You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Manchester City V Liverpool

Rashid

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alonso has to be in there to try and improve our passing and ball retention - I'd go with him and El Jefecito playing deep. Gerrard in front of them, Kewell on the left, Yossi on the right, and El Nino up front. Not convinced thats the best shape but has to be tried.

Why does everyone want to play with one striker? We've not looked too impressive with that formation in recent history, which is probably why we generally play with two these days.

Why does everyone want to play with one striker? We've not looked too impressive with that formation in recent history, which is probably why we generally play with two these days.

I think its a reflection of the quality of the other strikers. I wouldn't mind Dirk playing but means we have to leave out either Alonso or Mascherano and I think we need both (based on Gerrard sulking if he is asked to play on the right).

It's because people think it's essential that Alonso plays from the start and it's the only way to get everyone into the team. I would play either Alonso or Mascherano alongside Gerrard in a 4-4-2, but I'm not sure which of the two would be better for this game. I think I'd probably go with Mascherano because he'll provide better protection against Elano.

Stopping Petrov will be key for us, he ripped Blackburn a new one their last time out, I'd expect Finnan to slot in if Arbeloa is out. Looking forward to the game, should be a cracka.

What he said. Petrov is their main threat with Eranoo out. We'll have our most defensive right sided player on the wing. I wouldnt even be surprised to see Rafa going for 4-2-1-3 using Gerrard as cover for Petrov.

-- - -Gerrard - - - Masch

- - -- - - Alonso - - -

Bennynoon - - Torres - - - Kewell

When I looked at the Christmas fixtures, from Portsmouth onwards, this was the one that I saw and genuinely believed that a point here would be good. I was (and still am) hoping for 12 points from 12 over the Christmas fixtures, but to get 10 from 12, with a point at City wouldn't be too bad.

It'll be damn hard, although Blackburn went there and made a good fist of it. We shouldn't invite them onto us or it'll be a mire of a game. I reckon if we can keep that Petrov quiet, as he seems to pull the strings. we could make things a hell of a lot easier.

I think we can win this one though, it all depends on the mentality of the players on the day. Like Rondeco said, it can be titled as a "must win", although a draw wouldn't be the end of the world considering the home form of City. I'm going for a 2-1 win for us.

Reina

Finnan

Hyypia (if he's fit?)

Carra

Arbeloa

Gerrard

Alonso

Masch

Benayoun

Torres

Kuyt

When I looked at the Christmas fixtures, from Portsmouth onwards, this was the one that I saw and genuinely believed that a point here would be good. I was (and still am) hoping for 12 points from 12 over the Christmas fixtures, but to get 10 from 12, with a point at City wouldn't be too bad.

It'll be damn hard, although Blackburn went there and made a good fist of it. We shouldn't invite them onto us or it'll be a mire of a game. I reckon if we can keep that Petrov quiet, as he seems to pull the strings. we could make things a hell of a lot easier.

I think we can win this one though, it all depends on the mentality of the players on the day. Like Rondeco said, it can be titled as a "must win", although a draw wouldn't be the end of the world considering the home form of City. I'm going for a 2-1 win for us.

Reina

Finnan

Hyypia (if he's fit?)

Carra

Arbeloa

Gerrard

Alonso

Masch

Benayoun

Torres

Kuyt

Lots of sense there - TBH I do not think City are very good but you cannot ignore the fact that their home record is played 10 won 9 drawn 1 so to give the impression that it'll be easy is ridiculous but there again we must not set up too defensively thinking we can't win - we can and hopefully will.

Should play the best team we have available which I think is more or less as above. Pleased no Riise or Sissoko and would not be happy if the CBs were not JC and SH (or DA maybe) but not Hobbs for a game this important - after that there are 7 or 8 who must play and 3 or 4 where alternatives could be equally effective but i could live with the above team certainly. Pity Crouch is banned as I would have had him in if he was available.

I take the comments made throughout this thread about Dirk and Voro and yeah there are issues but neither are bad players IMO - they are established international players who will certainly play a role in our season from now on in. From some comments on here I thought Voro must have been abysmal V Derby but last night I watched the full 90 minutes on LFCTV and I've seen worse - lots of passes to our men and a good work rate, also I agree with him - he was fouled a lot (OK alongside some mispaced passes and being beaten in tackles sometimes too). Problem is he is not scoring or looking like scoring really - a lucky goal or a tap in soon would do him the world of good - hopefully he'll play V Wigan or Luton and that will happen - don't think he should play V City.

Kuyt I think is often not used right by LFC - I want to see him as an out and out striker not some kind of winger or player in there to run around a lot - be great for him to play and score tomorrow in a 0-1 win as again I think his confidence may be dipping a bit. Altho I think Rafa does believe in both of them and so confidence should not be too much of a problem - scoring a few for both of them would help tho!!

Sami's out so it looks as if Hobbs will start.

Reina

Arbeloa

Riise

JC

Hobbs

Benayoun

Stevie

El Jefe

Alonso

Babel

Torres

I know we need to watch Petrov but it works both ways, he doesnt track back, even Andy Grey said the othe night against B'burn, 'he obviously has permission to just attack'.

Attack there left side rather then us worrying about it and it would work.

We can win tomorrow I only hope we go out thinking it and go for it.

Do not really want Babel to start - G Richards is often pointing out and I agree with him that he has hardly had any good games when he has started but often has made a major impact from the bench and that is where I want to see him tomorrow. His role too is a bit of an issue as those saying he should be a striker should be asked 'On what basis?' as whenever he has been given that role he has not looked great but also he is clearly not a conventional winger either. IMO he should have more of a 'free role' as then I think we are more likely to see the best of a lad who is clearly very talented.

As long as Torres starts, I don't really care who the other forward is. I see it as a bit of a 'nothing' shirt at the mo, so anything positive coming out of it is a bonus. Though if Benitez asks Kuyt or Voronin to play deep and on the right, I would hope would at least think of playing an extra midfielder instead, who could do a more effective job of protecting that flank, while allowing Gerrard to push further forward from the centre.

Kuyt will at the very least work hard and create space for Torres, I reckon. Babel's pace could be useful but as others have said, he hasn't looked that great when starting thus far, so I'd go with Dirk. Crouch would be acceptable too, but on current form I really don't want to see Voronin starting.

Kuyt will at the very least work hard and create space for Torres, I reckon. Babel's pace could be useful but as others have said, he hasn't looked that great when starting thus far, so I'd go with Dirk. Crouch would be acceptable too, but on current form I really don't want to see Voronin starting.

Crouch is suspended, sadly.

I would much rather play Riise or Aurelio at left back and Arbeloa in the middle with Carra if Sami is still out.

I like Arbeloa but I'm not confident that he'd do a better job in the middle than Hobbs. He's less of a risk in terms of experience, but I always feel uncomfortable with people playing out of position in defense unless they've done it successfully enough times in the past.

I like Arbeloa but I'm not confident that he'd do a better job in the middle than Hobbs. He's less of a risk in terms of experience, but I always feel uncomfortable with people playing out of position in defense unless they've done it successfully enough times in the past.

I can see your point. But Arbeloa have more experience as a centre back from Spain, than Hobbs have in PL. Also I believe the Man C threat will be the pace of Petrov. If Samaras plays, I can see Hobbs beeing important, but I think City will play with Vassell and Bianchi.