You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Anubis

On 23/03/2024 at 15:53, Barrington Womble said:

Yeah, agreed. You don't want to be paying big fees on players over 25/26 really. 

I disagree.  I don't think we should handcuff ourselves to a certain policy.  Granted I don't think we should make a habit of it but if a 27/28/29 year old becames available who would be a significant upgrade on a current 1st team player we should absolutely consider it. 

Sometimes you have to accept a financial hit in order to compete at the highest level and win trophies.

8 hours ago, George Costanza said:

I disagree.  I don't think we should handcuff ourselves to a certain policy.  Granted I don't think we should make a habit of it but if a 27/28/29 year old becames available who would be a significant upgrade on a current 1st team player we should absolutely consider it. 

Sometimes you have to accept a financial hit in order to compete at the highest level and win trophies.

If the player is world class, maybe there's an argument. I completely agree there should always be a path get out of any policy. But I think the players in that world class range are few and far between. And if we can afford them (I include wages and not just fees), it'll be because there's a problem, like with thiago. The types of signings Man United have made over the years like casermiro, varane and a few others, they're very highly regarded footballers when they joined, they've even played when fit and been better than anything they have, but they're a millstone around their necks. And at the end of the deals, fees and wages just all gone.

If there's a player we'd break the bank for at the moment, it should be Wirtz. Can't think of many others, let alone in that age range.

Mbappe obviously, but that was never happening.

The idea of signing a Thiago did and still does make sense. When we field a midfield of Endo, Jones and MacAllister it doesn't matter at 3pm on a Saturday what each of them cost, the same output is required from all 3.

Signing someone like Bruno Guimaraes* or Paqueta* for example would cost us £100m we will never see again but leaves us with a midfield with an average cost of about £30m* and average age of about 25.

* ignoring Bruno's stupid face, Paquetas lifelong ban and £30m is just a guess.

6 hours ago, Pidge said:

If there's a player we'd break the bank for at the moment, it should be Wirtz. Can't think of many others, let alone in that age range.

Mbappe obviously, but that was never happening.

Will depend what the tactics are.

Under Klopp at Liverpool, you may not really need to spend 100m on a player like him as the biggest part of the attacking game is getting it early to the forwards and to attack quickly when we win the ball high. 

But yeah eye test, technically he looks very good.

6 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Plus, unlike Elliott, Bajčetić, Bradley, Doak and others, he would have already done the obligatory young player's season ending injury before coming to us.

What about Musiala?

Trent is being linked to Real Madrid which I find a bit fanciful. He's not going anywhere.

Salah is almost certainly off in the summer. If it happens, I can live with it since I had been expecting him to head to the Saudi league at some point, and with Klopp leaving this would be a natural time for Mo to leave too.

VVD is the one I worry about. He has one year left on his contract and I can see him moving on for one last hurrah somewhere else. If Real Madrid come sniffing around, I think he'll want to go.

57 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Trent is being linked to Real Madrid which I find a bit fanciful. He's not going anywhere.

Salah is almost certainly off in the summer. If it happens, I can live with it since I had been expecting him to head to the Saudi league at some point, and with Klopp leaving this would be a natural time for Mo to leave too.

VVD is the one I worry about. He has one year left on his contract and I can see him moving on for one last hurrah somewhere else. If Real Madrid come sniffing around, I think he'll want to go.

I think we'll lose all 3 of them, Trent is the one I'm least worried about.

1 hour ago, Baltar said:

Why is it fanciful? He can sign a contract  on a bosman in 9 months. 

I could easily see him going.

If Trent really wants to play as a midfielder then this is probably his moment to push on that, either here or elsewhere. 

If a new manager doesn't fancy that, with Bradley coming through, the parting could be quite smooth and amicable.

58 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I could easily see him going.

If Trent really wants to play as a midfielder then this is probably his moment to push on that, either here or elsewhere. 

If a new manager doesn't fancy that, with Bradley coming through, the parting could be quite smooth and amicable.

He isn't getting to play midfield in Madrid with Tchouaméni,Camavinga and Valverde playing in deeper positions. He will be one of the fullbacks with Davis when they sign him

If he starts tonight, I’ll be interested to see Openda for Belgium.

We’ve been linked with him, just turned 24, can play through the centre or from the left, scored 19 in 26 Bundesliga games this season, scored 2 at the Emptyhad in November, incredibly fast & has an £80m release clause in the summer of 2025. 

4 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

If he starts tonight, I’ll be interested to see Openda for Belgium.

We’ve been linked with him, just turned 24, can play through the centre or from the left, scored 19 in 26 Bundesliga games this season, scored 2 at the Emptyhad in November, incredibly fast & has an £80m release clause in the summer of 2025. 

He was one of the main reasons Leipzig didn't batter Madrid, missed chance after chance in both legs

7 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

He was one of the main reasons Leipzig didn't batter Madrid, missed chance after chance in both legs

Openda is on the bench. That obese turd Lukaku is starting.

54 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

He isn't getting to play midfield in Madrid with Tchouaméni,Camavinga and Valverde playing in deeper positions. He will be one of the fullbacks with Davis when they sign him

Why would they sign the right back they obviously targeted as our weakness in the Champions League final? 

Just now, Josef Svejk said:

Why would they sign the right back they obviously targeted as our weakness in the Champions League final? 

Probably cause they hardly play defensively in most games and if it doesn't work they'd sell him for a profit. 

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

Probably cause they hardly play defensively in most games and if it doesn't work they'd sell him for a profit. 

Comfortably the best defensive record in La Liga. So, eh, I'm calling bollocks on that explanation. 

1 minute ago, Josef Svejk said:

Comfortably the best defensive record in La Liga. So, eh, I'm calling bollocks on that explanation. 

Because they are by far the best team in the league and have 60% possession on avg. They played a winger Vasquez at RB for loads of games. If Trent joins them he will end up playing as a fullback. If he was the great midfielder people in the press etc keep saying he is you'd think Klopp would have moved him there, especially when we needed a overhaul last summer.