You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

174 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

52 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

It's possible for him to be a very good player (which he is) and also, possibly, not the right player for a given club.

I’m starting to come to that conclusion (I might have said it a bit ago actually).

I’d give him next season to improve, if somebody offered us our money back this window, I’d consider it. 

• Upvote 1

I hate the new system it allows even the most dogshit of sides acres of space and opportunity to get one on us and when it happens and they miss we don't heed any warnings we just carry on getting done by it. Maybe with the new players in the summer and a preseason of working on it, it will all come together but it just feels to me like a boxer not bothering with his guard because he feels it can give him an extra inch on his jab. I dont want a team completely unbalanced just to make Trent more of a threat I'd rather the whole side was more of a threat but actually capable of defending.

49 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I’d give him next season to improve, if somebody offered us our money back this window, I’d consider it. 

I’ll rephrase this…

If somebody offered us our money back AND we could reinvest the money in the same window on an attacker, I’d consider it. 

I know he’s not set Chelsea alight but Joao Felix would be suited to us. Michael Olise would be a good understudy for Mo. Moussa Diaby as well, but he’d be more expensive. 

56 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

If true, an interesting comment…

IMG_8984.png

And the thing with that is Nunez is statistically a much more dangerous attacking player than Gakpo. He really must be just absolutely awful at the other stuff to get put at the back of the line like he has. 

I've said it before; figuring out how to play Nunez central is one of Klopp's biggest issues he has to figure out. 

27 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I’ll rephrase this…

If somebody offered us our money back AND we could reinvest the money in the same window on an attacker, I’d consider it. 

I know he’s not set Chelsea alight but Joao Felix would be suited to us. Michael Olise would be a good understudy for Mo. Moussa Diaby as well, but he’d be more expensive. 

Not much danger of that.

21 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

And the thing with that is Nunez is statistically a much more dangerous attacking player than Gakpo. He really must be just absolutely awful at the other stuff to get put at the back of the line like he has. 

I've said it before; figuring out how to play Nunez central is one of Klopp's biggest issues he has to figure out. 

I wouldn’t say he was awful at the other bits, other players certainly understand their role and was is expected of him more than Nunez did / does. 

When did he last play as a #9? Brentford at New Year? 

There is definitely an issue here, IMO one of Klopp’s own making - it was him who was keener on Nunez than the analysts. 

I do really like Nunez. I hope it all clicks for him next season. 

5 hours ago, an tha said:

His finishing stats may not be great but that does not worry me - what were Suarez's like in his 1st season and look what happened.

This is true, and I do remember Suarez repeatedly taking an extra split second, and also being very unlucky.  

But I honestly don't recall anyone feeling he was a dud.  Yes, he had the cover of Carrol, the big money signing, being a donkey and the spotlight being on that signing rather than on him, so that helped, maybe.

But it seems like the "Suarez is Uruguayan and he came good after a patchy start" is a bit of Hail Mary.

Logically, it is not something we should be clinging to.

Of course I'd love him to work out - I am behind him every time he comes on - but I am in the "cash out now" camp.

It hasn't worked out.  I can't see it changing dramatically in this new future.

I'll definitely follow his career which is more than I have done for some of the duds we've flogged, as I like him.

• Upvote 3

Nothing similar in Suarez first 6 months and Nunez first season at all except the finishing. Suarez still looked a star and our best player he was just missing chances. He never looked out of place or clueless about what he was supposed to be doing tactically 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I’ll rephrase this…

And Nunez would probably be perfect for Chelsea

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

I wouldn’t say he was awful at the other bits, other players certainly understand their role and was is expected of him more than Nunez did / does. 

When did he last play as a #9? Brentford at New Year? 

There is definitely an issue here, IMO one of Klopp’s own making - it was him who was keener on Nunez than the analysts. 

I do really like Nunez. I hope it all clicks for him next season. 

He is demonstrably terrible at everything that isn't goal scoring. His underlying goal, assist and shot numbers are such that if he was even half decent off ball, tactically and technically, we couldn't be able to afford not playing him every game.

Gakpo's GA contribution in the league is about 10 minute difference. I imagine most folks thinking taking more shots for a similar return is not a good thing. 

Nunez will find his role - but it won't be as the starting 9 in either Klopp's previous or current system, and he will not be bombed out after this year.

• Upvote 1

If he’s a bit part player/impact sub next season we might as well flush him now whilst we still might get something like our money back. £50m plus return and I reckon it’s worth doing. He’s a top player at the right team, I doubt Dortmund could pay his wages but if we were looking at creative ways to get Bellingham he’d be ideal for them. Bayern need a striker. Even Arsenal and Chelsea would probably be better suited although the idea of swapping Nunez and all his potential for Mason Mount is depressing. Napoli will have a shed load of cash after selling Osimhen and as mentioned they had the best of Cavani. I doubt we’d be short of suitors in the summer, but a year of being Divock Origi and losing his confidence playing with Calvin Ramsey and Leighton Clarkson on Thursday nights will destroy his worth.

• Upvote 1

On 03/05/2023 at 00:39, 3 Stacks said:

Shouldn’t there have been something in the can  before we made him our marquee signing? 

I can’t see him working out here, at another club playing a different, more direct game, he could be very effective. 

On 02/05/2023 at 20:19, razor said:

This is true, and I do remember Suarez repeatedly taking an extra split second, and also being very unlucky.  

But I honestly don't recall anyone feeling he was a dud.  Yes, he had the cover of Carrol, the big money signing, being a donkey and the spotlight being on that signing rather than on him, so that helped, maybe.

But it seems like the "Suarez is Uruguayan and he came good after a patchy start" is a bit of Hail Mary.

Logically, it is not something we should be clinging to.

Of course I'd love him to work out - I am behind him every time he comes on - but I am in the "cash out now" camp.

It hasn't worked out.  I can't see it changing dramatically in this new future.

I'll definitely follow his career which is more than I have done for some of the duds we've flogged, as I like him.

Liverpool have bought three forwards in the last 18 months. Diaz has definitely worked out. Gakpo looks like he will work out. Nunez looks like he won't. Two out of three ain't bad. Take the hit and move on, for the good of both parties.

• Upvote 2

He has the physical attributes, but he seems unable to understand the tactical side of our game. If it's a language thing or he's just a bit thick, who knows, but fact is that our big summer signing is probably fifth in the pecking order. 

It's not that he's lazy or something, but doing things as as collective seems to be an unknown consept for him. His close control is also borderline terrible. We look way better with Jota doing the hard work to the left and Gakbo dropping deep. 

So, he must do some serious work this preseason, or we would be better off taking what cash we can get back.