You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

James Milner

StevieH

Really hope this doesn't happen, but it reminds me of the Yossi Benayoun stuff last year and then we signed him. Not that I'm having a dig at Yozzer though.

It reminds me of how people reacted when Rafa wanted Ashley Young before he signed for Villa.

Personally I think Milner is a decent player who would be nice to have in the squad. Perhaps not a priority for the first team, but if Rafa wants a major reshuffle where he replace Pennant, Guthrie, Kewell and Benayoun with e.g. Milner and "a nice surprise", then I'd be all for it.

Having said that, I really like Guthrie, but he's most effective in Gerrard's position, and having high hopes for Pacheco as well I think Guthrie's chances will be limited. Milner has the advantage of being capable of doing well in three positions.

I presume nobody's posted this

Liverpool close in on James Milner signing

Liverpool close in on James Milner signing - Football News - Telegraph

£7 million PLUS Guthrie. Hope Rafa knows what he's doing because he's going to go down in a lot of people's estimations if Milner turns out to be as ordinary as most expect.

I can't imagine him doing a better job than Kuyt in that position, so why bother?

I presume nobody's posted this

Liverpool close in on James Milner signing

Liverpool close in on James Milner signing - Football News - Telegraph

£7 million PLUS Guthrie. Hope Rafa knows what he's doing because he's going to go down in a lot of people's estimations if Milner turns out to be as ordinary as most expect.

I can't imagine him doing a better job than Kuyt in that position, so why bother?

Newcastle's new director of football.

Highwayman2.jpg

I've never really watched Milner enough to see if he is shite enough to warrent all the 'he's shite' talk.

I reckon Rafa sees him as having more scoring threat than Pennant?

I've got more goal threat than Pennant to be fair but I haven't had a call from Rafa.

Milner is not better than Pennant.

Maybe this is why Rafa wants him

Milner is described on the Newcastle United official website as "a good reader of the game".[65] One quality that is praised by commentators is Milner's awareness of players around him. This awareness allows him to pass the ball from a range of positions to teammates making forward runs, as well as giving him the confidence to take on defenders.[61] His awareness and willingness to pass have been called mature for a player of his age.[11]

Elsewhere in the entry

Souness did not make Milner a regular in the Newcastle side and controversially remarked that the club would not win "with a team of James Milners".

Hmmm... Paul Stewart, Mark Walters, Neil Ruddock, Julian Dicks, David Speedie ...

James Milner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

if Souness thought that how shit does that make Milner then?

Ah, good point. Hadn't thought of it like that.

Milner has always struck me as one of those "early developer" type players, like Norman Whiteside for instance. Not particularly talented, just a fully grown man at 16.

You remember that kid at school who had a full beard and sounded like Brian Blessed when all you could manage was a bit of bum fluff on your upper lip. That's James. Can't see him being the last piece of the jigsaw. Hope I'm wrong though.