You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Losing Touch With People

Section_31

Have you ever been really gutted to lose touch with someone?

I had a mate from an old job called Mark and he was a cracking lad but I lost my phone and numbers a couple of years ago, tried facebook etc to no avail.

In a strange way it's like he's dead! You see stuff or hear a joke and think 'he'd have fucking buzzed off that!' then you get this slight pang of sadness that you don't see them anymore!

And no I'm not gay (not that there's anything wrong with being gay © Seinfeld)

you cant of been that good a mate if you lose touch with someone. Cant you just go round and knock at his house?

I'd only been once and it was in Manchester, fucked if I could remember where it is.

He wasn't like a lifelong mate or anything like just a top lad. You can never have enough good mates and it's a shame when you lose any.

Is all.

I'd only been once and it was in Manchester, fucked if I could remember where it is.

He wasn't like a lifelong mate or anything like just a top lad. You can never have enough good mates and it's a shame when you lose any.

Is all.

What was he in to? You should post on forums and stuff just incase.

you cant of been that good a mate if you lose touch with someone. Cant you just go round and knock at his house?

you would think that wouldn't you but I had a mate at high school and we were thick as thieves. I would talk to him about stuff I wouldn't talk to anyone else about (manly stuff of course) and our personalities just meshed really well and we were always hanging around together. Im the kind of guy who is friendly with everyone but only have a few really close friends and he was one of them.

After high school we just started to see less and less of each other not for any reason really we just had different things on in the week. Then eventually didn't see each other at all.

I haven't seen him for about 2 years and I actually got a phone out of the blue from his girlfriend a couple of weeks ago planning a party and found out he moved away a few hours drive from me, I couldn't go but I talked to him on the phone and we said we would catch up but im guessing we won't which is a shame. The longer you put it off the more awkward it gets to start hanging out again and once high school is over you have to find reasons to get together.

I had a mate from an old job called Mark and he was a cracking lad but I lost my phone and numbers a couple of years ago, tried facebook etc to no avail.

In a strange way it's like he's dead! You see stuff or hear a joke and think 'he'd have fucking buzzed off that!' then you get this slight pang of sadness that you don't see them anymore!

Is it cos you touched his willy?

I am truly shite at staying in touch with people. Basically my life revolves around family and I only really see mates once in a blue moon or if we work together. For example, I've got an exceptionally close mate who lives five minutes walk away and I've seen him once in two years. The problem is that he is a single, almost nocturnal alcoholic and we operate in completely different time zones. I've also lost touch with all my close mates from university.

I do see my friends from school, but that's because they all come home to see their parents and we hook up at those times. I've got two close mates from work, one of whom we occasionally go out for a bite to eat with and the other who I have a pint with every Friday after work.

I do regret not seeing people, but family dominates my life.

It's not me, is it? I lived in Manchester (Salford) from 95-98...

I am truly shite at staying in touch with people. Basically my life revolves around family and I only really see mates once in a blue moon or if we work together. For example, I've got an exceptionally close mate who lives five minutes walk away and I've seen him once in two years. The problem is that he is a single, almost nocturnal alcoholic and we operate in completely different time zones. I've also lost touch with all my close mates from university.

I do see my friends from school, but that's because they all come home to see their parents and we hook up at those times. I've got two close mates from work, one of whom we occasionally go out for a bite to eat with and the other who I have a pint with every Friday after work.

I do regret not seeing people, but family dominates my life.[/quote

Agree.

The older you get, the smaller the pool of your close mates becomes and you don't see them as often as you used to. Family life, work commitments, etc, all take precedence.

If you tried to keep in touch with everyone you have been mates with, on a regular basis, you'd get nothing done!!

I have four close mates, three of whom i see nearly every day. We are as tight as anything.

Ive known one since we were four, one since I was 7 and one since 13.

I know we are all quite young and have no kids so i suppose that is a factor.

I do know though we will this close in 40 years, friendship is the greatest of all the relationships. the greeks and romans thought it and so do i.

ive also had a couple of old school chums call me out of the blue lately wanting to catch up and I just can't be bothered mainly because they weren't much fun when we were friends and it just seems like a chore.

Also I hate that catchup talk, mainly because I haven't done much with my life in traditional terms like buying a house etc ive just been pretty much having fun and not growing up and when I hear about them having some job with a high income and buying a house it depresses me even know im content in my life but the man tells me I should be responsible and work non stop and conform to the norm to be a good person otherwise those people are beter than me.

You should ring in for "Lost Loves" on Steve Wright's Sunday Love Songs, Radio 2. What better weekend than this ? (Valentines n all that).

A guy rang in once looking for the woman with a VW Golf who always used to fill up on the diesel pump no 1 at Shell at 6.30 on a monday on the A471 or soemthing and he said "we used to look at each other and smile". He'd never once spoken to her yet he rang it in as a lost love after she suddenly discovered Tesco petrol was 1p a litre cheaper and went elsewhere. I wonder did they ever find each other though ? now thats a love story

I have four close mates, three of whom i see nearly every day. We are as tight as anything.

Ive known one since we were four, one since I was 7 and one since 13.

I know we are all quite young and have no kids so i suppose that is a factor.

I do know though we will this close in 40 years, friendship is the greatest of all the relationships. the greeks and romans thought it and so do i.

Don't mean this in a patronising way, but how old are you, mate? I had three dead close mates, through school, college and university...one now lives in Oz, one in China and one in London (who I fell out with...we've never been the same since)....we all still keep in touch, but we've all moved on with new lives, wives, jobs, etc.

I do regret not seeing people, but family dominates my life.

ditto.

I rarely see my single mates anymore.They make excuses for coming to my gaff because I'm sure they are terrified of my little one,afraid to face their impending social life evaporating.They see me with a sprog and don't want to face what they see happening to them,so its easier to make excuses and try meet in a pub or game next time. Occasional football game is about it .

Over the years I've lived in different countries so losing touch with good mates is inevitable.The only bonus is when you do suddenly bump into them or get a call out of the blue ...perks me up for ages afterwards

Guest PaddyBerger15
I've this problem by hating everyone I've ever met.

Weird....when I wrote this post out, the word 'remedied' appeared in it...when it posted, it didn't.... or maybe I'm just going crackers.

Don't mean this in a patronising way, but how old are you, mate? I had three dead close mates, through school, college and university...one now lives in Oz, one in China and one in London (who I fell out with...we've never been the same since)....we all still keep in touch, but we've all moved on with new lives, wives, jobs, etc.

25!

It sucks, but it's only happened to a couple Uni mates, I still got friends from nursery and at every change of educational facility and most jobs since. I've kept more then most I reckon. But keeping in touch with so many takes up a lot of my time - most weekends in fact and it's very rewarding. The fact they live miles away is a bonus - you get to visit somewhere new.