You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our midfield

Mil-ing Around

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

At 17m he'd feel like a Shaq type signing and with milner, Chamberlain and keita all off the wage bill next season, doesn't really seem like much of a gamble and certainly shouldn't get in the way of any major signing we've for lined up for next year. 

That's what it would have to be but even then those types of signings that we've made in the past end up seeming a bit pointless as Klopp never really trusts these players. I would think about it, but it's just odd that no one wants him. 

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

That's what it would have to be but even then those types of signings that we've made in the past end up seeming a bit pointless as Klopp never really trusts these players. I would think about it, but it's just odd that no one wants him. 

So in an ideal world we'd be off buying the perfect midfielder, but it's clear financially we can't operate in that space. But equally I think it's fair to say the shape of our midfielders means he'd be a more than useful addition. 

I'm not too arsed nobody appears to want him, nobody wanted Salah, robbo, mane, Jota etc. And I'm sure I was reading only a few weeks ago arsenal wanted tielemens and he's holding out for a CL club and he's happy to wait a year for a free if needs be. If the club have scouted him and klopp thinks he's good enough, it doesn't really matter who else wants him. 

If you had told me after the CL final he would be our only addition to midfield, I'd have probably been a little disappointed. But it's not May anymore, the season kicks in for real with 2 games a week from this weekend and the window shuts the middle of next week. And our midfield is on its arse. The only reason not to be in for him would be we've someone better lined up. 

23 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Tielemans is at best going to go for a discounted fee as a last minute signing for someone. He's not fantastic. He has talent, but is pretty flawed.

Yep. he switches off and doesn't really want to be the grafter in their midfield. Seems happy to let Mendy, Ndidi and Double-Barrel do most of the dirty work. Might be a bit harsh, as haven't looked into the numbers on that though, just my impression.

23 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

A player like the Wijnaldum of 3 years ago, we do miss. We got rid of him at the exact right time, though, that's just a fact. 

Yep on both counts.

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

Yeah I'm no fan of Tielemens at all, without the ball I think he's pretty awful. But I think he could do a job at the moment and be sold one without losing money at the very least 

Does a player who doesn't do the things you need, so presumably won't play that often, having signed a lucrative multi year contract at a big club, become more saleable than he is now a year away from being a free transfer?

Sounds like an appeasement signing rather than a football signing.

1 minute ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Think he's just doing the typical Romano thing of quoting a  news paper article (maddock in this instance I think) that, allegedly, says Klopp was reluctant to go for Nunes.

Put as much or as little weight on that as you want depending on your slant.

The game that totally put me off Tielemans was the last game of the season before last. Leicester vs Spurs,Leicester win and its champions league for them. His work rate was fucking abysmal. Switched off on numerous occasions letting midfield runners go and costing Leicester goals. 

12 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Think he's just doing the typical Romano thing of quoting a  news paper article (maddock in this instance I think) that, allegedly, says Klopp was reluctant to go for Nunes.

Put as much or as little weight on that as you want depending on your slant.

He's just quoting klopp today

https://mobile.twitter.com/LivEchoLFC/status/1563277607868567552

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

Yeah it came out in a maddock article earlier (whether someone broke embargo I don't know) because those quotes have been out for an hour or two now.

Here for example

I meant it's not a Romano 'exclusive' that people seem to put so much stock in.

Just now, TD_LFC said:

Yeah it came out in a maddock article earlier (whether someone broke embargo I don't know) because those quotes have been out for an hour or two now.

Here for example

I meant it's not a Romano 'exclusive' that people seem to put so much stock in.

Yeah it looks like maddock went early with the 10.30.embargo stuff. 

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's very overrated, though. He's a player people recognize by name rather than by how he actually plays. His value is supposedly sub 25m, sub 20m even, and no one is jumping at the chance to get him. I'd maybe take him just because we're desperate, but there are red flags all over him. 

For me it is about the context of the problem we have and whether he would help improve the issue.

We have two absolute wastes of space who add nothing in Keita and Oxlade - this lad for circa 20m instantly offers more - instantly helps us.

He may end up a valuable member of our team over next 5 years, he may not - but he'd help us this season and even if it did not work out, we'd get most of our money back on him IMO.

If we strengthen with our top midfield target/targets next summer and he slots into the role Oxlade and or Keita have had as a result when they are bin bagged, he'll still be improving us, because he will likely actually be available when we need him.

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

For me it is about the context of the problem we have and whether he would help improve the issue.

We have two absolute wastes of space who add nothing in Keita and Oxlade - this lad for circa 20m instantly offers more - instantly helps us.

He may end up a valuable member of our team over next 5 years, he may not - but he'd help us this season and even if it did not work out, we'd get most of our money back on him IMO.

If we strengthen with our top midfield target/targets next summer and he slots into the role Oxlade and or Keita have had as a result when they are bin bagged, he'll still be improving us, because he will likely actually be available when we need him.

Spot on. Ideally we wouldn't want to sign these sorts of squad filler, but because we're forced to get them because of finances, we've done it before and sure we will again. And looking at Shaq and minamino for an example, they've both helped. The key is with those players, the moment you know they won't make the step up, plan to get rid and replace them with better. I hate when we hold on to them expecting some stupid fee, leaving them clogging up the team. If you can get your money back, get it and move on. Not every signing has to be strategic, some can be tactical short term fixes..you just need to remember they're short term. 

23 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Spot on. Ideally we wouldn't want to sign these sorts of squad filler, but because we're forced to get them because of finances, we've done it before and sure we will again. And looking at Shaq and minamino for an example, they've both helped. The key is with those players, the moment you know they won't make the step up, plan to get rid and replace them with better. I hate when we hold on to them expecting some stupid fee, leaving them clogging up the team. If you can get your money back, get it and move on. Not every signing has to be strategic, some can be tactical short term fixes..you just need to remember they're short term. 

Especially when you are carrying absolute passengers which is leaving you short.

As it happens i don't think we will buy him or anyone.

There will be noise about us wanting De Jong, but we will ultimately not sign him, it will be 'too difficult' - we'll then be linked with a couple more on deadline day but those deals will not happen 'time just ran out to get anything done'

52 minutes ago, an tha said:

Especially when you are carrying absolute passengers which is leaving you short.

As it happens i don't think we will buy him or anyone.

There will be noise about us wanting De Jong, but we will ultimately not sign him, it will be 'too difficult' - we'll then be linked with a couple more on deadline day but those deals will not happen 'time just ran out to get anything done'

You might be right. I hope you're not. 

1 hour ago, Moo said:

Shame we're pretty much out of the title race before considering reinforcements and an equally important mental boost to a burnt-out team.

If we can get on track and are within 5pts when the world cup starts we are in it still. 

None of Robbo,Matip,Salah,Diaz will go to the world cup and a month's rest will do them good. Good chance a few others don't go aswell

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Could the interest actually be de Jong? He's the 6/8 profile to a tee that Klopp was talking about and the comments about it being expensive and uncertain would make sense.

The reports so far would make it sound a bit unlikely to happen if true. We've offered about 20m less than they've already accepted and his wages would make him our 2nd highest earner unless we someone convince him to take more of a pay cut. Put that against a deadline next week and it's hard to see a deal getting done. 

I wouldn't be shocked to see us sign him on loan with an option, a little like the deal that took coutinho to Munich. It would open up some wages at least for Barcelona to sign someone other random and kick the can down the road on the deferred wages.