You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

WHo was the best Doctor Who?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. WHo was the best Doctor Who?

• William Hartness
    • Peter Cushing
    • Patrick Troughton
    • Jon Pertwee
    • Tom Baker
    • Peter Davison
    • Colin Baker
    • Sylvester McCoy
    • Paul McGann
    • Christopher Eccleston
    • David Tennant

I post on a Who forum which is full of internet warriors. Makes the FF look like a nursery school - for sissies!!

Reading the posts on there you wonder if any of them actually like Dr Who

Where do I have my best forum 'chat' about my favourite programme - here!!

Gotta love the GF

I can hear the Cheers theme tune: Where everybody knows your name

There's a Who forum?

You post on it?

ha ha ha - consider your dinner money taken, nerd.

Yep, couldnt agree more. The last episodes and most of he last series were utter shite.

I couldn't stand his elastic face. I'm overjoyed Davies regenerated Doctor who as I loved the comeback. But he was one of the worse Doctors, as Tennat showed. He went on a series too far too though. Bring on Moffat and the new Doctor, I only hope the BBC producers have th balls to let Moffat go free. Maybe then we could get the sceince fiction episodes Doctor Who deserves.

Totally agree with you on this, Davies has wasted Tennant, I hoped that he would stay at least one more to do a series with Moffat.

Davies has had some good ideas, but mostly ruins them with soppy shite, Doctor Who is supposed to be shades of grey (and really probably more black!) - I already like the new guy more than Ecclestone, but that isn't saying much

Sorry to see him go. Been an ace doctor but I'm sorry the Xmas specials* were a load of self indulgent, fan obssessed, 'greatest hits', load of bollocks I have ever had the misfortune to watch (And I was still a fan during the 80's!!!)

I accept that Tennant had earned his lap of honour which he inevitably got at christmas but think he would have been better served by what Nu Who has done largely very effectively for the past four years which is tell a decent story.

All my 'not we' friends wanted me to explain it for them. I think that speaks volumes!!!!

*In fact the only decent special of the gap year was Waters of Mars

Again totally agree with this, Waters of Mars was one of the best in a while (and *gasp* co written by Davies) the other "specials" were absolute drivel - the bus one in particular had me spitting with rage it was so poor - whatshername from Eastenders providing a "sexy" companion (worst acting I have ever seen in Doctor Who - so unconvincing), some stereo typical "bus people" - you know for the human touch that Davies likes so much, Poorly written and laughably acted "dramatic" scenes with the special forces, in particular the part when the Commander hold a gun to Evan's head, and disbelief that our supposed crack force are unable to stop a flying bus escape - they all just stand there going oooh I can't do anything.

Absolute shite

Tennant going is a big disappointment for me as I really feel he was been wasted (such an important point I need to say it twice!!)

Good Episodes The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit, Human Nature/Family Of Blood, Blink, and Silence In The Library

Bad Episodes School Reunion, Love and Monsters, The Runaway Bride, The Lazarus Experiment, the whole story arc with The Master in series 3, Partners In Crime, The Sontaran Stratagem, The Doctor's Daughter, The Unicorn and the Wasp

Agree with your list of good episodes. To which I'd add

Dalek

Father’s day

The Empty Child

The Doctor Dances

Season 1 Finale

Tooth & Claw

The Girl in The Fireplace

Season 2 Finale

Shakespeare Code

Fires of Pompeii

Midnight

Turn Left

Bad Episodes

You're obviously a harsher assessor than I

I think the truly awful episodes of the last few years are

The Long Game

The Idiots Lantern

Fear Her

Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks

The Doctor's Daughter (save for Georgia Moffat in a very tight tee shirt)

Planet of the Dead

The Xmas Specials

Of the ones you mention:

School Reunion - bit of a lightweight story but I liked the nostalgia vibe to it and is my secretary's son's favourite story

Love and Monsters - a marmite story. You either love it or hate it.

The Runaway Bride - starts well and I love the TARDIS motorway chase but loses its way halfway through.

The Lazarus Experiment - can see where you are coming from

the whole story arc with The Master in series 3 - agreed but Utopia is on my crap but like it episodes list. Plus I like Alex Moen

Partners In Crime - lightweight episode. Not one of my favourites but Mrs Mav likes the Adipose

The Sontaran Stratagem - another guilty pleasure

The Doctor's Daughter - agreed

The Unicorn and the Wasp - an attempt at something different. Not one of my favourites but I don't criticise them for trying, otherwise you just get more of the same tired material

Agree with your list of good episodes. To which I'd add

Dalek

Father’s day

The Empty Child

The Doctor Dances

Season 1 Finale

Tooth & Claw

The Girl in The Fireplace

Season 2 Finale

Shakespeare Code

Fires of Pompeii

Midnight

Turn Left

Bad Episodes

You're obviously a harsher assessor than I

I think the truly awful episodes of the last few years are

The Long Game

The Idiots Lantern

Fear Her

Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks

The Doctor's Daughter (save for Georgia Moffat in a very tight tee shirt)

Planet of the Dead

The Xmas Specials

Of the ones you mention:

School Reunion - bit of a lightweight story but I liked the nostalgia vibe to it and is my secretary's son's favourite story

Love and Monsters - a marmite story. You either love it or hate it.

The Runaway Bride - starts well and I love the TARDIS motorway chase but loses its way halfway through.

The Lazarus Experiment - can see where you are coming from

the whole story arc with The Master in series 3 - agreed but Utopia is on my crap but like it episodes list. Plus I like Alex Moen

Partners In Crime - lightweight episode. Not one of my favourites but Mrs Mav likes the Adipose

The Sontaran Stratagem - another guilty pleasure

The Doctor's Daughter - agreed

The Unicorn and the Wasp - an attempt at something different. Not one of my favourites but I don't criticise them for trying, otherwise you just get more of the same tired material

Well it's all about the opinions isn't it! I think that Doctor Who has become quite shallow in an effort to widen it's audio base. I really loved Waters Of Mars because it showed the darkness in the Doctor's character with his burst of arrogance. For me though, I enjoy Doctor Who when it starts to explore more adult and profound themes. Genesis of the Daleks is by far the greatest ever episode of Doctor Who. The plot is incredible and it's only some hammy acting and some cheap effect that let it down, but the depth of the script and the impact of the story is unbelievable. In fact, I think I'm going to watch it now. Genocide, genetic engeneering, war of attrition, I'm in.

Well it's all about the opinions isn't it! I think that Doctor Who has become quite shallow in an effort to widen it's audio base. I really loved Waters Of Mars because it showed the darkness in the Doctor's character with his burst of arrogance. For me though, I enjoy Doctor Who when it starts to explore more adult and profound themes. Genesis of the Daleks is by far the greatest ever episode of Doctor Who. The plot is incredible and it's only some hammy acting and some cheap effect that let it down, but the depth of the script and the impact of the story is unbelievable. In fact, I think I'm going to watch it now. Genocide, genetic engeneering, war of attrition, I'm in.

Is that the one that's got hardly any daleks in it until near the end where they gang up on Davros, and is based on the Nazi's?? If so that is brilliant television, saw it a few years ago and it blew me away.

Is that the one that's got hardly any daleks in it until near the end where they gang up on Davros, and is based on the Nazi's?? If so that is brilliant television, saw it a few years ago and it blew me away.

Yup - that's Genesis.

Made 35 years ago and still worth a watch

Trudged into town today and bought DWM.

Lots of stuff about Series 5

I think you're going to like it

Some of the episodes are described as Burton-esque

Fair bit of dark themes to be explored there

Absolutely by far the greatest Dr Who story. Clearly exploring the Nazi overtones of the Daleks. And how, like the Daleks, great evil is often born of desperation, fear, and the feeling of hoplesness. Also the quandry of whether you can kill a species because in the future they might be bad.

I disagree aboutthe cheat effects and hammy acting. It is these qualities which turn good SCi Fi into absolutely brilliant Sci Fi. For proof see Star Trek TOS.

• 3 years later...

Interesting.

Could definitely see more of a move to a darker Doctor.

I think they've already been setting that up with Smith to be honest, plus the set up of the 50th anniversary special with John Hurt playing a previous incarnation of the Doctor - probably the one who wiped out the Timelords in the Time War referred to throughout 'New Who' but which has never actually been seen.

As I say, interesting...