You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

6 minutes ago, No2 said:

Would Pitaluga not just replace him in both position and HG status? Reserve behind Ali should be about development and profit. Keep the wheel churning.

I don't know if pitaluga is good enough. Surely if he was, we'd have let Adrian go? 

Personally I disagree with your take on the backup keeper. His first job is to be good enough to keep goal for Liverpool. Then if that can be development and profit, that's a bonus. But his first job is being a decent keeper. Which so far kelleher has achieved. Adrian isn't good enough. 

9 minutes ago, No2 said:

Would Pitaluga not just replace him in both position and HG status? Reserve behind Ali should be about development and profit. Keep the wheel churning.

It's more likely he'd go in at No.3 and Adrian moved up to No.2 similar to how Kelleher came through.

They set up that goalkeeper system a season a few seasons back so it'd make sense to have a cemented No.1, a veteran keeper and then you try and develop a youngster who moves from #3 to established #2 over a few seasons with a view to replacing the No.1 but who you inevitably end up selling for a profit.

I thought the next up would be Harvey Davies but he's off on loan.

6 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

It's more likely he'd go in at No.3 and Adrian moved up to No.2 similar to how Kelleher came through.

They set up that goalkeeper system a season a few seasons back so it'd make sense to have a cemented No.1, a veteran keeper and then you try and develop a youngster who moves from #3 to established #2 over a few seasons with a view to replacing the No.1 but who you inevitably end up selling for a profit.

I thought the next up would be Harvey Davies but he's off on loan.

Adrian isn't good enough for the number 2 spot though. 

Just now, TD_LFC said:

Then we have to hope Pitaluga develops quick.

As I say though, it makes the re-signing of Adrian all the more unfathomable. 3rd choice he's hardly ideal, but you enjoy to have some back luck to need to go there with a keeper. But we can't be having him back as the first backup to Ali. 

38 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Then we have to hope Pitaluga develops quick.

Given his age, I assume Pitaluga would go on loan to help his development.

If Keheller is to leave, we’d need to buy a home grown replacement, likely in the same bracket as Adrian.

Or let Adrian go and sign De Gea? *

*joke. 

46 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

As I say though, it makes the re-signing of Adrian all the more unfathomable. 3rd choice he's hardly ideal, but you enjoy to have some back luck to need to go there with a keeper. But we can't be having him back as the first backup to Ali. 

I don't think we sell Kelleher this summer anyway so it's largely irrelevant but I think whoever you get to bridge that gap isn't going to be to the level you want unless you go and get a 21-25 year old knowing you'll committing money to a position you hope you'll never use every couple of years.

Can't say I'd feel much more secure with a Stefan Ortega or Matt Turner though.

34 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Given his age, I assume Pitaluga would go on loan to help his development.

He's been out on loan already hasn't he?

Like I say, based on last summer my assumption would have been that Davies is next in line but he's gone to Crewe on loan, we'll probably see in the first few games where they see Pitaluga but as I don't think they'll sell Kelleher I'm guessing that will ultimately be 4th choice.

There was an article in the Athletic last year talking about our goalkeeping from scouting through to development that suggested that those two were next in line and we've not bought another keeper of similar age since then that has jumped out (although Jaros played well at the U21 championships apparently) so if we follow the same model you'd assume it would be one of them.

When promising young keepers who could push to be a No.1 somewhere are going for 12-20 million  I can't see us signing a keeper in that bracket while Alisson is so secure.

27 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I don't think we sell Kelleher this summer anyway so it's largely irrelevant but I think whoever you get to bridge that gap isn't going to be to the level you want unless you go and get a 21-25 year old knowing you'll committing money to a position you hope you'll never use every couple of years.

Can't say I'd feel much more secure with a Stefan Ortega or Matt Turner though.

for me it is the combination of keepers. Adrian was never great, but as we have seen from his odd performances here, his level has diminished in the 3 or 4 years he has been around - he was almost adequate in the 1st year here. If we operate the model you suggest, my view is step one is bring in someone to replace kelleher as number 2 who is a more competent version of Adrian. You are then able to promote the young gun who can grow into the number 2 role as the senior keeper gets old. Exactly like we have just done over the last few years. If the plan was to sell Kelleher, then keeping Adrian was not compatible with that.

I hope you are right and he stays, which makes the whole discussion moot. But if we are set on selling Kelleher (or indeed Kelleher and his agent want to get him out), then I think keeping Adrian is a mistake. 

The difficult part is that I don't think we were planning on Fabinho and or Hendo leaving. People can say they should both go, and maybe they should, but I think the club are passengers in the decisions here and that isn't easy.

Ultimately, I don't think you can reject 40m for Fabinho at this stage. The Hendo thing seems more complicated, though. I don't really get what's going on there.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

The difficult part is that I don't think we were planning on Fabinho and or Hendo leaving. People can say they should both go, and maybe they should, but I think the club are passengers in the decisions here. That isn't easy.

Ultimately, I don't think you can reject 40m for Fabinho at this stage. The Hendo thing seems more complicated, though. I don't really get what's going on there.

It’s undoubtedly a massive headache for Klopp at the start of pre-season.

In the context of new signings and the other departures, Fabinho is much more valuable to us than Henderson in footballing terms. Keep him unless we’re bringing in an established 6 who isn’t a kid/prospect. 

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

The difficult part is that I don't think we were planning on Fabinho and or Hendo leaving. People can say they should both go, and maybe they should, but I think the club are passengers in the decisions here and that isn't easy.

It's not ideal but them staying isn't ideal either as they are both massively on the wane on big wages. It's Catch 22.

Keep them for stability, so that the new players can bed in but then be stuck with them longer than needed, soaking up our wage budget.

Or

Sell them but hope that the 3/4 new midfielders can adapt quickly and our other senior players can step up and take on the leadership responsibilities.

Either way it's a risk to what's optimal for us.

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Agree.

If they both leave it definitely sets us back hugely regardless of who we buy to replace them. Assuming we do replace them and not adopt the "right replacements were not available". 

Only consolation is this is happening just when pre season training has started....but then if this had happened some time earlier maybe we would have kept Milner.