You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Porky's - First time I'd seen it, got the 1 & 2 boxset off Amazon. I thought it was pretty good. 7/10

Jackie Brown - Going through the DVD collection with the girlfriend on Saturday night and went with this as it's been a few years since I'd last seen it. It's not in the same league as Pulf Fiction but still worth a watch. The soundtrack is well groovy. 7/10

Do The Right Thing 10/10

A work of genius, in my opinion. Fantastically acted, incredible characters, awesome cinematography, great script and a very intelligent film to boot. Has you thinking about it for ages afterwards. I've also had Public Enemy's Fight The Power stuck in my head for days as well now.

A Serious Man

Watched it last night and it was as you would expect from the Cohens: very quirky with lots of very dry humour in it and a fair bit of trying to work out what stuff means. Decent enough watch and I get the feeling I might like it more after a second watch. it reminded me how ace Jefferson Airplane can be though. 78%

Inception, again 10\10 Amazing.... Nothing more to say really.

127 Hours 10\10 As with Inception, this film jumped straight into my top 5 list, one of the best movies I have ever seen, and James Franco is absolutely fantastic. Oscar coming his way?

Megamind 7-8\10

Despicable Me 7\10

Red 7\10

The Losers 6.5\10

Inception, again 10\10 Amazing.... Nothing more to say really.

127 Hours 10\10 As with Inception, this film jumped straight into my top 5 list, one of the best movies I have ever seen, and James Franco is absolutely fantastic. Oscar coming his way?

Megamind 7-8\10

Despicable Me 7\10

Red 7\10

The Losers 6.5\10

Some generous scores there.

Out of Sight

This was on TV the other day. One of the most culturally important films of the last 15 years.

What the? Let me explain. Prior to this George Clooney’s film career had consisted of Batman + Robin and The Peacemaker. He needed a hit or it was back to TV land and Out of Sight saw Clooney close to the suave persona he’s parlayed so well in many films since. Director Steven Soderbergh had done nothing of real note since Sex, Lies & Videotape.

Their success with this film developed into a working partnership that progressed into, amongst others, the similarly themed Oceans 11. Working with Soderbergh and Clooney on that film inspired Brad Pitt to become more than a pretty boy for hire, choosing to develop his on and off screen career.

The success of Clooney, and to a lesser extent cohorts Pitt and Matt Damon, paved the way for many of the politically conscious films put out by Hollywood in the last 10 years.

Therefore without Out of Sight the following films either would not exist, or would have seen the light in very different forms:

Traffic

Ocean’s 11 (plus the crap sequels)

Solaris

Three Kings

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

Goodnight & Good luck

The Good German

Babel

Syriana

The Informant!

Michael Clayton

The Assassination of Jesse James

Kick-Ass

Up in the Air

You could also argue, quite legitimately I feel, that many other films of a political bent would not have seen the light of day were it not for the success of Clooney.

Out of Sight was also the first film that David Holmes wrote / collaborated on the sound track with Soderbergh. Leading to the Ocean’s Films, Buffalo Soldiers (fabulous soundtrack) and many others. Not bad for a hairdresser and dj from Norn Iron.

Finally, Out of Sight was the movie that launched Jennifer Lopez into the I-would-really-really-like-to-have-sex-with-her public stratosphere. It’s a shame she decided she wanted to be famous rather than an actress, as she’s good in this. And it must be said, has never been finer since.

All in all the film is a decent, slightly overstylised, crime caper that you get with Elmore Leonard. This can turn out good or bad depending on the cast and director, this one is a decent one.

7/10

Out of Sight

This was on TV the other day. One of the most culturally important films of the last 15 years.

7/10

Good read, Interesting stuff.

Green Hornet 3D. Some funnyish moments, Seth Rogan was way miscast and the 3D was unnecessary. 5/10

I'd still very much like to kiss Cameron Diaz. Right on the lips.

Home Alone 2 - Lost in New York.

Similar to the first one, but in New York.

4/10

I watched this. I reckon the burglars each sustained about 10 injuries each that would have killed them. He hits them on the head with bricks dropped from the roof of a three or four story building for fucks sake. In real life, they would have caught the kid and kicked the fuck out of him.

Out of Sight

What the? Let me explain. Prior to this George Clooney’s film career had consisted of Batman + Robin and The Peacemaker. He needed a hit or it was back to TV land and Out of Sight saw Clooney close to the suave persona he’s parlayed so well in many films since. Director Steven Soderbergh had done nothing of real note since Sex, Lies & Videotape.

Their success with this film developed into a working partnership that progressed into, amongst others, the similarly themed Oceans 11. Working with Soderbergh and Clooney on that film inspired Brad Pitt to become more than a pretty boy for hire, choosing to develop his on and off screen career.

The success of Clooney, and to a lesser extent cohorts Pitt and Matt Damon, paved the way for many of the politically conscious films put out by Hollywood in the last 10 years.

Therefore without Out of Sight the following films either would not exist, or would have seen the light in very different forms:

Traffic

Ocean’s 11 (plus the crap sequels)

Solaris

Three Kings

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

Goodnight & Good luck

The Good German

Babel

Syriana

The Informant!

Michael Clayton

The Assassination of Jesse James

Kick-Ass

Up in the Air

You could also argue, quite legitimately I feel, that many other films of a political bent would not have seen the light of day were it not for the success of Clooney.

Out of Sight was also the first film that David Holmes wrote / collaborated on the sound track with Soderbergh. Leading to the Ocean’s Films, Buffalo Soldiers (fabulous soundtrack) and many others. Not bad for a hairdresser and dj from Norn Iron.

Finally, Out of Sight was the movie that launched Jennifer Lopez into the I-would-really-really-like-to-have-sex-with-her public stratosphere. It’s a shame she decided she wanted to be famous rather than an actress, as she’s good in this. And it must be said, has never been finer since.

All in all the film is a decent, slightly overstylised, crime caper that you get with Elmore Leonard. This can turn out good or bad depending on the cast and director, this one is a decent one.

7/10

Good stuff, not seen the good german or goodnight and good luck - i like the rest apart from solaris which i found really boring - the original was better!

Actually, Clooney was in From Dusk Till Dawn before Out Of Sight, but yes, Out Of Sight changed his image in terms of movies. I agree that Jennifer Lopez has done anything better before or since that film either, especially after she became "J-Lo". Ain't nobody done a better Karen Sisco than her. Great movie with a fantastic soundtrack.

127 hours surprisingly good 9/10

True Grit class if you like real westerns 8/10

Red garbage 5/10

Expendables fun shite 6/10

The Town good story 7/10

The American could have been better class opening scene 7/10 great body on Italian Actress will upgrade to 8/10

MegaMind 8/10 at risk of getting repped again better than Toy story 3 good for children , class story and brilliant digs at Obamha, Brando and the whole super hero genre

Alice in wonderland not bad 7/10

Going to watch Black Swan tonight hope hard drive does not stick at lesbian scene watched it about 5 times already classy but filthy