You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Speed Dating

Scott_M

Anybody ever been or know somebody who has? If so, what were their thoughts?

The reason I ask, my mate has just moved to Manchester. She doesn't know anybody and has suggested we go next Friday.

I've reluctantly agreed to go with her, you know, doing the good friend thing etc, but can't decide what to make of it.

Part of it thinks it'll be a laugh as we're only doing it for a joke, the other part of me is scared stiff and the thought of having to make conversation with 10-20 people.

Thoughts?

Anybody ever been or know somebody who has? If so, what were their thoughts?

The reason I ask, my mate has just moved to Manchester. She doesn't know anybody and has suggested we go next Friday.

I've reluctantly agreed to go with her, you know, doing the good friend thing etc, but can't decide what to make of it.

Part of it thinks it'll be a laugh as we're only doing it for a joke, the other part of me is scared stiff and the thought of having to make conversation with 10-20 people.

Thoughts?

Why dont you and your mate just have crazy sex?

It would cut out the part where there's speed dating

You have more money than sense. £25 to talk to 20 birds for 3 minutes each.##

The only way to enjoy to is invent a persona of a total wacko ( patrick bateman ) and just take the piss and talk about axes or fireman or just stupid stuff.

Yeah, I did baulk at the £25.

Funnily enough, I have been saying I'm just going to make up what I do etc.

A Patrick Bateman one sounds interesting - 'Do you like my egg shell business card with raised royal navy font?'

Been there. Done that. This is all part of the plan for seconds.

I think its more useful for women because its not in their instincts to approach men. As for men, its probably more suited to the more shy and introverted types who are less likely to approach a women off their own steam (shithouse)

You cant beat the thrill of the chase and using your natural skills to charm a woman.

I would go for a laugh but wouldnt expect much.

Being sat at an 'organised' function designed to match people up is a bit lame.

I'm not a gullible septic - so would never be interested. If you haven't got time in your busy schedule to meet a partner/lover/one-nighter then this won't fix your fucked-up life.

I've got a girlfriend anyway. I'm just being supportive!

Where in Manchester and is she fit?

Circle Club or something and yes she is.

• 2 weeks later...

I went on Friday. It was quite funny actually. Only a couple of hot birds there, of which the best one was the girl I went with. She also told me I was the best looking lad there, so we were both punching below our weight.

I made up my occupation to make it more interesting. I was a runner for Granada and go for pints with Tyrone from Corrie - that seemed to impress nearly everybody.

No real wierdo's though, which was a bit upsetting.

Got a bit tiring before the end, only so many girls you can make small talks bollocks with per night.

Inevitably that was how it ended. I should have suggested it earlier and saved us the £25 each.

They've got a variant of this in Sarf Landan now. It's called Drive-by Dating. Basically you turn up your loudpeakers in the car and wind down your windows while making polite conversation at the top of your voice in a ridiculous patoir. If either party feels disrespected by the other, they are at liberty to aim and fire a cap at the plaintiff with the aim of bursting their bottom before the traffic lights change.

I've got a mate who went speed dating a few years ago. He ended up pulling this mental born again christian woman who pretty much dragged him onto Cleethorpes beach in the middle of the night and shagged him. For the next two days he kept getting text messages from her saying how much she felt like she'd betrayed god and that they were now both doomed to the eternal flames of hell and so on. Funny but freaky.

There's some weirdos out there, people.

I've got a girlfriend anyway. I'm just being supportive!

I went on Friday. It was quite funny actually. Only a couple of hot birds there, of which the best one was the girl I went with. She also told me I was the best looking lad there, so we were both punching below our weight.

I made up my occupation to make it more interesting. I was a runner for Granada and go for pints with Tyrone from Corrie - that seemed to impress nearly everybody.

No real wierdo's though, which was a bit upsetting.

Got a bit tiring before the end, only so many girls you can make small talks bollocks with per night.

Inevitably that was how it ended. I should have suggested it earlier and saved us the £25 each.

So in short you're a man whore - you cheated on your bird with some bird you met at a cost of £25 then fucked your mate as well.. nice... you seem like a good catch!