You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

The reality is, if a deal can't be done, the club will have to wheel him out in front of the cameras to apologise for having his head turned by cash and then some bullshit of "how could he leave all this behind" and another bunch of sound bites about how special the club is, and we'll all have to get on with it. But as I have said before, he should be bottom of the stack for selection. We managed to get on with Suarez and coutinho going on strike and then coming back to the team, I don't expect it'll be different for Henderson, although it's almost impossible he could retain the captaincy. 

Two problems I have with that are I hate idea of players who want to go then staying and that  he has 2 years left on his contract and is in massive irreversible decline.

He'll take 20m in wages over those 2 years if he stays for adding next to sod all.

Nobody bar the saudis are gonna buy him/offer him a big enough wage to go.

I think we should just take the 10m they are reportedly offering...it is actually a fair price IMO for him now.

10m fee banked - 20m in wages we can spend on better.

• Upvote 1

Just now, El Rojo said:

Fair enough. Not sure what media campaign starting in April 2019 you’re referring to in your earlier post, though.

He did captain us to a European Cup a month later and the league the following year, so it’s hardly surprising there were a few positive pieces about him over that time.

I think most are in agreement that his star has waned significantly and that the current shitshow is disappointing, but the revisionism of recent months that he’s always been some cowardly fraud who Klopp played as some kind of odd chairity act is more than a bit weird.

Well he wasn't a guaranteed starter. He was hooked at OT in the 0-0 where Rashford played on one leg and was dropped and came off the bench to make it 3-1 at Southampton. From that point he seemed to have untouchable status which I don't believe he warranted.

13 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Completely different scenario. Henderson pulled a stunt a few seasons back to get that new deal. Bobby wasn't offered a new deal by the club and wasn't club captain at the time with 2 years left on his contract. Not to mention that Bobby is vastly superior footballer to Henderson in nearly all facets of the game so Jordan should count himself very fucking lucky he's in this extremely privileged position.

Firmino was shite for pretty much three seasons before he left.

The rose tinted specs with him are unbelievable. Aye, he was amazing from around 2018-2020 but fell off a cliff after that. Henderson was pretty fucking good during that time too & played his part in our success.

Anybody who fucks off to this middle eastern money pit can get in the bin as far as I'm concerned.

• Upvote 2

Just now, an tha said:

Two problems I have with that are I hate idea of players who want to go then staying and that  he has 2 years left on his contract and is in massive irreversible decline.

He'll take 20m in wages over those 2 years if he stays for adding next to sod all.

Nobody bar the saudis are gonna buy him/offer him a big enough wage to go.

I think we should just take the 10m they are reportedly offering...it is actually a fair price IMO for him now.

10m fee banked - 20m in wages we can spend on better.

I think the club should stick to whatever number they had.on his head before this all started. We are maybe trying to be opportunistic because his head is already there and he has agreed terms. But I'm sure as a business there's always been a number that makes sense to the club.

As I posted earlier today, the speed in which we seem to have accepted he's going (I mean the club and not you and me, it's not been suggested at any point we wont sell, just a question of the number), suggests the club are made up to get rid. They just don't want to appear willing sellers. I'm sure there's a number they can work with - although some reports are suggesting they're expecting him for free. 

But Henderson might just wake up tomorrow and decide he doesn't want to go. 

1 minute ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Well he wasn't a guaranteed starter. He was hooked at OT in the 0-0 where Rashford played on one leg and was dropped and came off the bench to make it 3-1 at Southampton. From that point he seemed to have untouchable status which I don't believe he warranted.

If he did have untouchable status around that time, it certainly didn’t do us any harm. Or maybe Klopp is just a lucky general.

3 minutes ago, Mook said:

Firmino was shite for pretty much three seasons before he left.

The rose tinted specs with him are unbelievable. Aye, he was amazing from around 2018-2020 but fell off a cliff after that. Henderson was pretty fucking good during that time too & played his part in our success.

Anybody who fucks off to this middle eastern money pit can get in the bin as far as I'm concerned.

In fairness to Bobby, he was really good last season again. Brilliant signing all considered. 

11 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

You think this has all been made up? 

I have absolutely no idea, but the whole thing seems to have gone through about 7 phases from mainly nonentities online, without any input whatsoever from Jurgen, Jordan or even an agent. It seems our captain is that disliked on here that we are all happy believing the worst, and are suggesting that if he has the cheek to try to play for us again, it should only be allowed if he is agreeable to do a hostage video from the AXA press room.

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

I think the club should stick to whatever number they had.on his head before this all started. We are maybe trying to be opportunistic because his head is already there and he has agreed terms. But I'm sure as a business there's always been a number that makes sense to the club.

As I posted earlier today, the speed in which we seem to have accepted he's going (I mean the club and not you and me, it's not been suggested at any point we wont sell, just a question of the number), suggests the club are made up to get rid. They just don't want to appear willing sellers. I'm sure there's a number they can work with - although some reports are suggesting they're expecting him for free. 

But Henderson might just wake up tomorrow and decide he doesn't want to go. 

Yeah - feel he must go now though and I would take the money for Fabinho too if it is offered.

I hear people being concerned about losing potentially three experienced players/leaders in midfield at same time, but for me we missed the boat to effect an ordered, gradual transition - it sailed 12 months or more ago....

We could have done it gradually when those ageing and declining players were still playing at a relatively high level albeit levels where they were starting to show signs of decline.

We hung on and did nothing and watched  those players fall off a cliff...
Now we IMHO have to clear the decks and be ruthless and yeah it needs doing in one fell swoop - this Saudi stuff is actually a real bonus in being able to do so.

It's all well and good arguing "Ah but what if the young players don't kick on or the new ones don't gel or they aren't ready" or claim it is "too much change all in one go" and whilst yeah it is maybe a concern the alternative is sticking with players who are clearly no longer at the required level we need - and who will only get worse with the passing of further time.....So why not take a chance on players who we hope and expect will be good enough if given the opportunity and add some more fresh quality blood on top?...

Let's tell it like it is both Henderson and Fabinho were largely outperformed last season by the youngsters who will all be staying.....So whilst I do hear the shouts about how we will miss their experience around the squad and in the dressing room etc - IMO that experience is less valuable when their legs have gone and as players they can't perform on the park at the level we need them to anymore......that is where the real leadership and influence takes place.

They used to be the standard setters, they used to be good enough - they proved it and have the medals to show it - but for me their standards now are not high enough for us and as a result maybe our "leaders" are actually a big reason why we find ourselves not where we want to be now.

I don't see how the loss of Milner, Henderson and Fabinho would create some sort of hole that would see standards fall at a club chocker full of players who have played at highest levels, some of who are international captains (although not sure that is a ringing endorsement) and players who've won everything, mixed in with exciting hungry new players....New leaders will emerge with hopefully higher standards to take us to success.

Just imagine as well if selling these two and getting their wages off the bill opens the door to signing a top midfielder for example plus a young player Klopp really likes who he can develop....on top of what we have already done - that would represent some rebuild and would also only leave Thiago next summer as a midfield leaver - so we are in a position where we have a settled midfield and one ready to roll for 5 years. In fact if Thiago could stay fit for first 3 months or so of this coming season that would be useful in giving all the new faces time to get up to speed with everything.

The opportunity to really make the changes we need and properly rebuild is upon us, we should not waste it.

• Upvote 2

Just now, sir roger said:

I have absolutely no idea, but the whole thing seems to have gone through about 7 phases from mainly nonentities online, without any input whatsoever from Jurgen, Jordan or even an agent. It seems our captain is that disliked on here that we are all happy believing the worst, and are suggesting that if he has the cheek to try to play for us again, it should only be allowed if he is agreeable to do a hostage video from the AXA press room.

So you think transfer links are only credible if the club says so? This would be a pretty short thread if that's how it worked. I don't think players or clubs ever say anything..and if the players agent came out and said "yeah, he wants out", he's fucking his client. 

Klopp has been with the media today at a time when speculation was rife that his captain wants away and has already agreed terms with another club. He's had ample chance to squash the story, but he didn't because it would appear a pretty credible story. 

I think when it gets this far and you are club captain, yes absolutely you need to get in front of the fans if you want to back track. It was good enough for Gerrard in 2005, I don't see my reason why it wouldn't be the same for henderson. 

Henderson is not just any player. He's the club captain and has been for some time, so if he wants to agree terms with another club and then choose to stay, he has some recovery to do. 

6 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

In fairness to Bobby, he was really good last season again. Brilliant signing all considered. 

Both fair points, he was a huge factor in those champions league/title/World club cup wins during 2019/20. Nobody can deny that.

. It was good enough for Gerrard in 2005,

He was one of the greatest players in the world at that time, not difficult to backtrack.

The other two - Coutinho and Suarez had seasons Henderson could only dream of now - there is no comparison to any of these now.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

He was one of the greatest players in the world at that time, not difficult to backtrack.

The other two - Coutinho and Suarez had seasons Henderson could only dream of now - there is no comparison to any of these now.

The comparison is, the club got on with it and the fans followed. But I have absolutely no issue in klopp telling Henderson exactly what you say. As I said before, the key to getting this deal done imo is make Henderson feel like there's no way back here. Then he might be willing to give up some of his riches to get it done so his new club and his old club both feel like they got what they wanted. 

The comparison is, the club got on with it and the fans followed. 

As I have said I think that it may come down to Henderson kicking in a bit to make it right but there is very little chance the fans would "come onboard" in this situation if this deal falls through. It is completely different in almost every way.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

As I have said I think that it may come down to Henderson kicking in a bit to make it right but there is very little chance the fans would "come onboard" in this situation if this deal falls through. It is completely different in almost every way.

Well hopefully we don't find out and it all just gets resolved. 

6 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

All this bullshit is a major kick in the stones for Klopp, who no doubt had different plans for this pre-season. 

I hope we keep Fabinho, as there’s no guarantee we’ll replace him appropriately in this window. 

Further proof that his loyalty has come back to bite him.

Led around the yard by two unwanted donkeys.

8 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

All this bullshit is a major kick in the stones for Klopp, who no doubt had different plans for this pre-season. 

I hope we keep Fabinho, as there’s no guarantee we’ll replace him appropriately in this window. 

this will have an impact to the subs bench only, either way. 

3 minutes ago, stringvest said:

this will have an impact to the subs bench only, either way. 

A season of transition ahead so, unless the new lads settle remarkably quickly. Inevitably, Thiago will be unavailable for most games too. That’s a lot of flux.

9 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

And 100m. Even if we were to offload Henderson, thiago and fab, I don't think the club would see him representing value at that price. And I'm sure I read he wants 250k per week, which we deffo wouldn't be on for. Maybe @lifetime fan has some insight on that..

It’s Chelsea and has been for nearly a year. 

I’d love him here but the money is eye watering (wages even more than the clause/agreement). 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

A season of transition ahead so, unless the new lads settle remarkably quickly. Inevitably, Thiago will be unavailable for most games too. That’s a lot of flux.

I agree, but the club allowed this situation to happen.  I also fancy either Fabinho or Thiago to go in this window.  I think the risk is mitigated by the replacement of average to poor players by good to very good ones.