You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Electric Razors

Unrighteous

Alrighty peoples...

Any recommendations on electric razors? I've sensitive skin and razors usually kill my face and recently its been QUITE bad and I think its time for an electric razor again.

I think I had a braun before and it wasn't bad... but any of you lot use them and like 'em?

Nope - and surely an electric razor is going to irritate sensitive skin a lot more than a wet shave?? I used a leccy once and hated it. Have been wet-shaving ever since.

Nope - and surely an electric razor is going to irritate sensitive skin a lot more than a wet shave?? I used a leccy once and hated it. Have been wet-shaving ever since.

The problem is the razor burn and I get lots of ingrown/infected hairs. The last time I used an electric razor it wasn't nearly as bad for that but the shave wasn't nearly as close.

Have you tried those Wilkinson Protector razors? They have bars across them so the chances of cutting yourself/hurting your skin are really reduced. I just got one again recently and they're my fave by far.

Same here, I hated the way it seemed to almost literally rip the hairs off my face instead of neatly cutting them off, and just gave up instantly.

Have you considered the option of going with perma-stubble?

Just get yourself a beard trimmer, set it on the lowest setting and trim away. Quick, no irritation and you're left looking like proper men do, with facial hair.

Never considered it but I might look at this option much closer with how badly razors hurt my skin.

• 3 years later...
Alrighty peoples...

Any recommendations on electric razors? I've sensitive skin and razors usually kill my face and recently its been QUITE bad and I think its time for an electric razor again.

I think I had a braun before and it wasn't bad... but any of you lot use them and like 'em?

The problem is the razor burn and I get lots of ingrown/infected hairs. The last time I used an electric razor it wasn't nearly as bad for that but the shave wasn't nearly as close.

*Walks into thread acutely aware of potential for being called gay by Noos.*

*Remembers he's 40*

*Mans the fuck up*

I have both of these problems and have discovered a way of shaving and some products that massively relieve the problem to the point where in-growing hairs are a thing of the past (unless I go too many days without a shave when I'm off work) and razor burn is virtually non-existent.

Basically I use Liz Earle men's products; specifically the shave cream, face scrub and after-shave moisturiser. I have my razor (a Mach 3 Turbo) super sharp by using a sharpening block before every shave (unless it's a new blade). This cuts down on the burn and also extends the life of each blade by weeks (I used to change the blade every third shave! Work out the cost of that fucker!).

I then apply the shave cream which is very thin and only needs a pea-sized amount. This softens the hair loads but also allows you to see your beard so you can shave with the grain as opposed to against it which is disastrous, pain-wise. After that, I use the face scrub - again, only a small amount, and rub it into the beard area. This is the bit that stops the in-growing fuckers, ensuring none of the newly shorn hairs slip under the skin ready to turn into pain-bombs over the next few days.

Finally, I put the after-shave moisturiser onto the beard area and this repairs any skin damage and so stops the burn.

Two other factors in this routine it's taken me literally decades to discover: firstly, I shave no more than every other day and less when I can (although if I go too long, that has the opposite effect). So on a normal working week, I shave Monday, Wednesday and Friday giving my face a rest at the weekend. The second thing is that I shave in the (usually) shower or bath. This means the skin is hot and the hairs are lifted and softened. It also means the blade is also warm, which helps.

Finally, here's the website where they sell the stuff I use; it looks quite expensive but it lasts for fucking ages because you only need a very small amount (it's also great value as they often send you little freebies of stuff):

Liz Earle For Men

Hope that helps.

I have my razor (a Mach 3 Turbo) super sharp by using a sharpening block before every shave (unless it's a new blade). This cuts down on the burn and also extends the life of each blade by weeks (I used to change the blade every third shave! Work out the cost of that fucker!).

Now this I am interested in. How do I get my hands on this as I'd use the M3T also and the price of replacing those fuckers is ridiculous.

Now this I am interested in. How do I get my hands on this as I'd use the M3T also and the price of replacing those fuckers is ridiculous.

That's the one above that Captain mentions. Failing that, you can use your jeans: twenty to thirty strokes in one direction then the same in the other across the bias of the fabric. Works just as well and the only reason I bought the Razor Pit thing is because it's cheap and also more convenient than a pair of jeans to store in the same place as my razor.

I'd like to give growing a beard a go at some time but I dont think I could grow a decent looking one.

For some weird reason one side of my face could probably grow a reasonable looking full beard but the other side would be all bitty and scraggly.

My 22yr old son has got a full beard and its well better than anything I could grow.

I've been bearded lately and love not having to shave all of the beard zone

I was about to neg the fuck out of you for your lack of gratitude for my lengthy response to your plight. And then I realised I was three years late with my reply. Still, if you ever give up the beard, trust me - that post above is the way to go.