control of referees.

Conflicts of Interest

A Referee shall at all times act impartially. Where a Referee believes that there is a material interest

conflicting with the duties and obligations of a Match Official and any appointment, then the Referee

shall decline to act or officiate and declare it to the appointing authority (whose decision in relation to

any dispute or difference in such matters shall be final and binding).

pointed earlier in the thread a bit of text I had found on the FA.com website (above), I don’t 100% know if these are genuine rules...However, the way I read it is, it is down to Webb himself to state if he feels there is a Conflict of Interest and not the role of the FA. To me that just seems a bit fucked up. I don’t feel the FA have a personal agenda, I don’t feel the PGMO have a personal agenda....I just think Webb is shit and all the bad decisions he has made in the past has subjected him to chants from the crowd, the mock up photo Babel put on twitter ect and I honestly think in his mind prior to any game with LFC subconsciously or blatantly he knows he is going to fuck us over….there is too much history with his past, our past and that of his employer for him to have sound and impartial judgement. For that reason I don’t think Webb should be allowed to referee a Liverpool game again for the foreseeable future and certainly not until the Hillsborough investigation has concluded.

• Upvote 1

Good post . I am not comfortable linking Hillsborough and the performance of a referee and I don't think you are too from what you say. It really does leave us wide open to accusations of playing the victim card and crucially cheapens the suffering of the victims.

It is unbelievable that the authorities are not aware of this. I am amazed that Webb himself

wants to be officiating our games, The bloke is probably just a complete cunt .

I too aren't keen on linking Hillsborough with his refereeing, I think we should just use the obvious example of his shocking decisions against us on a regular basis as evidence of his bias for whatever reason and stop the cunt from getting our games