You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Premier League Round Up (Apr 27-28 2024)

image.jpeg

And I thought last week’s round up was a chore. This one just feels utterly pointless now. I;m on the beach with Brighton and West Ham and I'm just mailing it in now until the season finishes. Virtually everything has been decided other than the title, and that hurts too much to even really think about. It’s still too raw after the way we meekly bowed out of the race.

The relegation places are more or less decided. Luton or Burnley still have an outside shot at catching Forest but realistically that’s not happening. As for the Blues, they could go into administration and still be fine even with the nine point hit they’d take. They’d still be above Forest, never mind Luton. So they’re still circling the bowl again despite multiple flushing attempts. I don’t think they’ll ever get relegated so I’m just hoping for them to just go bust. Feels like there’s more chance of that to be honest.

They beat Brentford 1-0 at Goodison. One shot on target, one goal. Must be nice that, takes us about 10 shots on target to get a goal and these fucking bums need only one. Gueye scored the only goal of the game following a scramble, Pickford made some saves at the other end and that was that. Safety confirmed. No pitch invasion this time, feels like they’re getting a bit complacent about it all now, like City winning trophies.

View full article

• dave u pinned this topic

A number of points, mainly relating to refereeing.....

The lack of accountability of PGMOL comes out in the Michael Oliver episode - he ought to be made to state what he thought he saw. Or did he just think that kicking somebody up the arse is now legal?

On the Chelsea disallowed goal, I was surprised that there was such a wide consensus that it was a foul on the Villa CB. It was a bit of a bump - like we see on every free kick and corner. Ben White gets away with his shenanigans because 'the goalie needs to be stronger'. Doesn't this apply to the Villa CB?

Anthony Gordon - just trips himself up surely? Massive cheat. But as you say, it was Holgate, he of the false rascist slur, fuck him and fuck Sheffield for taking him on.

The Kulusevksi one - isn't that exactly the same as Jota's first booking at Spurs earlier this season? They're either both fouls or neither. Consistency, huh?

• Upvote 1

The Villa player can't even see the Chelsea player and he gets nudged under the ball. It's a definite foul, but we've seen other definite fouls where VAR hasn't got involved (the goal Arsenal conceded at Newcastle plus the dozens of clear pens not given) so it's the inconsistency. 

Totally agree that Oliver should be made to explain himself, but then did you hear the VAR audio on one of the pens that Forest didn't get? There was something really weird about it. It didn't sound like a normal, frantic, VAR conversation with the ref and the stuff he was saying did not in any way correlate to what we were seeing. I saw a Forest fan saying he thought it had been recorded afterwards and wasn't the actual audio. I wouldn't go that far but I agree it didn't sound right, mainly because I don't know how anyone can watch the slow motion replay of it and be so absolutely, categorically wrong about what they are seeing. VAR said something like "yeah Oli, two players contesting for the ball, no penalty there" as Ashley Old goes right through the back of the Forest player. 

I think I actually prefer when they don't let us peek behind the curtain as it only makes them look much, much worse.

• Upvote 2

I was watching the Chelsea/Villa game and thought it was a foul as soon as I saw the replay. But then again I also had no idea what VAR was going to do given the massive inconsistencies over the course of the season.

• dave u unpinned this topic