You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ever thought about emigrating?

Section_31

15 hours ago, Section_31 said:

My uncle went to Canada and came back after two weeks - two - because he couldn't find a job. 

That's the pioneering stock from whence I come.

One of my best mates took. year out to go travelling, first stop Canada for a few weeks. Met a lovely Canadian girl, stayed there ever since. That was about 14 years ago and he's been back to the UK twice since. Lovely house, loads of lands and he runs a tyre store in the local town. Used to be an Ice Road trucker and worked on a rig in the very north. Used to be one of the most immature lads you'd ever meet, he's now like a fucking lumberjack. 

I think if I had kids I'd seriously think about emigrating. The class system in the UK means you're uniquely fucked here from the day you're born compared to most if not all other first world countries.

The top echelons of the military, the media, the creative industries, and politics are all off limits to you if you're working class, doubly so if you're from the North.

I suspect that's not the case in Oz, US or Canada. If you want to be a fighter pilot in the states you probably stand or fall based on your coordination,  fitness and exam results, not the fact you talk like Stephen Fry.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Have thought about it with MrsD as we're both teachers could easily find employment in other English speaking countries. Sadly, KidD is the entire focus of my mum and dad's lives and taking her away would probably drive them to an early grave 

I am at the other side of this in that I'd love to try another country but not seeing the Grandkids would kill me and the missus. Like your own parents would be devastated.

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

I think if I had kids I'd seriously think about emigrating. The class system in the UK means you're uniquely fucked here from the day you're born compared to most if not all other first world countries.

The top echelons of the military, the media, the creative industries, and politics are all off limits to you if you're working class, doubly so if you're from the North.

I suspect that's not the case in Oz, US or Canada. If you want to be a fighter pilot in the states you probably stand or fall based on your coordination,  fitness and exam results, not the fact you talk like Stephen Fry.

Absolutely spot on. If the Nazis would have occupied the UK their whole PR exercise was to dismantle the class system. A clever ploy as things were even worse back then. Post WW2 the returning soldiers and survivors were threatening mass civil disobedience too and change was absolutely necessary,even for the Tories at that time. Even despite their resistance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/10/2023 at 23:55, CapeRed said:

Are you across the ditch in NZ ?

Sorry mate, I only just saw your question. Yes, we are in New Zealand now, but when we first left England we went to live in Taiwan. We stayed there six years, went back to the UK briefly, then moved to Hong Kong and lived there another eight years. We moved to NZ in 1997. We have no wish to live anywhere but NZ now, but I personally loved living and working in the Far East and still get back there occasionally.