You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bands/Artists who have surprised you live

Bjornebye

Blue Aeroplanes at Bristol Colston Hall in about 1991 were the most surprising. They'd just released Swagger, which was good, REM-style pop-rock and I was expecting a fairly sedate gig. They absolutely tore the place to pieces, started off with 3 guitarists and finished with 7 (4 from the supporting bands). A speaker stack nearly came over, and a trapdoor near the front of the stage got pounded through. I had my watch torn off in the mosh near the front and never even noticed until the end of the gig (farewell, faithful £9.95 Timex digital). Immense gig.

Worst was probably Velvet Underground at Glastonbury (1992?). It was early evening, so not the best time for a gig, they couldn't really be arsed and Lou Reed just spent most of the gig scowling and bitching. Dire.

Edit: it was '93, found this. Rolf was better.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/festival-showstoppers-557622.html

3 hours ago, Mook said:

What's the trick?

I'm assuming these were not instrumental cover versions so surely the only trick would be knowing the chords, rough arrangements, melodies & lyrics of each song requested.

'Trick' is probably the wrong word as it's more about having a good knowledge of music theory and knowing the likely chord progressions and song keys which all comes with experience. He'd probably been in the music business,maybe even a teacher or music college graduate and those type of people are very well versed in music.

Sinead O'Connor at the Fleadh Festival circa 1998 in one of the tents. I think, from memory, Simple Minds were due to headline but were replaced late in the day by James, who me and my mates had seen before. Awesome gig in a more intimate venue and one hell of a voice. If I could get a bootleg of it, I would.

21 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

'Trick' is probably the wrong word as it's more about having a good knowledge of music theory and knowing the likely chord progressions and song keys which all comes with experience. He'd probably been in the music business,maybe even a teacher or music college graduate and those type of people are very well versed in music.

Aye, spending years studying, iistening & learning to play music isn't really a trick.

I was in the Kazimier years ago at some all day festival really early in the day, we were outside waiting for the next band and I went in because the bar would be faster, half an hour later my ex has turned up next to me wondering where I am and I am still transfixed watching Young Fathers. Never heard of them before but they came on as I walked in and they were just incredible. 

Used to go to a squatted bike shed in Leiden to see bands every Thursday. Usually a couple of bands, 5 euro in, 1 euro a beer, never know what you are going to get, bit of petrol money for the bands and a place to kip, generally about 20 or so of us in there. One night we got Future Islands. 

1 hour ago, cloggypop said:

Used to go to a squatted bike shed in Leiden to see bands every Thursday. Usually a couple of bands, 5 euro in, 1 euro a beer, never know what you are going to get, bit of petrol money for the bands and a place to kip, generally about 20 or so of us in there. One night we got Future Islands. 

Fuck. Did you get your money back? 

The Flaming Lips were absolutely incredible to watch live, they put on a terrific show. 

I thought I only knew a couple REM songs but turns out I knew loads, they were very good at Glastonbury around 2004 or so.

I liked the Kaiser Chiefs back in the day but can remember the exact moment I had enough of them, watching them at Glastonbury and they were singing 'Oh my god'. After the 45th repetition of the chorus, they did a theatrical pause and, oh wait, get this, another 8 repetitions of the shitty chorus, the song lasted 15 minutes, think there were 8 or 9 theatrical pauses before Oh my god I can't believe it. Well I fucking can, fuck off Kaiser Chiefs you bad shithouse dog aids, shit cunts.

• Upvote 1

On 30/03/2023 at 05:13, Pidge said:

I think Slipknot, always took the piss out of them until I saw them at Reading, then again at Download a couple of years' later. Great live band with some brilliant musicians.

At the same festival I saw the Hives, I thought they'd be fun, but they were excellent. Same for another Swedish rock n roll punk band, Randy. Supporting Bad Religion and stole the show.

Got a new respect for Taking Back Sunday when they tried to play for a tent full of baying Slayer fans at Download 04.

Ash were probably the biggest let down, always loved them, but live I found them really dull. Festival stage again so maybe a bit harsh, suits some bands but not others.

I have the opposite with Ash, went to see them a week ago at the Croxton.  A mate of mine is from Norn Iron, so he was obliged to go, and talked a couple of us into it.

I'd forgotten how many of their songs I knew, the atmosphere was really good, people singing along.  The base player went about 20 rows back into the crowd during Kung Fu and played the whole song there.  I was exceedingly pissed, but had a surprisingly good time.

Weirdly they barely looked any different from the 90s heyday, Tim Wheeler might have shrunk, the little mini man.

11 hours ago, Mook said:

Aye, spending years studying, iistening & learning to play music isn't really a trick.

Like I said 'trick' was the wrong word 'method' 'system' etc would be the more appropriate words. That said 'trick' is often used in familiar parlance to mean the same things. I mean,the players of the unmentionable we love are often accused of doing tricks with the ball but its something they've practiced most days for probably 20 years and still do.

5 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

I have the opposite with Ash, went to see them a week ago at the Croxton.  A mate of mine is from Norn Iron, so he was obliged to go, and talked a couple of us into it.

I'd forgotten how many of their songs I knew, the atmosphere was really good, people singing along.  The base player went about 20 rows back into the crowd during Kung Fu and played the whole song there.  I was exceedingly pissed, but had a surprisingly good time.

Weirdly they barely looked any different from the 90s heyday, Tim Wheeler might have shrunk, the little mini man.

Norn Iron is a great name for a band 

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I'd be happy to know where I was,in your opinion? Please educate me as I do enjoy a bit of music theory and these ladies and gents who have made a career from teaching and playing have my utmost respect.

Read all of your posts back in this thread and everywhere other than the bit where you said 'trick was the wrong word to use'.