You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Anubis

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It's still not a headache to any manager with talent. Trent is one of the best passers of a football in the league. If a manager can't work out how to use that, I would suggest we haven't got the right manager. The last thing we need after the years we've had klopp is being in a manager who's afraid of talent. 

He's got great vision for long range passes, and strikes the ball beautifully. But, do you  think his short range, metronome 6 type passing is up there with the best?

31 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It's still not a headache to any manager with talent. Trent is one of the best passers of a football in the league. If a manager can't work out how to use that, I would suggest we haven't got the right manager. The last thing we need after the years we've had klopp is being in a manager who's afraid of talent. 

That is one way of looking at it.

Another would be, if you are a top incoming manager with a bit of your own idea of how to play - do you want to walk into a situation where the local lad, one of the top earners and co captains is unsettled in his proven position and unproven elsewhere but you are going to have to do something to get him involved?

Can see how that might not be for the best.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Another would be, if you are a top incoming manager with a bit of your own idea of how to play - do you want to walk into a situation where the local lad, one of the top earners and co captains is unsettled in his proven position and unproven elsewhere but you are going to have to do something to get him involved?

I honestly find it odd the disdain you have for Trent. I'm quite confident when managers are looking at the job they are thinking about how to use Trent in their lineup.

6 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

He's got great vision for long range passes, and strikes the ball beautifully. But, do you  think his short range, metronome 6 type passing is up there with the best?

I think his short range passing is better than any number 6 in the league. He can be careless though. That's what he needs to improve on in my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I think that's exactly how someone like Sean dyche might look at it. I think an absolutely top tier manager would look at the skillset in Trent and look forward to making him into a balon d'or winner. In exactly the same way an absolutely top drawer manager would see arriving at Liverpool with this squad after klopp to be an opportunity. A lesser manager will see the dangers in following an iconic manager. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

I honestly find it odd the disdain you have for Trent. I'm quite confident when managers are looking at the job they are thinking about how to use Trent in their lineup.

I have zero disdain for Trent - I am one of his supporters and one who has recognized that his incredible numbers - and performances - will never be the same in any other role.

That said there are many who are not sold on him as a midfielder and Klopp has shown what role he would use him in.

9 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

A lesser manager will see the dangers in following an iconic manager. 

Everyone can see the dangers of following an iconic manager - we will also see where Trent ends up.

Certainly they will have a bit to do with each other.

And IT'S LIVE!

14 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

There's one person on this forum who has disdain for him.

The reality with Trent is just that you have a player who Klopp favoured and got great things out of because Trent is a tremendous passer over distances and ultimately what Klopp wanted to do was attack quickly and be explosive, so the match was perfect. And it was perfect despite the legitimate questions over his position and sometimes his lacking of application and intensity defensively.

It's just possible that other managers won't see him the same way, that's all.

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Everyone can see the dangers of following an iconic manager - we will also see where Trent ends up.

Certainly they will have a bit to do with each other.

And IT'S LIVE!

Imo, there's absolutely every chance Trent won't remain a Liverpool player. But I think that'll be more to do if he sees his future elsewhere or the club won't pay him what he believes he's worth, than it being because the new manager would see having a local player who's won it all and now transitioning into a new position as a headache. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

sell our best assets

I don't think Trent would be for sale per se.

Certainly there is a scenario where a bid could come in from a certain team that he may consider.

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think that'll be more to do if he sees his future elsewhere or the club won't pay him what he believes he's worth

agree

• Upvote 1

Just now, Lee909 said:

Not watched him, heard he was getting good reviews at Roma

Every time I've seen him play he looks like someone who's won a raffle to play for Roma. 

Did score one absolute screamer though.

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

We’re gonna be shite again the minute Jurgen walks out the door, aren’t we?

Well certainly other fans of other clubs are hoping that happens,I don't know what to think, only that there is not a great pool of good managers about everyone will be a gamble 

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

We’re gonna be shite again the minute Jurgen walks out the door, aren’t we?

Shite in comparison probably, but most likely bang average overall.

We might win the odd cup but won't be consistently chasing like we have done.

We'll still be luckier than most.

26 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

Makes perfect sense selling Mo when he's still at the top of his game banging in goals consistently and to replace him with some random. 

Alternatively, if he won’t sign a new contact, we can loose a fee for a >£100m and then complain about that instead.