You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Anubis

8 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I don't think we will see Trent as a RB next season.

Imo if Mo stays and the team is going to be effective he moves infield.

Do you play him as the right sided mid in a 433, as part of the double pivot (presumably with Mac Allister, or a defensive 6 and Mac in the 10) or on the right of a 3 in the 4231?

It's a good problem to have I guess but I'm not sure where best to use him and who to partner him with.

(Which is true of lots of our midfielders and why a #6 would solve a lot of problems)

3 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Do you play him as the right sided mid in a 433, as part of the double pivot (presumably with Mac Allister, or a defensive 6 and Mac in the 10) or on the right of a 3 in the 4231?

That's way above my paygrade and would think alot will be down to his performances in any of those spots.

3 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Would make sense for that player to be able to play from the right given the make up of the squad at the moment.

We were linked to Rodrygo in past but that was never going to happen so will they take a chance on someone like Luis Guilherme (incredibly raw but promising), especially is Salah does end up staying for a season (if he doesn't then that makes less sense).

Kubo

13 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

It's a good problem to have I guess but I'm not sure where best to use him and who to partner him with.

(Which is true of lots of our midfielders and why a #6 would solve a lot of problems)

If we have a good pair of fullbacks i think in many home games and a fair few of away games we could quite easily get away with Trent and Mac Allister as the pivot, providing Trent switches on to the workload now he is playing where he wants. If signed Geertruida and played him or Bradley at RB and Robbo/Another at left back 

12 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Slot doesn't strike me as someone who'd play a bunch of centre back profiles in the backline, but neither did Guardiola, so who knows.

He often plays Geertruida as one fullback and has  shifted Hancko out there when needed. 

Think you could see something like this against the non top 8 clubs, you would likely be a bit vunerable at times but having more fullbacks that are defensive, but still having the ability to overlap would cover some of that. 

1951400_Liverpool.jpg

Without the ball Szoboszlai and Mo swap positions and Szoboszlai drops back into the midfield. 

9 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

If we have a good pair of fullbacks i think in many home games and a fair few of away games we could quite easily get away with Trent and Mac Allister as the pivot, providing Trent switches on to the workload now he is playing where he wants. If signed Geertruida and played him or Bradley at RB and Robbo/Another at left back 

Absolutely in lots of games him and Mac Allister would be fine, but there's also squad composition issues and what we do in games where we aren't at home or against better opposition.

Does Trent the full time midfielder prevent us from signing a #6, especially if you then buy a right back, you might be able to get away with Geertuida as a right backTrent as the mid and then Geertuida becoming a part time DM when you need more solidity in the middle but is that optimum use of either player because who misses out and who plays right back.

Seems like there's lots of moving parts with no clear solution to Trent being a full time mid even if it might be the best solution for him.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Out where - my 3 minute research shows this lad in the middle.

He has played at LB at times since joining. 13 at LB and 38 as CB. 

Hanko is 27 in december so i doubt he is a target for us anyway

2 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Absolutely in lots of games him and Mac Allister would be fine, but there's also squad composition issues and what we do in games where we aren't at home or against better opposition.

Does Trent the full time midfielder prevent us from signing a #6, especially if you then buy a right back, you might be able to get away with Geertuida as a right backTrent as the mid and then Geertuida becoming a part time DM when you need more solidity in the middle but is that optimum use of either player because who misses out and who plays right back.

Seems like there's lots of moving parts with no clear solution to Trent being a full time mid even if it might be the best solution for him.

If you are trying to be more solid for away games, if you want to play Trent i think he could also do a job on the right side of the attacking 3. Alot imo depends on Trents attitude which seems to have been a issue with him defensively(at least imo), maybe a move to midfield will get him doing the dirty work/maybe not

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Ah, I just had a look at this season  - he looks to have played there once - they got another fella at LB methinks.

Yeah its not his first position, just saying that it looks like he will play a CB wide if needed and if they can. Im not really suggesting it as a long term thing. Ideally you get a younger version of Robertson. To come in. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

If you are trying to be more solid for away games, if you want to play Trent i think he could also do a job on the right side of the attacking 3. Alot imo depends on Trents attitude which seems to have been a issue with him defensively(at least imo), maybe a move to midfield will get him doing the dirty work/maybe not

If you're committing to him being a midfielder and buy a right back you're unlikely to be buying another midfielder so then you're committing to Endo against better teams/away from home.

It all seems a bit imperfect and built to satisfy Trent rather than what's best for the team (even though you probably should be building around your most creative player).

At every turn the answer seems to be buy a water carrier (a more talented water carrier) as it gives you more options to play around with the creative players in midfield when you have that protection but I'm becoming more and more convinced we might not.

48 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

The way to play Trent is making him the free man from defence. Pretty sure Slot will be doing that with 2 no.6's.

43 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Why do you like this guy? Looks nebbish.

I disagree. Whenever I've seen Kubo (6 or 7 times maybe) his been brave and dogged, quick, skillful and creative, not afraid to use both feet and he's got a lot of room to grow.

Think he'd be a really shrewd signing.