You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

TLW Photographers make your interest known

Nick Leeson

A nice part of the world mate !

Went ice skating down at the pier head !

IMG_3300_1_2_tonemapped.jpg

IMG_3373_4_5_tonemapped.jpg

IMG_3379_80_81_tonemapped.jpg

First trip over to Alfred for ages,weather was bitterly cold and ice aots !

IMG_3430.jpg

IMG_3481.jpg

IMG_3487.jpg

:santa:

HAAAAANNNNNNNGGGGG OOONNNNNNNN A MINUTE!!

Raininblood, are you also Askew Spit/Keith by any chance?

In another corner of the internet, I am keithjones84.

We've been chatting briefly on Flickr tonight then I just came on here and recognised your three graces/double yellow lines one from a few weeks ago.

Small world!

On the 'photography, making your interest known' side, I'm very much just a keen amateur myself, bumbling along and trying to learn what I can, but I'm chuffed to have had five or six as readers' pic of the day via Flickr in the Echo/Daily Post over the last few months, including tonights one.

P1200204_319.jpg

Apologies for the content seeing as we're not on the FF!

Going on a Liverpool Waterfront Night Lights walking tour in the next couple of weeks with a pro (an early birthday pressie) so looking forward to that and hoping to pic up some tips.

Has anyone on here been on one of them? Shaun Mackie, it's with...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Some impressive shots there RB!

For me, the B/W shot with the horse monument to the right is my fave... simply because I find it one of that photos that makes you want to come back and look again, seeing more little details and 'goings on'... plus it has me wondering what the foreground building is / was and who's lived there etc.

The one with the Liver Building and the couple - looks pretty wide... 18mm?

Nice job in the Radisson too.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the 'processed' look (saturated, photoshopped (almost CGI) look) - but it comes in for a lot a snooty criticism.

Very impressive.

Couple of tips for you novice photoshoppers and those playing with HDR

1) HDR serves little purpose in a scene that require HDR... basically, you need to be looking for shots that HAVE a dramatic contrast / range - because that's what you're trying to capture right? I know it sounds obvious, but sometimes you can see a really great scene and then (in your mind) visualise some great HDR version of it... but you never achieve the look you wanted - simply because the HDR was never there in the first place. That make sense?

2) Adjustments in Photoshop:

a) Place your image on a layer

b) Create a new 'adjustment layer' on top of the image

Do NOT just adjust the levels, or brightness and contrast... doing this will permanently change your image. But by using (b) - an 'adjustment layer' you can modify the adjustments as you like without compromising the original image layer.

3) Dramatic B/W

a) Place your image in a layer group/set

b) create a new adjustment layer (Hue/Saturation) in the layer group/set, just above your image layer. Desaturate your image (to make it B/W)

c) Duplicate the layer group/set (so you have two layers groups/sets of the same image

d) Change the blending style of the top layer group/set (usually set to normal, but try changing to hard light, or similar) - if the effect is too dramatic, simply reduce the opacity of the top layer to suit your taste.

You can similar HDR, or at least get more dramatic B/Ws this way.