You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Racism in Southern America..

Stouffer

18 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Probably better to just not choose to carry a potentially deadly weapon around then.

You are going into dangerous territory with that attitude Dougie, you're witnessing the result in America. 

I think I'd rather stick to our method of firearms as a last possible resort.

The yanks will monetise and industrialis anything, including racism.

Read a thing a while back that the entire concept of suburbia was invented to sell cars. Essentially that if you worked and lived in a city with decent subways and the likes, you wouldn't need a car.

So the whole concept was created of the county and the suburbs being safe, white picket fences, lemonade, Ned Flanders types, while people who couldn't afford to leave remained and the perception became that inner cities were unsafe.

You hear the notion on the American news all the time, the idea of inner city violence 'encroaching' on the safe white suburbs. 

American police now, for that reason seem to be depicted as manning the ramparts of suburbia and keeping the ghettos pent up and in line.

10 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

You are going into dangerous territory with that attitude Dougie, you're witnessing the result in America. 

I think I'd rather stick to our method of firearms as a last possible resort.

He’d been shot with a taser and it didn’t stop him.  They knew who he was and he’s got form for firearms offences.  He had a knife and was trying to get into his truck.  I think he was taking an awful risk. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Probably better to just not choose to carry a potentially deadly weapon around then.

Brings me back to that time I was minding my own business in a Wu bar and some thug attacked me with a big knife, I didnt have time to phone the police, this is how I dealt with it

6 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

He’d been shot with a taser and it didn’t stop him.  They knew who he was and he’s got form for firearms offences.  He had a knife and was trying to get into his truck.  I think he was taking an awful risk. 

Was he the one the police was called on? They keep repeating he was "trying to deescalate a domestic violence situation" as he just happen to be there. Why were they trying to arrest him? 

4 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Was he the one the police was called on? They keep repeating he was "trying to deescalate a domestic violence situation" as he just happen to be there. Why were they trying to arrest him? 

A woman phoned the police because her boyfriend was there and shouldn’t have been, assuming a DV restraining order.  

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

A woman phoned the police because her boyfriend was there and shouldn’t have been, assuming a DV restraining order.  

Yes, but was he the boyfriend? What was he doing there? Did they come to arrest him? Why were the children in the car?

11 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

*record scratch* yup, that's me with the skateboard. You're probably wondering how I got myself into this sticky situation. 

1598472871370.jpg

Should never have been there, but there is an argument he was acting in self defence.

He got separated from the group he was with, was then chased into a parking lot where he shot a guy who was about to assault him. He then shot that guy with the skate board (who assaulted him), and shot a third who was armed with a pistol.

Why he felt he had to be there in the first place is a good question, but I'm not sure they will be able to pin murder on him.

Just now, SasaS said:

Yes, but was he the boyfriend? What was he doing there? Did they come to arrest him? Why were the children in the car?

At this point it’s worth pointing out I wasn’t there and am googling the answers. Could you do that yourself?  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

The account of him having a knife is disputed at the end of this log, it seems obvious he did not have or certainly did not use a knife in the initial incident. He may or may not have had a knife in his car.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/27/us/jacob-blake-shooting-what-we-know/index.html

6 minutes ago, M_B said:

Should never have been there, but there is an argument he was acting in self defence.

He got separated from the group he was with, was then chased into a parking lot where he shot a guy who was about to assault him. He then shot that guy with the skate board (who assaulted him), and shot a third who was armed with a pistol.

Why he felt he had to be there in the first place is a good question, but I'm not sure they will be able to pin murder on him.

Yeah it's a tricky one because he got wellied with a skateboard which, in the right hands, could be a real weapon. I've seen the video and I think Sk8a Boi has watched too many marvel films and thought he'd be able to use his super human righteousness power to knock the fella out when in reality he delivered a piss poor slap and got shot. 

The obvious thing here is that a 17 year old lad is knocking around with a fucking assault rifle in the first place. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, M_B said:

No idea what the basis for any of this is (edit: not having a go at you over it, sorry if this comes off that way - having a shit few days), there's a lot of speculation and rationalisation going on and I'm growing more and more sceptical of people's ability to piece together events from 2nd and 3rd sources.

Regardless, is "he had a gun so I shot him" a door these gun nuts really want open?

5 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

At this point it’s worth pointing out I wasn’t there and am googling the answers. Could you do that yourself?  

Apologies, you posted like you know more about the story, read or seen a better informed report. 

With these incidents I am always confused by how little is actaully known as opposed to public reaction and also, don't understand the communication strategy of the police. Surely if you immediately have a simple and extremely negative narrative against you, you would try to release as much information as you can as quickly as you can, even if your objective was just to make it seem less straightforward / more complex in the public view. Don't get it at all. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

The account of him having a knife is disputed at the end of this log, it seems obvious he did not have or certainly did not use a knife in the initial incident. He may or may not have had a knife in his car.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/27/us/jacob-blake-shooting-what-we-know/index.html

Or there’s pictures of the knife in his hand, they found it and he’s admitted to having it. 

3 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Apologies, you posted like you know more about the story, read or seen a better informed report. 

With these incidents I am always confused by how little is actaully known as opposed to public reaction and also, don't understand the communication strategy of the police. Surely if you immediately have a simple and extremely negative narrative against you, you would try to release as much information as you can as quickly as you can, even if your objective was just to make it seem less straightforward / more complex in the public view. Don't get it at all. 

Probably because it’s potentially a criminal investigation. 

20 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Probably because it’s potentially a criminal investigation. 

Well, if this is their main concern, not that there would be days of rioting and additional lives lost over this, in an extremely volatile situation, where segments of population are so radicalized that any information or misinformation can set them off, they are truly fucked.
American police kill about a 1000 people a year, a quarter of them are black which means there is a realistic possibility any PD will have to deal with a similar incident in the near or foreseeable future. Every PD should already have a communication strategy in place. Their current approach seems to be hoping things would somehow blow over, or that being extremely reactive, slow and non transparent is the answer. They had days of extremely serious rioting a week ago in Chicago, over what they later said seems to have been a "good shooting".

36 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Well, if this is their main concern, not that there would be days of rioting and additional lives lost over this, in an extremely volatile situation, where segments of population are so radicalized that any information or misinformation can set them off, they are truly fucked.
American police kill about a 1000 people a year, a quarter of them are black which means there is a realistic possibility any PD will have to deal with a similar incident in the near or foreseeable future. Every PD should already have a communication strategy in place. Their current approach seems to be hoping things would somehow blow over, or that being extremely reactive, slow and non transparent is the answer. They had days of extremely serious rioting a week ago in Chicago, over what they later said seems to have been a "good shooting".

I think they do, the strategy is ‘ we can’t release all the details of an ongoing investigation’. The police officer involved has rights too. 

6 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I think they do, the strategy is ‘ we can’t release all the details of an ongoing investigation’. The police officer involved has rights too. 

True, but the details we don't know in this case are not just if he had a knife or not, we don't even know what was the guy doing there, was he the boyfriend who didn't want to leave etc.