You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Work - Life Balance

Section_31

• 7 months later...

Mark, you need more work and less life mate.  

I'm starting to agree with this. 

Life's expensive and annoying. Working is quite a cheap pastime, hell you actually make a bit of money doing it.

• 1 year later...

Once again facing the grim possibility of having to commute to greater Manchester in search of a half decent job, oweing to the fact Liverpool's media industry consists of a barman at Camp & Furness who once had a poem published in Hairy bastards today magazine.

Bloody creative types, bet you have a Mac instead of a proper computer that excel works on. Manchester is the right place for your lot

Getting to a weird stage in life, all my uni friends are married with kids now and it's something I had always wanted badly. I am at the age (32) where I need to get cracking, but I love my single backpacking lifestyle now and could end up maintaining it until it's too late for that stuff. Will be interesting to read this post back in 5 years and see what's changed.

It's changed.

• Upvote 2

If I told you what I actually did (n't) for paid employment I'd be negged to fuck; even worse I'm sacking it off for no more money and more work because after 15 years I've had enough and want more work in a job I feel I can ethically do.

I'm glad to hear you giving up the Panda Vasectomy Tzar role Stouff. You're good. Very very good. But enough is enough. Find something better to do with those rudimentary blades and the twine

I'm glad to hear you giving up the Panda Vasectomy Tzar role Stouff. You're good. Very very good. But enough is enough. Find something better to do with those rudimentary blades and the twine

It's time I grew up; the pandas will just have to look after themselves.

Thinking of going down to a four day week. The bird would love me to give up work but it's just not viable, financially or practically.

If I could drop my hours and just do 2 long days a week and have 5 days off that could work out very nicely!

Depends on the money and work agreeing to it first though.

I did this when my daughter was born ,trialed it with parental leave first going for a 3 day week for a year..loved it and have been doing it ever since .I've the best of both worlds..I get to stay abreast of technical changes within telecom's,keep up my training and at the same time be a dad to my kids  instead of the fella they see at the weekends.

Work have really taken to it too,loads of younger parents in my office respect and even a tad jealous of me and the fact that i'm working away as a full time part-timer brings me plenty of good feedback from management..I'm the Token bloke doing this and fucking loving it

Quality of life has changed for the better too ,have my own routines with the kids,and the Mrs is delighted having the pressure eased on her

Best decision I ever made ..can't recommend it highly enough

• Upvote 5

If I told you what I actually did (n't) for paid employment I'd be negged to fuck; even worse I'm sacking it off for no more money and more work because after 15 years I've had enough and want more work in a job I feel I can ethically do.

Are you the UK's Magic Mike?