You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Project Dublin

3 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

I once got hit smack in the face by a cheeseburger in Dublin, as I made my way peacefully down a busy street in broad daylight.

My assailant was never even identified, let alone punished for his/her crime. I can only assume they are still at large.

I’ve been boycotting the place ever since. 

I urge all who travel there, to proceed with caution. 

Yeah, our short-lived Irish Tourist Board promotion of free food for tourists wasn't thought well enough at all.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

In terms of travel and accommodation it'll probably be the worst thing ever. When I first heard it was there, my reaction was it'd be a good consolation prize if we didn't make the CL. But now I think about it, I think it'll be fucking mental and not in a good way. 

Fair points. Pretty big operation and hard to know how many cities could handle the numbers we will bring to a major European final. Dublin isn't a major city so there will be issues you would imagine in terms of them handling those numbers. Imagine if say the Mancs dropped down to it from the Champions League. It would be a bloodfest.

Having said that, in terms of people, Dublin is as close to Liverpool as you're going to get. There will be some atmosphere around the city. I wasn't in Paris, but lads I know told me all about the local scum and what they did to some of our most vulnerable fans. 

Dublin is a tough city to be fair from what I remember of it, but the people were really welcoming. My wife and I were staying up near Mountjoy Prison the last time I was there about 20 years ago and we ended up in a pub where there was a party for a lad getting out of prison. Just went in for one or two quiet ones but they heard our accents and wouldn't let us buy a pint for the rest of the time we were in there. Mostly Liverpool fans although the mad bastard that got out was a United fan. Basically, their mad lads are like our mad lads, rather than the scum in Saint Denis.

1 hour ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Fair points. Pretty big operation and hard to know how many cities could handle the numbers we will bring to a major European final. Dublin isn't a major city so there will be issues you would imagine in terms of them handling those numbers. Imagine if say the Mancs dropped down to it from the Champions League. It would be a bloodfest.

Having said that, in terms of people, Dublin is as close to Liverpool as you're going to get. There will be some atmosphere around the city. I wasn't in Paris, but lads I know told me all about the local scum and what they did to some of our most vulnerable fans. 

Dublin is a tough city to be fair from what I remember of it, but the people were really welcoming. My wife and I were staying up near Mountjoy Prison the last time I was there about 20 years ago and we ended up in a pub where there was a party for a lad getting out of prison. Just went in for one or two quiet ones but they heard our accents and wouldn't let us buy a pint for the rest of the time we were in there. Mostly Liverpool fans although the mad bastard that got out was a United fan. Basically, their mad lads are like our mad lads, rather than the scum in Saint Denis.

I don't argue it isn't a great city, I've never had a bad time in Dublin and been loads of times, although it's maybe 10 years since I last went. But Paris will be fuck all in terms of numbers to a European final in Dublin. As I said earlier, my first reaction was positive until I thought about it. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't argue it isn't a great city, I've never had a bad time in Dublin and been loads of times, although it's maybe 10 years since I last went. But Paris will be fuck all in terms of numbers to a European final in Dublin. As I said earlier, my first reaction was positive until I thought about it. 

Yeah would be chaos.

Everyone over there supports us or Man Utd or Celtic - so the starting numbers so to speak would be enormous - then of course it is so easy to get to that the travelling numbers would be at unseen levels.

Dublin is of course not a big city and the infrastructure isn't all that really - Lansdowne Road is not a big stadium (smaller than Anfield) so tickets will be at a premium (although even in huge stadiums the allocations are shite of course).

It is an expensive city too and they would of course be hiking prices for everything even more - all in all as good as it appears on paper, my view is it would be one to swerve - would just be chaos.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Last time I went to Dublin I was taking Carly and I got a cheap flight and what I thought was a cracking deal on a hotel. 

Turned out we were bang in the centre of the red light district in Dublin. 

I am now looking for my booking email to go again. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Agree with that. 

I wonder would a lot of people stay outside Dublin. It's a small country. You could have a brilliant few days in Belfast, Galway or Cork and get the train up to Dublin for the game.

The west of Ireland is stunning. Would think about taking the car over.

12 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

I once got hit smack in the face by a cheeseburger in Dublin, as I made my way peacefully down a busy street in broad daylight.

My assailant was never even identified, let alone punished for his/her crime. I can only assume they are still at large.

I’ve been boycotting the place ever since. 

I urge all who travel there, to proceed with caution. 

Made my day, this. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Agree with that. 

I wonder would a lot of people stay outside Dublin. It's a small country. You could have a brilliant few days in Belfast, Galway or Cork and get the train up to Dublin for the game.

That’s exactly what I was going to suggest. Within 60 mins by train gets you a ton of towns to stay with cheaper accommodation. Or just don’t get a hotel on night of the final and see it through until a morning flight back home.  

9 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Agree with that. 

I think there was a lot of that type of carry on for the uefa final we were in in Basel. We came in and out to Zurich (well we had a full trains, planes and automobiles trip via Brussels, Berlin and Barcelona getting there and back), and others came from other parts of Switzerland, Germany and France, but we didn't have too many fans there beyond those with tickets, which wasn't a lot (maybe 10k). And of course I'd imagine the last train out of Dublin to Belfast is pretty unlikely to be able to carry about 50k people! Basel just wasn't prepared for such a game and when I think back to Dortmund in 2001, thousands didn't have accomodation, so were just hanging around till the morning waiting for everything to start up - my hotel was 7 miles away, but there were no cabs, so I walked 5 miles - which isn't much fun at 2 or 3am pissed up. Athens couldn't handle 2007 with loads of us staying along the coast and then all the coaches back fucking off before we could get to them after the game - we had to squeeze 6 into a 4 seat cab. And all of this will be absolutely fuck all compared to Dublin considering the numbers that will inevitably go. I dunno if I'll go or not, but right now if I was asked, I think it's a big no from me. 

For the 2005 Final in Istanbul me and my mate just went straight to the airport from the ground (about 2 hours after the fulltime whistle).  We got a bit of sleep in the big overflow tent outside the terminal until our  morning flight was called. 

Then in 2007 we stayed in a resort about a 2 hour bus journey away when we couldn't get a hotel in Athens.  Both worked fine.

I will add, I feel like we have a few games to play first before it's a real worry though?

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I live in one of the rougher parts of Dublin city and going by the gear being worn, most of the people around here support Liverpool. There was even a pub that had signed shirts and boots from Virg and Trent in a frame, but unfortunately it closed recently. 

There's plenty of scrotebags going around but overall it's a pretty safe city, certainly more than it was 20 years ago.

1 hour ago, JohnnyH said:

For the 2005 Final in Istanbul me and my mate just went straight to the airport from the ground (about 2 hours after the fulltime whistle).  We got a bit of sleep in the big overflow tent outside the terminal until our  morning flight was called. 

Then in 2007 we stayed in a resort about a 2 hour bus journey away when we couldn't get a hotel in Athens.  Both worked fine.

I will add, I feel like we have a few games to play first before it's a real worry though?

yeah we were in a resort too. getting back was not fun. 

I'm lucky to have accommodation in Dublin when I want it, so a bit nearer the time, will book a ferry over to Belfast/Larne and then drive or get the train down the day before.

Thats me jinxed it. Out in the group stage.