You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our next manager, your choice, the poll.

Code

Who do you want as our next manager? The poll.  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as our new manager

• Xabi Alonso
    • Didier Deschamps
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Pep Guardiola
    • Pep Lijnders
    • Steven Gerrard
    • Luis Enrique
    • Michel Sánchez
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Carlo Ancelotti
    • Other

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 31/05/24 at 13:10

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

I do. 

If he doesn't want to come because he wants to do another year before a top job, he's not ready. 

If he doesn't want to come because he thinks Bayern is the more interesting job, it'll be because he doesn't much fancy his chances of success here for whatever reason, but fighting the cheats is probably one. Well we need a manager who like klopp thinks we can challenge despite the cheats. 

If he's just waiting for real Madrid, well he wants real Madrid and all we will ever get is destabilising noise from outside and he'll fuck off after a year or two anyway. 

Whoever we hire has to be someone who sees this job as something he's desperate to do. If that isn't the case for Alonso, he's not our man. 

That's a whole lot of you saying what he would be thinking.

You sound like the fella at the bar at 2 am.

Anyone being honest with themselves realise that is a bunch of cack - if he chooses to go somewhere else over us it will be devastating.

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Anyone being honest with themselves realise that is a bunch of cack - if he chooses to go somewhere else over us it will be devastating.

I take I’d you’re not an Owen Coyle fan so?

55 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

To me, there's still a bunch of good candidates.

Alonso, Inzaghi, Amorim and De Zerbi are all quality choices for a number of reasons. I don't think there is a reason to panic over the Alonso love in from everywhere.

This is a forum where people panic when we aren’t 2-0 up after fifteen minutes.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Devastating? Pack it in. Of course it won't.

I understand why people want Alonso, I would like him to come here. But at the end of the day he's been managing 2 minutes. There will be other managers out there. If FSG can pick them is a different matter.

Devastating is klopp leaving. If we miss out on Alonso, it's no more than a distraction. It's the same type of hyperbole people had when we didn't sign havertz, because he was supposedly a once in a generation talent. 

1 hour ago, joe_fishfish said:

I think Inzaghi and Amorim would take quite a bit of time to adapt to the Premier League. Inzaghi especially, he's even worse than Arteta for touchline antics, he'd be universally hated by November. That stuff does matter to players. (And to refs.)

De Zerbi would be my pick and he'd be miles worse than Xabi imo.

Would Inzaghi have to adapt anymore than De Zerbi had to when he came to Brighton? 

I think if you have the right stuff, and he absolutely looks like he does, it isn't much of an issue. Same for Amorim.

I think those two are darkhorses anyway, but based on the resumes they are building, they should be in the discussion no matter what.

De Zerbi, I will always be thinking the what if he had better players angle, so I wouldn't let go of that one either.

• Upvote 1

It's depressing thinking of the alternatives to Alonso we could go for. The comedown from Klopp - whoever we get - is absolutely huge. Alonso would at least bring a feel good factor even if he ends up being a flop. Every other candidate would get nothing but apathy from the get go. This summer is going to be grim unless we secure Alonso for next season.

• Upvote 1

Obviously I don't "know" Alonso. 

But he doesn't strike me as someone that would jump from one club to tit club he just dethroned. If you know what i mean. 

I do wonder now, literally just thinking now. If his family are in Germany now, as in kids in school etc... Then maybe all that uprooting won't go down well with the missus..... 

You know what THEY'RE like 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

If he is offered this job and chooses another one it will be devastating.

I just don't see it like that at all. And he might not choose another, because he might choose to stay at Leverkusen and wait for Madrid. 

And as for us being an attractive proposition. Are Munich or Madrid not? And has he not played for both? His family might prefer Germany or Spain to live. If he was to choose Chelsea or man united or something after we offered him the job, that would be devastating. But I don't see the extreme emotion if he chooses another super club who he previously played for. 

19 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

So has Roberto Di Matteo. I think Tuchel is shit and totally wrong for us.

Im just saying it is ridiculous to suggest wanting a championship manager over him. Im surprised you even know who

he is! 

There's an added disincentive to Alonso going to Bayern: if he repeated his (likely) feat from this year and wins the league, it's not even a 'par' for him, it would be the same achievement yet with far less kudos attached to it. In terms of the German league, he's likely going to gain the holy grail this season: dethroning Bayern by winning the league with another club (and I really can't stress enough how mental it would be for Leverkusen of all clubs to win it; they make our 30 year wait look like a queue in the fucking supermarket). He'd be judged at Bayern entirely on the European Cup (a competition he's never managed in) and a load of other intangibles that are set and benchmarked by their legions of ex-players in the hierarchy and dotted throughout football at large.

One thing he's shown a real knack for so far is managing his career and I think, genuinely, that he'd look at Bayern and see it as being a job where ultimately you're on a countdown to failure, because almost none of the competitions they're involved in year to year mean anything to the fans or the hierarchy. He spent enough time here to know it'd be different at LFC.

He might stay at Leverkusen another year, that would be my concern given his circumspect approach to managing his career - but if he has genuine aspirations of managing here then he'd probably realise he might never get a better chance.

16 minutes ago, Code said:

After 211 votes so far, 189 members have done the right thing and voted for Alonso.

The other 22 misfits have voted for the following. 

IMG_0079.jpeg

IMG_0080.jpeg

IMG_0081.jpeg

IMG_0082.jpeg

IMG_0083.jpeg

IMG_0084.jpeg

IMG_0085.jpeg

I would like Xabi but I am not convinced FSG will get him. I still have serious worries about FSG after Klopp given their record before him.

• Upvote 1

I’m still all in on Alonso but the noises around him going to Bayern are worrying. As stated above, it’s a big job but he’d be up for the boot if he lost a few games. I don’t see him getting the time and sheer, unadulterated love that he’d get if he became our next manager. 

If not Alonso, it’s not that appealing a choice. De Zerbi and Tuchel can go swivel. Some journo suggested Roger Schmidt the other day and said he was “Klopp-lite.” Nah. Not for me. 

If not Xabi, I’d like us to be looking at the likes of Nagelsmann. Or, lately, the likes of Inzaghi or a wildcard like Thiago Motta have increased in appeal to me. The latter seems to be doing wonders with Bologna.