You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If he couldn't control a moving ball properly, AND consistently, he would be nowhere near the Liverpool first team under Rafa Benitez or any other manager worth their salt, and that is a fact.

Same applies to Holland. Can't control a ball, Van Basten doesn't pick you.

I really don't know why you're mentioning who he plays for in this context because it's irrelevant in my opinion: I've seen virtually every one of his Liverpool appearances since he arrived and I think he's got an inconsistent touch which is no more than good at best, terrible at worst and reasonably decent for most of the time.

The reason he gets in the side for us has been a real issue for me in relation to Crouch's number of appearances, though. It's made more sense in the latest formation where the only better option was Gerrard who was being used elsewhere. However, with Keane arriving, I would make Gerrard first choice on the right of attack and drop Dirk to a back up role.

What is clear is that if he doesn't perform this season as well as his fans on here think he can then he will be out. 3 league goals, 2 of them penalties is not LFC standard for a player who played 16 league games up front and the rest in a forward position.

I really don't know why you're mentioning who he plays for in this context because it's irrelevant in my opinion: I've seen virtually every one of his Liverpool appearances since he arrived and I think he's got an inconsistent touch which is no more than good at best, terrible at worst and reasonably decent for most of the time.

The reason he gets in the side for us has been a real issue for me in relation to Crouch's number of appearances, though. It's made more sense in the latest formation where the only better option was Gerrard who was being used elsewhere. However, with Keane arriving, I would make Gerrard first choice on the right of attack and drop Dirk to a back up role.

That's just about how I see it too. I've accepted Dirk's first half of last season as just an extended loss of form and I see him as a valuable, versatile player. But I don't see him as a first team regular for a side with ambitions to be one of the best sides in the world.

erm, except he didn't. :whatever:

What do you think is consistantly? 100%? None of our players fall into that category.

90%+? None.

80%+? None

70%+? Few, more technically gifted players.

60%+? Most and Kuyt is in this category.

5%-10% higher rate of collecting a first touch, making a correct pass, making a successful dribble could mean the difference between a goal chance or not... maybe once a game, maybe more, maybe less. It'd be nice to have but it's not a big concern in the greater sense of it all.

It definitely will not invalidate a player's ability to play football.

50%? A poor game or a poor player, IMO.

What is clear is that if he doesn't perform this season as well as his fans on here think he can then he will be out. 3 league goals, 2 of them penalties is not LFC standard for a player who played 16 league games up front and the rest in a forward position.

ha ha

You said ALL of that to get a response, didn't you ? I bet you are laughing your cock off behind a computer screen now waiting for the next guy to tear into you.

And you're probably naked as well

Guest TK-421

I mention who he plays for because it is indicative of his quality, nothing else.

However, with Keane arriving, I would make Gerrard first choice on the right of attack and drop Dirk to a back up role.

I'd be very hesitant to break up the Torres/Gerrard partnership if it was me picking the team, but I'd definitely want to give your suggestion a try at some point, preferably when the result isn't crucial.

However I think that if we continue to play the same system that served us so well from Chelsea away onwards Kuyt will get into the team more often that not. If he doesn't whoever plays in the positions either side of Torres will have to be on their game.

I'd be extremely happy for Kuyt, Babel or anyone else in our attacking positions to put in a spellbinding season, scoring loads of goals, or providing lots of assists, or spreading panic amongst the opposition defence week in week out. That's where LFC needs to improve, and if people choose not to see that, because they're oversensitive to any objective critique of their favourite player, then they can't be helped.

I'd be extremely happy for Kuyt, Babel or anyone else in our attacking positions to put in a spellbinding season, scoring loads of goals, or providing lots of assists, or spreading panic amongst the opposition defence week in week out. That's where LFC needs to improve, and if people choose not to see that, because they're oversensitive to any objective critique of their favourite player, then they can't be helped.

And any word against Crouch sent you feral.

Guest TK-421

I'd rather see us improve defending set pieces and high balls into the centre of defence first, as I think that was a critical weakness last season. If we get it right at the back I believe we'll have enough to put most teams to the sword, taking into account we'll be adding Robbie Keane to an already accomplished attack.

I'd rather see us improve defending set pieces and high balls into the centre of defence first, as I think that was a critical weakness last season. If we get it right at the back I believe we'll have enough to put most teams to the sword, taking into account we'll be adding Robbie Keane to an already accomplished attack.

Agger coming back will help with the defence. I think the introduction of Skrtel didn't help us (it's the same every time a new CB comes into the back four, it takes time to gel), but we need to take more of our chances to reflect our dominance of games. We scored a lot last year, but we squandered tons too. Turning those draws into wins by taking our chances will make a massive difference.

mmmm. It must be terrible, living with ADD. Do you only read the first few words of each post before losing the plot?

And it's consistEnt.

I read several posts and went back to address one point. It's called 'selective argumentation' which implies that I've probably agreed with, have no strong feeling, or can't be bothered to reply to your other points.

My point also varies from your 100 out of 100/workrate making up for lack of skill balls...

I'm saying that Kuyt's 'consistency' falls inline with other footballers of varying classes of skill/usefulness. You are representing that Kuyt is not consistent enough for LFC.

Oh, and thanks for pointing out my typo. :thumbsup:

its possible Babel can do it but the others are hopeless im afraid, hopefully Keane is starting on the right all season long

its possible Babel can do it but the others are hopeless im afraid, hopefully Keane is starting on the right all season long

If this happens then we won't win the league. Guarenteed.

We have to utilise our squad for the long haul and multiple competitions and Kuyt is part of our 'would make it into a top european sides' group.

TK - Diao played for Liverpool, and I can pass a football better than him. Not the best angle of attack there mate.

Paul - His control is inconsistent, definitely, but it isn't at best good. Re-watch th Inter game if you want proof of how excellent it can be at times.

I'm still waiting for someone to give me the reason why pace is always quated as such a "footballing" attribute but stamina or work-rate isn't.

Guest TK-421
TK - Diao played for Liverpool, and I can pass a football better than him. Not the best angle of attack there mate.

You might like to think so, but you'd probably be wrong. Salif Diao will almost certainly be way better in every facet of the game than you are.

You might like to think so, but you'd probably be wrong. Salif Diao will almost certainly be way better in every facet of the game than you are.

Nah, I'm not wrong. His passing was dire, horribly bad. I can pass a ball better than him. I can even show you my working out, I have it here on some scrap paper.

Guest TK-421
Nah, I'm not wrong. His passing was dire, horribly bad. I can pass a ball better than him. I can even show you my working out, I have it here on some scrap paper.

Hehe, I actually rated Salif. I rated him as really shit.

I mention who he plays for because it is indicative of his quality, nothing else.

I'd be very hesitant to break up the Torres/Gerrard partnership if it was me picking the team, but I'd definitely want to give your suggestion a try at some point, preferably when the result isn't crucial.

However I think that if we continue to play the same system that served us so well from Chelsea away onwards Kuyt will get into the team more often that not. If he doesn't whoever plays in the positions either side of Torres will have to be on their game.

I still think who he plays for is only indicative of our finances and his reputation from his days in Holland.

On the Gerrard/Torres axis, I actually think it'll potentially be even better with Gerrard linking up from the right as he'll be able to deliver the kind of whipped in cross that great attacking headers of the ball thrive on. Furthermore, the fluidity I expect to see from our front four will also mean that the two of them can link up in and around the box as well.

In fact, one of the main reasons (beyond the player's own pedigree) for my excitement at Keane's arrival is that I believe the right side attacking role is perfect for Gerrard - and even more so than centre mid, the right of a four or off Torres. If it clicks as I expect, I can see a second Player of the Year award on the cards for him (and I called the last one correctly before that season started).

Paul - His control is inconsistent, definitely, but it isn't at best good. Re-watch th Inter game if you want proof of how excellent it can be at times.

I'm still waiting for someone to give me the reason why pace is always quated as such a "footballing" attribute but stamina or work-rate isn't.

Stu, this'll sound like I'm twisting the knife into Dirk which I don't really want to do. However, one or two great touches can be achieved by anyone. Even I can occasionally pull a ball out of nowhere like there's glue on my boot.