You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

I wasn't overly impressed with The Revenant either. Don't get me wrong, it's a good film and it certainly looks beautiful, but I found it difficult to engage with any of the characters.

And as you say, Di Caprio's performance seemed to consist of mainly grunting and grimacing a lot.

I'd probably give it 7/10.

Re Di Caprio, I watched The Departed again last night. Excellent film, with a far better performance from him. 8.5/10.

• Upvote 2

Shane Black is writing the sequel to the original. Not to any of the other movies but the original one. This fills me with a little bit of hope.

Ace. The second film is also superb too though. I can even watch the AVP and Predators movies, weak though they are, simply because I love "expanded universe" concepts.

The Survivalist 7/10. Bleak, looks good and creates tension without any use of music. I assume it was made for relative buttons, but it never seems cheap. I read Mark Kermode's comment about the director being one to watch and I reckon I agree.

I wasn't overly impressed with The Revenant either. Don't get me wrong, it's a good film and it certainly looks beautiful, but I found it difficult to engage with any of the characters.

And as you say, Di Caprio's performance seemed to consist of mainly grunting and grimacing a lot.

I'd probably give it 7/10.

Re Di Caprio, I watched The Departed again last night. Excellent film, with a far better performance from him. 8.5/10.

Hmm, uuurrgh, aargh, muuuh, aaaah. 

Do I get a BAFTA?

I rate Di Caprio as an actor but he seems to live a really vapid lifestyle that makes me question my judgement. 

You think? He's very politically outspoken, particularly about the environment, even speaking at a UN summit. He has also donated millions to environmental causes.

You think? He's very politically outspoken, particularly about the environment, even speaking at a UN summit. He has also donated millions to environmental causes.

Yet, his huge yacht (11th biggest in the world) that he seems to live on, pollutes water with oil and air with particulate matter, sulfure dioxide etc.

Fair play to him for donating millions to the environment as I'm a big believer that everyone should do their bit for the cause and it's obvious he's donated more money than he's damaged the environment but I do see it as contradictory by him.

Both book and film are very good Kevin. I was pleasantly surprised by the film as it's so often a let down going to a film from the book.

The Rock has charisma? Presumably he has charisma in much the same way a lump of wood has charisma? Acting ability aside of course as the lump of wood would destroy him for acting ability.

The Wolf Of Wall Street. 8/10.

Not that it was Scorcese's intent, but a good reminder of the excesses of knobs. I ever meet Belfort I'm going to floor the cunt for one reason, and one reason only - his initial fleecing of small, poor, pink slip investors (probably blowing their meagre savings or pension pots) using shitty no-hope company stock. The cocky, horrible little gobshite.

• Upvote 1

Not that it was Scorcese's intent, but a good reminder of the excesses of knobs. I ever meet Belfort I'm going to floor the cunt for one reason, and one reason only - his initial fleecing of small, poor, pink slip investors (probably blowing their meagre savings or pension pots) using shitty no-hope company stock. The cocky, horrible little gobshite.

Agree with the 8/10 mate, finally got round to seeing it the other day. The whole thing was a bit of a rehash of Goodfellas for me. From the initial introduction to gangsters / stockbroking, the wild and cocky excess in the middle to the (spoiler alert) fall and grassing up his former associates at the end. Also agree the protagonist comes across a first class cunt (much like the remarkable amount of gash on display throughout the film, which is also first class)

I thought it was Scorsese's intent myself.

The Mrs got us tickets for The Rocky Horror Show so I thought I'd better watch it to see what to expect (saw it once years ago but fell asleep after 10 minutes). I understand how it's got a cult following, but after about half an hour it loses its way badly and turns into a seriously bad load of shite. Gotta love Tim Curry's performance though, which is the only reason it gets 3/10.

I thought it was Scorsese's intent myself.

I felt he was being fairly kind to him and the brokers, but maybe that was just me.

RT spot on about the female talent on show . That bit where Margot Robbie opens the bedroom doors naked dropped my jaw.