You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Work - Life Balance

Section_31

Struggling to imagine anything that would be worse than a PM exchange with Fowlers God discussing mental health.

That is quite funny, CT but it would appear from his post that FG isn't quite the klutz he has sometimes led us to believe

Seriously though CD I've been signed off for 6 weeks with stress related issues and I'd imagine they're going to extend that as my GP won't sign me back into work as I've got some bad things going on at the minute.

Swallow your pride, accept their help and take the time off for Christ sake. I'm in the same boat as you, civil service, PCS Union, and they honestly couldn't have been more supportive. PM me bro if you want to talk about it.

• Upvote 2

That is quite funny, CT but it would appear from his post that FG isn't quite the klutz he has sometimes led us to believe

My mum is an OT in mental health and I lost my best friend to schizophrenia 7 years ago this January. I'm not saying for one minute that CD is at that level but before anyone if you on this forum get there I will be at your services.

And champ, young lady......

My mum is an OT in mental health and I lost my best friend to schizophrenia 7 years ago this January. I'm not saying for one minute that CD is at that level but before anyone if you on this forum get there I will be at your services.

And champ, young lady......

...yes?

I may have mentioned this earlier but my office hours are 10-3, and I do a little marking in the the night, maybe an hour every couple of days. I'm on a full time wage for that as well. When not with a client I'm home based where I watch films and sleep, again being paid for it.

Seriously though CD I've been signed off for 6 weeks with stress related issues and I'd imagine they're going to extend that as my GP won't sign me back into work as I've got some bad things going on at the minute.

Swallow your pride, accept their help and take the time off for Christ sake. I'm in the same boat as you, civil service, PCS Union, and they honestly couldn't have been more supportive. PM me bro if you want to talk about it.

Just read this, mate and feel a bit ropey about our wee ding dong on The Stone Roses thread this morning. Sometimes easy to log on and get into a row when you have no idea what's going on with the other person. I hope everything works out for you.

• Upvote 2

Just read this, mate and feel a bit ropey about our wee ding dong on The Stone Roses thread this morning. Sometimes easy to log on and get into a row when you have no idea what's going on with the other person. I hope everything works out for you.

Ta mate. We're only chatting shit over music no need to feel sorry for it!

Just admitting I was right is enough.

• Upvote 1

Ha ha, aye, I get a bit carried away about music sometimes, at the end of the day we like what we like and it doesn't matter a fuck what anyone else thinks about what we listen to.

You were right, some of their songs don't sound like Slade, I was generalising to emphasise my point, which was a bit lazy on my part. Believe it or not I actually think Slide Away is a really good song. And some Slade stuff is fucking brilliant as well.

I'm lucky I think. I do 7-3, Mon-fri so that I can pick my lad up from school.

The nature of my job includes working overnight at times (probably 10 hours a month on average) but for that I get paid overtime as well as working from home the next day to recover etc.

I like to think i've earnt it by working really hard but I suppose we would all say that!

I sometimes wish i did less hours but it would leave me with far less money. I work 6-6 20 or so shifts a month before overtime. Its not all bad as we do next to nothing at work and have a good laugh on the whole and weekends are pretty much a case of watching sports on my laptop. When im kickboxing after work though it leads to a bloody long day. Leave home 4:45-05.00 work till 6,get into gym and get change/chat/warm up till 7 finish and get away around 31:00,get home 21:30 collapse and repeat mon-fri. I enjoy it on the whole though so its not bad.

In answer to the OPs question, my work at the minute is practically my life right now but at this moment in time I wouldn't change it for the world. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones - voted one of the best places to work in the UK due to the money they plough into incentive trips abroad, team nights out, massive parties throughout the year etc (last year's Xmas party was at Harry Potter world for example) May balls, FYE parties, birthday lunches, vendor nights out amongst others), they have to do this though because the job is bloody tough - long hours, lots of rejection and all target driven. It pays well so it's worth it, whether it's sustainable for a number of years without me having a complete burn out is another question altogether. Although I've been here 4 years now and the enthusiasm I had when I started hasn't waned one bit... starting to lose a couple of hairs off the top of my head mind!

I've found that as I've gotten older, my social circle has diminished and my work time has increased and I don;t think I'm alone in that either. To focus on work more sort of stops me going bored, I suppose. Friends are busy doing things with their family, as I am with mine when they're free, so catching time to do things socially have reduced. Work fills that gap.

Having said all that, the pressures of business these days has turned many from a - working to live ideal, to a living to work, one.