You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Work - Life Balance

Section_31

49 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I wonder how 'typical' those businesses are in workload, hours worked etc, also be interested to see how it works in the public sector.

There is no chance of it in public sector. I work in the public sector and the shit the mail ect give us for wfh for two days shows that.

The general public think we earn 50k a year retire at 50 and spend most of our working day on a peleton watching tv

35 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

There is no chance of it in public sector. I work in the public sector and the shit the mail ect give us for wfh for two days shows that.

The general public think we earn 50k a year retire at 50 and spend most of our working day on a peleton watching tv

If it becomes the norm then they’ll have to because people will leave and they won’t be able to recruit.  It’ll be cheaper to go 4 days.  

I moved jobs in July and it was the best thing I’ve done in ages.

Work a Mon, tues, fri, sat & sun one week and then wed & Thursday the next week. 12 hour shifts but I can usually fuck off home earlier as it’s a laid back place and pretty fucking easy. I have a much smaller team to manage now and hardly any stress to deal with.

3 hours ago, Clem H Fandango said:

would rather a 3 day week with monday and friday off..3x 13 hour shifts. Unfortunately for most companies the phone lines are mon-fri and then we have the service industry working 24/7.

That’s what I’ve done since 2015. I do 3 x 11hr shifts tues, weds, thurs. I originally told my boss it’s for childcare reasons as I split up with my daughters mum when she was a baby. I couldn’t imagine going back to doing a full week now. It would be fucking shit. 

2 hours ago, littletedwest said:

I think the volume of work is vastly different in the public sector department to department as well so while it would be viable for one area to drop to 4 days there'll be others in higher profile area's that just wouldn't have that capacity. 

3 hours ago, littletedwest said:

Yep

Apparently every single public sector worker sits at home all day doing fuck all.