You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our midfield

Mil-ing Around

Dominic Corness from our U21s is definitely one to keep an eye on.

Most of our young uns look decent but we know they'll never make it at Anfield in the first team but Corness has vision, creativity, a good physique and some pace and power. Plays with a bit of a swagger that you don't see in too many young uns.

The best prospect since Trent.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Most of our young uns look decent but we know they'll never make it at Anfield in the first team but Corness has vision, creativity, a good physique and some pace and power. Plays with a bit of a swagger that you don't see in too many young uns.

They mostly used to say that about Jones too... mostly

22 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

How come he's behind the other kids in midfield if he's our best prospect since Trent? Has he had injuries holding him back or something? 

On 27/08/2022 at 07:13, Anubis said:

I saw a Leicester fan post that if Tielemans came to Liverpool they’d soon know if our players were on PEDs if he lasted more than 50 minutes during a game.

Apparently he really dropped off last season. Maybe that was with all of the speculation about potentially leaving but I don't think that is a great sign, irrespective of where you stand in his footballing ability.

As a footballer my main concern is he looks really slow when out of possession.

I think Arthur is a good player. He's played at the highest level for two massive clubs. I'd much rather him than Tielemans or Neves. 

Our midfield has missed a player who can either run past people with the ball (that's why Luiz wouldn't have been a bad buy) or a player who does not shit him self under pressure (Thiago, but he's injured alot)

I get the fury about FSG, they shouldn't have let it go this far with loan deals on the last day. Our rivals have caught us up, and they should have spent more to keep us ahead.

But I'd much rather Arthur on loan than nobody or a panic buy on a player not good enough, who Klopp won't sell because he's ultra loyal. We'd be stuck with him for 3/4 years then.

Arthur is good on the ball, can play progressive forward passes and receive the ball under pressure. He's also not bad at reading the game and making a tackle. He'll be good for us I think. If he's not we can cancel the loan and do a proper rebuild of the midfield in the summer. Well, we better fucking do anyway. It's not a bad deal for us in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Mil-ing Around said:

I think Arthur is a good player. He's played at the highest level for two massive clubs. I'd much rather him than Tielemans or Neves. 

Our midfield has missed a player who can either run past people with the ball (that's why Luiz wouldn't have been a bad buy) or a player who does not shit him self under pressure (Thiago, but he's injured alot)

I get the fury about FSG, they shouldn't have let it go this far with loan deals on the last day. Our rivals have caught us up, and they should have spent more to keep us ahead.

But I'd much rather Arthur on loan than nobody or a panic buy on a player not good enough, who Klopp won't sell because he's ultra loyal. We'd be stuck with him for 3/4 years then.

Arthur is good on the ball, can play progressive forward passes and receive the ball under pressure. He's also not bad at reading the game and making a tackle. He'll be good for us I think. If he's not we can cancel the loan and do a proper rebuild of the midfield in the summer. Well, we better fucking do anyway. It's not a bad deal for us in my opinion.

I agree with all of this. I just hope he's not injured as often as Keita, Ox or Thiago.

For the first time since Klopp came, I don’t know what our midfield plan is. Obviously injuries aren’t helping, but we don’t seem to have a shape or character as a team.

2015-2017 it was all about pressing with Lallana/Gini flying into them. Then it was more controlled pressing with Gini a fulcrum, turning defend into attack. Over the last 2-3 years it’s evolved to controlled football, passing sides to death when Thiago has been fit.

Now I’ve no idea what the plan is. With the offside interpretation changing, leaving Fabinho and the centre backs isolated leaves is massively vulnerable on the break and having two attacking player way further forward just runs into congestion.

It needs fixing, and fast. 

55 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

For the first time since Klopp came, I don’t know what our midfield plan is. Obviously injuries aren’t helping, but we don’t seem to have a shape or character as a team.

2015-2017 it was all about pressing with Lallana/Gini flying into them. Then it was more controlled pressing with Gini a fulcrum, turning defend into attack. Over the last 2-3 years it’s evolved to controlled football, passing sides to death when Thiago has been fit.

Now I’ve no idea what the plan is. With the offside interpretation changing, leaving Fabinho and the centre backs isolated leaves is massively vulnerable on the break and having two attacking player way further forward just runs into congestion.

It needs fixing, and fast. 

Absolutely spot on. Our midfield has issues no matter who is fit. When we were at our best they were an almost invisible part of the machine. It feels like so much of what we do now breaks down in midfield. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

Absolutely spot on. Our midfield has issues no matter who is fit. When we were at our best they were an almost invisible part of the machine. It feels like so much of what we do now breaks down in midfield. 

Part of that was because we had well-drilled, lightning-quick forwards so often it would feel like the midfield weren’t involved. We’d squeeze and harry and one little flick or 15 yard ball had us in behind. 

For years a lot of internet virgins cried about wanting a proper striker and a creative midfielder when the system meant they were superfluous and would actually be counterproductive. Well, here we are.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

Part of that was because we had well-drilled, lightning-quick forwards so often it would feel like the midfield weren’t involved. We’d squeeze and harry and one little flick or 15 yard ball had us in behind. 

For years a lot of internet virgins cried about wanting a proper striker and a creative midfielder when the system meant they were superfluous and would actually be counterproductive. Well, here we are.

I can't argue with you at all. Spot on.