You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Toulouse (A) - EL Grp E, Thurs 9th Nov 2023 (5:45pm)

Trumo

2 hours ago, Arnaud said:

I also believe our third goal should have stood but it’s not shared by every one and their first disallowed goal was fine , there was no foul on Matip.

we were so bad against one of the worst team in France right now, it’s really worrying.

Tsimikas, some were saying he was so much better than Robbo, is not reliable as Endo. 

And we need a proper right back please !

You don’t think it was a foul on Matip? Are you Paul Tierney? 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Arnaud said:

I also believe our third goal should have stood but it’s not shared by every one and their first disallowed goal was fine , there was no foul on Matip.

we were so bad against one of the worst team in France right now, it’s really worrying.

Tsimikas, some were saying he was so much better than Robbo, is not reliable as Endo. 

And we need a proper right back please !

The Toulouse striker may well have been offside fotr the diallowed goal but he definitely clipped Matip's heel which caused him to fall over. Jota was booked for this v Spurs.  

I agree with the rest. Hopefully there is a bit of energy about us on Sunday. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Trumo said:

Reading thread titles not your thing then.

Creating winning thread titles not your thing then?

13 hours ago, Supremolad said:

The two games we've lost this season have basically been because of major fuck ups from the officiating team. At some point, I truly hope it "evens out" as many people usually claim.

We are definitely due an outrageous VAR decision winning us a game, preferably against City at the Etihad.

You think a VAR decision by someone on the Payroll of the Saudi's playing Oil money is going to give us a decision that will win us the game?

What are you smoking over there as I need it.....

12 hours ago, Turkish Delight said:

Kostas isn't good enough and we effectively have no senior left back capable of consistently playing at the top level for the next couple of months. It genuinely could torpedo the season.

I'm pretty exasperated by the use of him more than by him himself. He has different strengths and weaknesses to Robbo, and definitely more weaknesses than Robbo has, but when he HAS to play several games in a row because of injury, it's not the time to start coaching him to play differently - THAT time was in the past, working hard on tactics via occasional appearances against the right opposition, but we haven't done that, we've tended just to bung him on for the odd 20 minutes. So now, if you want him to play at his best, tell him to play his 'normal' way.

It's pretty clear he's come into the side with way too much packed into his admittedly small brain. He's hesitant about bombing forward, even though in the past that's been one of his good things, and so he goes and then lays it back and then isn't sure where he's meant to go. And his awful brain farts in our half are also probably down to him trying to play in a different way. I'd rather him play with maximum focus and self-belief rather than trying badly to play a different way. That's just not what you need when the back-up is obliged to have a run in the side. And Chambers won't be any more self-assured because he doesn't even have the experience. It's all really frustrating because, if you want back-up players to slot neatly into the team, they need more time inside the team learning how to do it. 

For me Robertson and Tsimikas are both at their best when they can just be wingers in possession, bomb up the flank and stick crosses in. That isn’t really the job of the left back in our system any more though. Robertson’s a smarter player than Tsimikas so hasn’t suffered as much from the change, but I don’t think either are a great fit there now. 

Mind you neither is Joe Gomez. 

13 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

How about that one of them was a top Premier League player and won the World Cup? And that Klopp will actually play him in many games.

Ok, ill amend to:

"I've seen nothing from Mac so far in a liverpool shirt to suggest we should have paid more for him than Endo, which is worrying."

He's been bang average or worse so far.

We didnt take the game seriously enough and ultimately paid the price for being so casual. They were shit and their 18 year old goalie especially. Once again didnt test him and played overly long,slow build ups and had too many touches around the box without shooting or troubling their keeper. Nunez made a difference for nuisance value and Jota should have been on sooner,in hindsight. Its also good to get a reality check on Quansah and start looking for a back up left back as soon as we can. Not replacing Tsimikas was a mistake and I think Gomez might play at LB until Robbo is fit. Brentford will now be much tougher than it should have been.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

I'm pretty exasperated by the use of him more than by him himself. He has different strengths and weaknesses to Robbo, and definitely more weaknesses than Robbo has, but when he HAS to play several games in a row because of injury, it's not the time to start coaching him to play differently - THAT time was in the past, working hard on tactics via occasional appearances against the right opposition, but we haven't done that, we've tended just to bung him on for the odd 20 minutes. So now, if you want him to play at his best, tell him to play his 'normal' way.

It's pretty clear he's come into the side with way too much packed into his admittedly small brain. He's hesitant about bombing forward, even though in the past that's been one of his good things, and so he goes and then lays it back and then isn't sure where he's meant to go. And his awful brain farts in our half are also probably down to him trying to play in a different way. I'd rather him play with maximum focus and self-belief rather than trying badly to play a different way. That's just not what you need when the back-up is obliged to have a run in the side. And Chambers won't be any more self-assured because he doesn't even have the experience. It's all really frustrating because, if you want back-up players to slot neatly into the team, they need more time inside the team learning how to do it. 

I don't like how we're asking him to play too and agree with you on that.

In the past I've had a view on him as a player that's ok going forward but very limited defensively and this system just exposes his limitations.

I hate how we're set up this season though and think it will catch up on us. Brentford on Sunday is now huge as a poor result there could see our league placing go south quickly with City coming up after it.

We barely created a chance in the 1-0 win over them last season playing this way so I'm expecting another tight game.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

We didnt take the game seriously enough and ultimately paid the price for being so casual. They were shit and their 18 year old goalie especially. Once again didnt test him and played overly long,slow build ups and had too many touches around the box without shooting or troubling their keeper. Nunez made a difference for nuisance value and Jota should have been on sooner,in hindsight. Its also good to get a reality check on Quansah and start looking for a back up left back as soon as we can. Not replacing Tsimikas was a mistake and I think Gomez might play at LB until Robbo is fit. Brentford will now be much tougher than it should have been.

Im not Knee Jerking over Quansah over one bad game; the same way we shouldnt be knee jerking saying his VVD replacement after 4 good games. 

Let the lad just learn his trade and that he will he. 

He will be alright. 

I hope.