You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bobby Firmino deal or no deal

Lee909

Deal or no Deal  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Deal or no Deal

Diaz, Carvalho, Nunez, Bobby, Jota, Salah. If he goes then I’d rather we replaced him with a pacy winger but I’d just as soon as keep him for another year and add that winger anyway. Despite all those forwards I still don’t think any of them do what he does, when he’s on he’s the only one who links the midfield and attack. 

Torn on this one. As we're painfully living the reality of, this team needs to be refreshed with younger, hungry, replacements. And we all thought Bobby was finished before this season's revival. Which would all point to go.

But then he has been good this season, and he's never relied on pace. We've got so much squad rejuvenation needed in other areas as well. Bobby also gives you something almost no other player in world football does when he's on the pitch in terms of his position and how he plays the game. So I wouldn't be adverse to a 2 year deal if the terms weren't ridiculous. You'd think if that were the case though he'd go somewhere else for a final payday. And it will be a very say day indeed if and when that happens 

Should obviously get a new deal. His lack of form has been vastly exaggerated the last couple of years. People are so excited with shiny new toys (Jota, Diaz, Nunez) that they fail to see what is working best, team-wise. Bobby still knits our attacking play better than anyone else in the club (bar maybe Thiago and an in-form Trent), and is still vital to our shape and press (the few times our midfielders are up for the job). Luckily Jurgen knows his importance, so I've no doubt he'll be offered a new deal, probably a 2-year agreement with an option of a third year.

9 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Diaz, Carvalho, Nunez, Bobby, Jota, Salah. If he goes then I’d rather we replaced him with a pacy winger but I’d just as soon as keep him for another year and add that winger anyway. Despite all those forwards I still don’t think any of them do what he does, when he’s on he’s the only one who links the midfield and attack. 

I’ve got a feeling Carvalho and/or Elliott are being lined up for that job. Neither of them are quick enough to play wide up-front but they are both players.  

11 hours ago, stringvest said:

This.  There was a time, a number of years ago, that Firmino was genuinely one of the best forwards/link players in the league.  That was a long time ago, and now he would not make the first 11 regularly in a team like Fulham.  He has played well in fits and starts this season, but the second half yesterday showed the depths he can sink to.  Literally nothing stuck to him, he was their first line of defence.  And anything he can do, a fit Jota can do it better, with more mobility and menace.  

Giving him an extension would be a rank bad idea following similar rank bad ideas with others.  We don't need to further accelerate our downfall by making decisions like that.

Haven't bothered to read your posts in a while. Had to check this out though, and wasn't disappointed. As bad a take as anything I've read on here.

• Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, lebron said:

Haven't bothered to read your posts in a while. Had to check this out though, and wasn't disappointed. As bad a take as anything I've read on here.

So instead of being upset with posts, why don't you try and put up a reasonable defence of bobby's form for years and if you believe he should stay, formulate a reason why it makes sense. The fella earns 200k per week, it needs some justification. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

The fella earns 200k per week, it needs some justification. 

This is why I edge more to no deal. He will be offered a good wage elsewhere, and I don't think we should match it. I don't think he is a particularly good number 10 either. Need to keep getting younger and faster now. 

6 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

This is why I edge more to no deal. He will be offered a good wage elsewhere, and I don't think we should match it. I don't think he is a particularly good number 10 either. Need to keep getting younger and faster now. 

For me it's all about priorities. He should be 5th choice forward, but our fitness management is such when fit he plays all the time. And if that's how we role, there's no space for Bobby - no issue with paying good money for a player who plays and is there on merit. Just not there by default. If we had a front 3 that stayed fit, a 4th forward who rotated around them and Bobby filled the 4th forward role with the odd injury, that's fine for me. But it's not the case. He plays every week and he's not at the level we want and hasn't been for a long time - yet we pay him superstar wages. If someone said he's on 50k.per week and 50k appearance money, he makes sense. 

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

For me it's all about priorities. He should be 5th choice forward, but our fitness management is such when fit he plays all the time. And if that's how we role, there's no space for Bobby. If we had a front 3 that stayed fit, a 4th forward who rotated around them and Bobby filled the 4th forward role with the odd injury, that's fine for me. But it's not the case. He plays every week and he's not at the level we want and hasn't been for a long time - yet we pay him superstar wages. If someone said he's on 50k.per week and 50k appearance money, he makes sense. 

You are arguing in circles.

If bolded is true we actually need a 5th forward who is better then Firmino as he plays all the time and apparently isn't good enough.

So we will have to buy a 5th forward better than Firmino and pay similar wages doncha think?

25 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

You are arguing in circles.

If bolded is true we actually need a 5th forward who is better then Firmino as he plays all the time and apparently isn't good enough.

So we will have to buy a 5th forward better than Firmino and pay similar wages doncha think?

I think we need either a better 5th choice or less injuries and then it's alright if he's 5th. That enough for you? 

14 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think we need either a better 5th choice or less injuries and then it's alright if he's 5th. That enough for you? 

Don't really expect the injury thing to change much - kind of the way it is nowdays. That is with Salah available pretty much all the time. 

So a better 5th choice will most likely include a transfer fee and wages at least up @ 100k. 

Give that to Bobby for another year imo, it's too late to sell him.

He played about 10 full games of premier league football last season but we scored 94 goals, so its a myth that he is somehow the force that keeps the forward line clicking. He played 3 times as many minutes the year prior to last season so should really have that famous impact on our attacking play but we scored 26 less goals. He is actually more of a problem then any solution. He used to be good but he just aint anymore and has not been for a few years.

• Upvote 1