You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

19 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I completely disagree with that. Unless whoever comes in completely surpasses him performance wise, fitness dependent, I would absolutely expect him to start all the big games. 

If it’s Lavia who comes in, I assume he’ll get his minutes in the EL, League Cup, starts v lesser league opposition and sub minutes. I’d be surprised if the intention with Thiago isn’t for him to be available for the more testing fixtures. 

When he’s fit, he’s absolutely one of the best players in the league. We’d be idiotic not to use him while we can. 

Agreed.  If he's fit, he plays.  As it has been since he came here.  He's still one of the best mids on the planet when fit.

12 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Allegedly Fabinho’s transfer has been held up over some issue with his dogs. 

Be just our luck that it all breaks down and he stays and has virtually no pre-season as result.

Hopefully there are other takers lined up.

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I have said a number of times his defensive side is often overlooked.

No way he can be effective there now imo. 

If you got tired of watching folks running past Fabinho last season, it would be worse.

With a fine tuned counter press in front of him again, I genuinely think he could be great in that role. 

25 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I completely disagree with that. Unless whoever comes in completely surpasses him performance wise, fitness dependent, I would absolutely expect him to start all the big games. 

If it’s Lavia who comes in, I assume he’ll get his minutes in the EL, League Cup, starts v lesser league opposition and sub minutes. I’d be surprised if the intention with Thiago isn’t for him to be available for the more testing fixtures. 

When he’s fit, he’s absolutely one of the best players in the league. We’d be idiotic not to use him while we can. 

I don't see any position for him in this new formation, unless Trent doesn't play. We're moving past him this summer and going back to players who can run. 

17 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Allegedly Fabinho’s transfer has been held up over some issue with his dogs. 

Are they gay? 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't see any position for him in this new formation, unless Trent doesn't play. We're moving past him this summer and going back to players who can run. 

9 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

With a fine tuned counter press in front of him again, I genuinely think he could be great in that role. 

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Ok..i don't see it. And I don't think the club doneither, which is why they enjoy offered to extend his deal. 

I don’t see the correlation.

It’s not a long term option. He’s 33 in April. Given his injury record and wages, we shouldn’t be giving him a new contract.

IMO, a fine tuned counter press and him sweeping / doing the dirty work, will be more than suitable as a short term option for the forthcoming season. 

36 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I don’t agree. Thiago is great at stepping up and getting a toe in. His ability to do the ugly side is underrated. 

Pheeep yellow card, camera close up of Thiago looking hard done by, opposition free kick on edge of box.

( but done in such a classy way.)

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I don’t see the correlation.

It’s not a long term option. He’s 33 in April. Given his injury record and wages, we shouldn’t be giving him a new contract.

IMO, a fine tuned counter press and him sweeping / doing the dirty work, will be more than suitable as a short term option for the forthcoming season. 

Sort of agree - but has he got the legs for the job? Even with better around him and a better press ahead of him - i'd still worry about his legs....and i don't mean the 50-60% of the season they are on a physios table/have fallen off!

9 minutes ago, an tha said:

Sort of agree - but has he got the legs for the job? Even with better around him and a better press ahead of him - i'd still worry about his legs....and i don't mean the 50-60% of the season they are on a physios table/have fallen off!

I’m trying to find some running stats per player but can’t find them.

My gut feeling would be that being a #6 in our system would be less physically demanding than an #8. 

2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I’m trying to find some running stats per player but can’t find them.

My gut feeling would be that being a #6 in our system would be less physically demanding than an #8. 

Think for me it might be more the need to have recovery speed - be nippy over short distances to get in and snuff stuff out/win ball.

10 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

Pheeep yellow card, camera close up of Thiago looking hard done by, opposition free kick on edge of box.

( but done in such a classy way.)

Minute later: Takes pass, rolls ball under studs, double stepover, feints to do something constructive, plays slightly backwards diagonal pass with outside of boot.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, El Rojo said:

Minute later: Takes pass, rolls ball under studs, double stepover, feints to do something constructive, plays slightly backwards diagonal pass with outside of boot.

Minute later...looks down at leg, shuffles towards touchline looking fed up - goes off - is subbed a minute later.

Next seen 7 weeks later.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

He makes more progressive passes than 98-99% of midfielders. But dont let facts like that ruin the fun.

5 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

He makes more progressive passes than 98-99% of midfielders. But dont let facts like that ruin the fun.

Sorry. My brain’s probably been short circuited from the excitement of all those assists from him last season.