You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Toulouse (A) - EL Grp E, Thurs 9th Nov 2023 (5:45pm)

Trumo

Just now, ZonkoVille77 said:

MacAllister should be bossing the midfield against teams like that. But he isn't. That tells us how good he is. Also looks goosed after 10 mins of each game he plays.

It might just be his face, but when I first saw him for us I thought he looked scared. He seemed to be playing into form. Couple of weeks ago but he’s back to being largely ineffective. 

Cracks are starting to show now.

New players look goosed and the squad is starting to look thin after a few knocks. 

The attitude is completely off too. That’s why I didn’t want us in the europa, too much shit to play, too much chopping and changing week to week and we don’t have the squad. Someone said earlier we have loads in midfield, but we are missing a proper 6, he doesn’t fancy endo, Trent’s an experiment, Mac Allister has lost his confidence playing out of position and jones is always injured.

• Upvote 1

Just now, manwiththestick said:

Of the players that played more than 15 minutes I think only Harvey can go off the pitch knowing he gave it ago.

Salah was almost invisible, you want more presence from him in that second half, very poor. 

Klopp has changed almost everything except Mo’s position, it might be good to play a left footer on the left wing and right footer on… the right. Just for a change as we’re  having little joy from either side at the moment. Trent’s position is still a conundrum too.

Hard to disagree with the result, given we were so shit and they were much more up for it.

The contentious VAR decision gives yet more ammunition for those who think it’s a waste of time and a joy destroyer, and I have to say that, after thinking it was a good thing, I’m now starting to doubt its effectiveness, but only because there’s no consistency anywhere from those who operate it.

We should still win the group, and go through easily, but whether we’re able to win this thing will depend on us not repeating performances like tonights and it’s also a bit concerning that, especially in the last two games, we’ve looked lethargic and unable to dictate the pace of play, we don’t look like the mentality monsters we were and we really need to be somewhere back there to threaten City, and some of the others, if we want to be challenging for trophies and a high finish in the league .

It’ll be very interesting to see what we produce against Brentford as a precursor to playing City.

1 minute ago, Funkasy said:

IFAB For example, last season, a goal would be disallowed if the creator or scorer was adjudged to have handled the ball, whether intentional or not. Now, these rules apply exclusively to the scorer.

And yet there's this strange, almost karmic attitude of a below-par performance being deserving of dog shit decisions, instantly ignoring the many good performances which were also impacted by dog shit decisions. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, M_B said:

It was handball.

But fuck we weren't great, learn from it and move on.

It's debatable if it was. But even if it was handball, it occurred in a different phase of play.

And more crucially, the rule has been changed to ensure such goals are only disallowed if the direct scorer handled it before putting it in the net. Disallowing it was wrong on two levels.

17 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

We deserved the draw because despite being absolutely shit we scored a perfectly good third goal to equalise and get the draw.

The officials again making the headlines because they don't appear to know or care about the rules. 

We did not deserve anything. We met one of the bottom teams in France and they were clearly better than us.

The two games we've lost this season have basically been because of major fuck ups from the officiating team. At some point, I truly hope it "evens out" as many people usually claim.

We are definitely due an outrageous VAR decision winning us a game, preferably against City at the Etihad.

I wish we set up more defensively as a unit, deeper. We have these players with brilliant ability to spot passes and these forwards who are unbelievable running at goal and what do we do, totally condense the final third playing slow passes hoping to find a way through, meanwhile the congestion means the opposition players barely have to move a yard to block passes. 

Right that's my  match thread knee jerk done. 

16 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Of the players that played more than 15 minutes I think only Harvey can go off the pitch knowing he gave it ago.

Salah was almost invisible, you want more presence from him in that second half, very poor. 

Yet he still looks a bit shit. I am not really bothered about losing but more lack of application. It seems to endorse the fact that Klopp doesn't trust certain players for big games too. Kelleher just doesnt look arsed at all when he plays either nowadays. 

Only watched the second half. Based on that it was a shit performance and we got exactly what we deserved from it.

Flashback from last season, when the midfield doesnt work, the pressing doesnt work we’re again very open and very soft, the result being any half decent team of professional footballers can hurt us on the break. 

Elliott our best player from what I saw, which wasn’t a massive achievement.